[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I installed Lazarus 2.0.6 a few hours ago into a fully updated
Raspbian Buster on an RPi4B 4GB system. Interfacing to it using
RealVNC to my Windows7 laptop.

I opened the current project and checked that it would build etc. No
problems.

Then I started write a section of description comments at the top of a
source file and when I was almost done and clicked in the editor
window a few lines down to move the cursor, Lazarus suddenly just
unloaded on me!!!
Desktop still there and all seemingly working OK except Lazarus had
disappeared.

All edits lost when I restarted Lazarus. :-(

I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On 01/11/2019 22:10, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> I installed Lazarus 2.0.6 a few hours ago into a fully updated
> Raspbian Buster on an RPi4B 4GB system. Interfacing to it using
> RealVNC to my Windows7 laptop.
>
> I opened the current project and checked that it would build etc. No
> problems.
>
> Then I started write a section of description comments at the top of a
> source file and when I was almost done and clicked in the editor
> window a few lines down to move the cursor, Lazarus suddenly just
> unloaded on me!!!
> Desktop still there and all seemingly working OK except Lazarus had
> disappeared.
>
> All edits lost when I restarted Lazarus. :-(
>
> I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
> the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?
Good question "why". That can't be answered easily. And the issue could
be new or old.

Unfortunately more info would be needed. So it depends how reproducible
the issue is.
It could easily be something related to RP (and then may happen again).
Or Gtk (2 or 3 ?).

Is there a core file? If yes, try to get a trace with gdb.

If it can be reproduced, try getting a stacktrace. If the IDE is build
with debug info, and run from console (or with --debug-log=file) then it
will in most cases print a trace of the crash.
If it does not print a trace, then running the IDE (still with debug
info) under gdb can help.

Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...

On 01.11.2019 23:03, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
> Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...

The project is always automatically saved when you compile it.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 06:00:44 +0100, Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 01.11.2019 23:03, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
>> Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...
>
>The project is always automatically saved when you compile it.

Yes, I know that and it works fine.

But this happened while I was busy writing a description of the
application data file usage and where what goes where.
I put this into the comment section I always have at the top of the
file (below the unit name line).
Luckily I did not have any actual code changes at the time so only my
comments were lost and had to be re-created.
It was my first code editing after installing the needed packages into
Lazarus 2.0.6

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 23:03:16 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
>> the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?
>Good question "why". That can't be answered easily. And the issue could
>be new or old.
>
>Unfortunately more info would be needed. So it depends how reproducible
>the issue is.
>It could easily be something related to RP (and then may happen again).
>Or Gtk (2 or 3 ?).
>
>Is there a core file? If yes, try to get a trace with gdb.
>
>If it can be reproduced, try getting a stacktrace. If the IDE is build
>with debug info, and run from console (or with --debug-log=file) then it
>will in most cases print a trace of the crash.
>If it does not print a trace, then running the IDE (still with debug
>info) under gdb can help.

Now it happened again!
I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
(external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.

When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!

I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.

On 02/11/2019 14:48, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> Now it happened again!
> I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
> (external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.
>
> When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
> copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!
>
> I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.
It would be really helpful if you could try to get a trace. (see my last
reply)
Otherwise this issue may be present for a lot of future versions.