[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I installed Lazarus 2.0.6 a few hours ago into a fully updated
Raspbian Buster on an RPi4B 4GB system. Interfacing to it using
RealVNC to my Windows7 laptop.

I opened the current project and checked that it would build etc. No
problems.

Then I started write a section of description comments at the top of a
source file and when I was almost done and clicked in the editor
window a few lines down to move the cursor, Lazarus suddenly just
unloaded on me!!!
Desktop still there and all seemingly working OK except Lazarus had
disappeared.

All edits lost when I restarted Lazarus. :-(

I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On 01/11/2019 22:10, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> I installed Lazarus 2.0.6 a few hours ago into a fully updated
> Raspbian Buster on an RPi4B 4GB system. Interfacing to it using
> RealVNC to my Windows7 laptop.
>
> I opened the current project and checked that it would build etc. No
> problems.
>
> Then I started write a section of description comments at the top of a
> source file and when I was almost done and clicked in the editor
> window a few lines down to move the cursor, Lazarus suddenly just
> unloaded on me!!!
> Desktop still there and all seemingly working OK except Lazarus had
> disappeared.
>
> All edits lost when I restarted Lazarus. :-(
>
> I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
> the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?
Good question "why". That can't be answered easily. And the issue could
be new or old.

Unfortunately more info would be needed. So it depends how reproducible
the issue is.
It could easily be something related to RP (and then may happen again).
Or Gtk (2 or 3 ?).

Is there a core file? If yes, try to get a trace with gdb.

If it can be reproduced, try getting a stacktrace. If the IDE is build
with debug info, and run from console (or with --debug-log=file) then it
will in most cases print a trace of the crash.
If it does not print a trace, then running the IDE (still with debug
info) under gdb can help.

Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...

On 01.11.2019 23:03, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
> Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...

The project is always automatically saved when you compile it.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 06:00:44 +0100, Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 01.11.2019 23:03, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
>> Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...
>
>The project is always automatically saved when you compile it.

Yes, I know that and it works fine.

But this happened while I was busy writing a description of the
application data file usage and where what goes where.
I put this into the comment section I always have at the top of the
file (below the unit name line).
Luckily I did not have any actual code changes at the time so only my
comments were lost and had to be re-created.
It was my first code editing after installing the needed packages into
Lazarus 2.0.6

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 23:03:16 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
>> the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?
>Good question "why". That can't be answered easily. And the issue could
>be new or old.
>
>Unfortunately more info would be needed. So it depends how reproducible
>the issue is.
>It could easily be something related to RP (and then may happen again).
>Or Gtk (2 or 3 ?).
>
>Is there a core file? If yes, try to get a trace with gdb.
>
>If it can be reproduced, try getting a stacktrace. If the IDE is build
>with debug info, and run from console (or with --debug-log=file) then it
>will in most cases print a trace of the crash.
>If it does not print a trace, then running the IDE (still with debug
>info) under gdb can help.

Now it happened again!
I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
(external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.

When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!

I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.

On 02/11/2019 14:48, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> Now it happened again!
> I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
> (external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.
>
> When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
> copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!
>
> I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.
It would be really helpful if you could try to get a trace. (see my last
reply)
Otherwise this issue may be present for a lot of future versions.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 15:37:23 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 02/11/2019 14:48, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Now it happened again!
>> I was compiling the program then executing it inside a terminal
>> (external to Lazarus) and then repeating this to find my bug.
>>
>> When I found it I doubleclicked the name of my logging component to
>> copy its name, but instead instanly Lazarus disappeared!
>>
>> I will now revert back to Lazarus 2.0.4 instead.
>It would be really helpful if you could try to get a trace. (see my last
>reply)
>Otherwise this issue may be present for a lot of future versions.

I've been away from this for a while doing circuit board design for
the RPi plug-in card I will need for the functionality of my project.
Now back to coding and I am doing it on the target system since it is
not possible for me to cross-compile for RPi on my Windows system. I
never managed to understand how to make it work....

So I am on a VNC connection using RealVNC on my Win7 laptop towards
the RPi4 system running a fully updated Raspbian Buster.

And I have been bitten several times the last days by the suddenly
disappearing Lazarus application....

So I switched to Lazarus 2.0.4 in order to use that instead of the
2.0.6 I thought was the culprit.
Turns out I was wrong! I get these crashes also on 2.0.4...

So now I need to get into a situation where I can safely develop the
code on my Windows 7 machine instead (there I have NEVER seen this
happen). It is no fun when code worked on for an hour suddenly just
disappears.

