[Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.0.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The Lazarus team is glad to announce the release of Lazarus 2.0.0.

This release was built with FPC 3.0.4.
The previous release Lazarus 1.8.4 was built with FPC 3.0.4 as well.

Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.x:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

The release is available for download on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 2.0.0" directory.

Checksums for the SourceForge files:
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=checksums#2_0_0

Minimum requirements:

Windows:
  2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
  gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

Mac OS X:
  10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and
  qt5 (32 or 64bit).

The svn tag is
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_2_0_0

For people who are blocked by SF, the Lazarus releases from SourceForge
are mirrored at: ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/
and later at (after some time for synchronization)
http://mirrors.iwi.me/lazarus/

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.0.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Great.
Should we deinstall Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 and install 2.0.0, or are there
only very minor between these versions?

Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.0.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 13:30:19 +0100
Joe via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great.
> Should we deinstall Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 and install 2.0.0, or are there
> only very minor between these versions?

The 2.0.0 is a bugfix release of 2.0.0RC3.

I recommend installing 2.0.0, as the wiki page lists more than a
hundred bugfixes:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

[Lazarus] alternative to web programming?

has somebody tried the product above?

Can it be a real alternative to web programming?

Thank you

Peppe Polpo

Re: [Lazarus] alternative to web programming?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
IMO the best things about creating and using html + css for web applications is the power of the design. That is, you can easily style the look of a web application to be practically anything, including dead simple animations and transforms. So then using a framework where you have to design the interface by using a non html + css  tool, you end up with difficult to stylize user interfaces.

That type of toolchain seems very counter productive to me. I've even say it wastes a lot of time for developers and graphic designers  since adding elements and changing styles can be tweaked by anyone on your team purely through built in browser developer tools (F12 on Windows and Linux with most all browsers). If you're going to be dropping in html or css changes, your workflow is going to be more difficult if you're fighting fight with some non html + css layout tools.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019, duilio foschi via lazarus wrote:

> https://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/
>
> has somebody tried the product above?
>
> Can it be a real alternative to web programming?

Not really. It's basically a remote desktop session in a browser.
Some kind of terminal server solution.
How they can claim this is super scalable is beyond me.

I tried once something similar (https://www.awingu.com/),
but had to give up. The application was too complex and the setup was too
demanding.

And you're still running a desktop app, so no responsiveness, no CSS tricks.
With today's variety in devices, it's a dead end IMO.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.0.0

El 5/2/19 a les 11:48, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus ha escrit:
> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the release of Lazarus 2.0.0.
>
> This release was built with FPC 3.0.4.
> The previous release Lazarus 1.8.4 was built with FPC 3.0.4 as well.
>
> Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes

I found that changing a value of a spinedit by code now triggers the
OnChange handler, it didn't happen in 1.8.4 and it isn't listed in the
release notes.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.0.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 14/2/19 a les 8:53, Luca Olivetti via lazarus ha escrit:

> El 5/2/19 a les 11:48, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus ha escrit:
>> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the release of Lazarus 2.0.0.
>>
>> This release was built with FPC 3.0.4.
>> The previous release Lazarus 1.8.4 was built with FPC 3.0.4 as well.
>>
>> Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
>
> I found that changing a value of a spinedit by code now triggers the
> OnChange handler, it didn't happen in 1.8.4 and it isn't listed in the
> release notes.

Actually it did that even with 1.8.4 but only after FormCreate, i.e., if
I change the value in FormCreate it doesn't trigger OnChange, in
FormShow and later it does.
2.0 triggers it even during FormCreate.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: [Lazarus] alternative to web programming?

There are application that require a „stylish“ GUI for optimum user satisfaction, …. And there are applications that do their thing more or less on their own, requiring human attention only for configuration and service.

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] alternative to web programming?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The idea is interesting, but the implementation not so. All demos are
unusably slow and unless this spawns a VM for each instance, i
wouldn't trust any sort of "FS virtualization" they have to not be
broken - Win32 desktop APIs were not designed for applications to be
isolated from each other. This could make it only usable for
intranets, but even then the performance is so abysmal as to severely
impact any sort of productivity. And honestly, would you want to be
the poor clerk who'd have this sort of crappy responsiveness imposed
on them 8h/day?

There might be some very few uses for this, but i'm certain that there
are also better solutions for those few uses too (and some would be
solved with something like noVNC).