[Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

silvioprog
Hi guys,

In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in Lazarus?

Thanks.

--
Silvio Clécio
Blog. blog.silvioprog.com.br

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:07:52 -0200
silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
> Lazarus?

No.

2011/1/31 Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]>
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:07:52 -0200
silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
> Lazarus?

No.

Mattias

x(

--
Silvio Clécio
Blog. blog.silvioprog.com.br
Twitter. twitter.com/silvioprog

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Paul Ishenin-2
01.02.2011 6:45, silvioprog wrote:
> x(

There are many features which are nice to have but we should release 1.0
version some day. We can't implement everything for 1.0 version. Let's
postpone something like this one.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Hans-Peter Diettrich
silvioprog schrieb:

> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
> Lazarus?

No.

What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Graeme Geldenhuys
Op 2011-02-01 01:07, silvioprog het geskryf:

> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
> Lazarus?

As a work-around, increase the 'recent file' and 'recent project' count
from 5 (default) to say 20. This then allows you to easily get to all
your common projects.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 04:28:23 +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>silvioprog schrieb:
>
>> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
>> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
>> Lazarus?
>
>No.
>
>What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?

I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
project group concept to keep these easily accessible.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 04:28:23 +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> silvioprog schrieb:
>>
>>> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
>>> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
>>> Lazarus?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?
>>

> I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
> can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
> the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
> closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
> they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
> project group concept to keep these easily accessible.

Indeed.

I discussed once with Mattias Gaertner about project groups (I use them a
lot in Delphi, and miss them sorely in Lazarus). Unfortunately, my simplistic
approach was quickly proven to be not sufficient for all the complex things
that the IDE does, so - for lack of time - I postponed it.

But I kept the design in my todo list.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Sven Barth
Am 01.02.2011 00:07, schrieb silvioprog:
> Hi guys,
>
> In Delphi7 I use only one file (bpg) to manage my projects (to open
> projects, compiles, deletes etc.) Currently this feature is present in
> Lazarus?

Already requested some time ago by me here:

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Marco van de Voort
On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:03:43AM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:

> >No.
> >
> >What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?
> >

> I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
> can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
> the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
> closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
> they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
> project group concept to keep these easily accessible.

I never use them, since switching project without completely closing the
former project on Delphi is troublesome if you use relative paths.

Am 01.02.2011 13:27, schrieb Marco van de Voort:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:03:43AM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> No.
>>>
>>> What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?
>>>

>> I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
>> can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
>> the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
>> closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
>> they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
>> project group concept to keep these easily accessible.
>
> I never use them, since switching project without completely closing the
> former project on Delphi is troublesome if you use relative paths.

I have never experienced something like this. Would you please explain?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Sven Barth wrote:

>>> I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
>>> can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
>>> the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
>>> closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
>>> they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
>>> project group concept to keep these easily accessible.
>>
>> I never use them, since switching project without completely closing the
>> former project on Delphi is troublesome if you use relative paths.
>
> I have never experienced something like this. Would you please explain?

+1.
I use them since 12 years, with 50+ projects in one group. Never a glitch.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

Graeme Geldenhuys
>> I have never experienced something like this. Would you please explain?
>
> +1. I use them since 12 years, with 50+ projects in one group. Never a
> glitch.

+1
In my years of using Delphi 7, I never had a problem with project groups.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 01:28:05PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> >> project group concept to keep these easily accessible.
> >
> > I never use them, since switching project without completely closing the
> > former project on Delphi is troublesome if you use relative paths.
>
> I have never experienced something like this. Would you please explain?

There are two problems:

To be able to check out something from a revision system, and build on the
spot, I have relative paths in my project's unit path.

I also have certain files with fixed names in every project.  (e.g.  an
include file with compiler directives etc)

If I change from checkout1 to checkout2 or from project to project, files
opened that exist in both source and the target project remain opened, but
are the wrong versions.

Somehow the project (current?) dir is not changed properly and/or files are
not reloaded with new settings.

A basic workaround is always closing projects before opening new ones. This
forces all open files closed and reloads the context from the new project.

I have this with all Delphi versions btw, d6..DXE

Am 01.02.2011 14:35, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> If I change from checkout1 to checkout2 or from project to project, files
> opened that exist in both source and the target project remain opened, but
> are the wrong versions.

That's why I have not experienced that problem yet ^^

2011/1/31 Paul Ishenin <[hidden email]>
01.02.2011 6:45, silvioprog wrote:
x(

There are many features which are nice to have but we should release 1.0 version some day. We can't implement everything for 1.0 version. Let's postpone something like this one.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin

So, I think it will take a while. :/

Thansk Paul. ;}D

2011/2/1 Hans-Peter Diettrich <[hidden email]>

What special features of a ProjectGroup are you missing?

DoDi

Keep and manage my projects (about 25) in a single file.

( /o/o/ AllProjects.lpg \o\o\o\ )

2011/2/1 Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]>
As a work-around, increase the 'recent file' and 'recent project' count
from 5 (default) to say 20. This then allows you to easily get to all
your common projects.

Regards,
 - Graeme -

I already do :T. But I wanted to distribute the file.

Thanks. ;)

2011/2/1 Bo Berglund <[hidden email]>

I also use project groups a lot in Delphi. The advantage is that you
can instantly switch from one project to another without reloading all
the files etc. We work (in Delphi) with applications that have other
closely related binaries like dll:s and test applications and often
they also share source files. So it is *very* convenient to use the
project group concept to keep these easily accessible.

Yes. :)

On Delphi I had only one file to easily manage all my projects.

--
Silvio Clécio
Blog. blog.silvioprog.com.br
Twitter. twitter.com/silvioprog

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Project Group

silvioprog
2011/2/1 Sven Barth <[hidden email]>
Already requested some time ago by me here: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=18518

"(0045306)
Paul Ishenin (manager)
2011-01-19 12:54

  Let's think about this feature after 1.0 release".

After 1.0... D':

Thanks, I will wait anxiously for it.