But there are several places in the code where Linux specific
constructs are used, for example I use the PiGpio unit which is RPi
specific and I have no way to redirect that to the Windows
environment. On test compilations I get a large number of errors
relating to unix etc.

So is there some way I can enable cross-compiling for Linux (i.e.
Raspbian on RPi4) on my Windows7 installation?

Unlike on Raspbian I have not built fpc/lazarus from sources but
rather used the official installer found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2064%20bits/Lazarus%202.0.4/

There is also a cross-compiler on that page but probably not what I
need since it only mentions the Intel architecture...

On 24/11/2019 01:30, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
> And I have been bitten several times the last days by the suddenly
> disappearing Lazarus application....

If you can.... Run your Lazarus in gdb.
    gdb path/to/lazarus

and then in gdb hit r and return.

I know you want to get away from more crashes. And this will mean at
least one more of them.

It is highly likely that gdb will report some sort of sigsegv or the
like. And then allow for a backtrace to be made.
Of course that assumes, that your lazarus is compiled with debug info.

You can also look into your home dir (or where you start lazarus from),
or maybe the lazarus dir, or ~/.lazarus.
Maybe there is a lazarus.core file. Then you already have what you need.
Or well, only if it has debug info.
    gdb path/to/lazarus path/to/lazarus.core
   bt
according to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5115613/core-dump-file-analysis

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:21:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 24/11/2019 01:30, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>> And I have been bitten several times the last days by the suddenly
>> disappearing Lazarus application....
>
>If you can.... Run your Lazarus in gdb.
>    gdb path/to/lazarus
>
>and then in gdb hit r and return.

I always start lazarus in the GUI using the menu command.
During installation I create a version dependent .lazarus_2.0.x dir so
I can use different versions on the same system. So the command to
start lazarus in the desktop file is:

Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f

What should I do in order to make this work through gdb?

>I know you want to get away from more crashes. And this will mean at
>least one more of them.
>
>It is highly likely that gdb will report some sort of sigsegv or the
>like. And then allow for a backtrace to be made.
>Of course that assumes, that your lazarus is compiled with debug info.

I believe it has because:
- I have not stripped lazarus or startlazarus after ide rebuilds
- The size of lazarus is 260,249,068 bytes
- The size of startlazarus is 29,995,584 bytes

>You can also look into your home dir (or where you start lazarus from),
>or maybe the lazarus dir, or ~/.lazarus.
>Maybe there is a lazarus.core file. Then you already have what you need.

pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ sudo find ./ -name *.core
pi@rpi4-gui:~ $

So at least below home there is no such file...

>Or well, only if it has debug info.
>    gdb path/to/lazarus path/to/lazarus.core
>   bt
>according to
>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5115613/core-dump-file-analysis

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 24/11/19 a les 10:22, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha escrit:

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:21:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 24/11/2019 01:30, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>>> And I have been bitten several times the last days by the suddenly
>>> disappearing Lazarus application....
>>
>> If you can.... Run your Lazarus in gdb.
>>     gdb path/to/lazarus
>>
>> and then in gdb hit r and return.
>
> I always start lazarus in the GUI using the menu command.
> During installation I create a version dependent .lazarus_2.0.x dir so
> I can use different versions on the same system. So the command to
> start lazarus in the desktop file is:
>
> Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f
>
> What should I do in order to make this work through gdb?

gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus
r --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6

I don't know much about gdb (I always use it through the ide) but "man
gdb" would have told you that (r is an abbreviation for run):

"
        Here are some of the most frequently needed GDB commands:

        break [file:]function
            Set a breakpoint at function (in file).

--->   run [arglist]
            Start your program (with arglist, if specified).

        bt  Backtrace: display the program stack.
"

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

On 24/11/2019 10:22, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:21:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you can.... Run your Lazarus in gdb.
>>     gdb path/to/lazarus
>>
>> and then in gdb hit r and return.
> I can use different versions on the same system. So the command to
> start lazarus in the desktop file is:
>
> Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f
>
> What should I do in order to make this work through gdb?
gdb path/to/lazarus
r  --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6

path/to would be either
- if writeable: /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/
- otherwise /home/user/.lazarus_2.0.6/
(startlazarus is only needed for: restart and if your laz-install dir is
write-protected (admin install for all users). In the latter case the
rebuild IDE goes into the config path, so each user can have its own
rebuild.)

The %f is missing, so you cant double click the file.
But you need to run gdb from a terminal (so you can execute bt later),
so you need to open the file once the IDE runs.

Check the size of the lazarus executable. It should be over 100MB
(probably over 200). If not you first need to recompile the IDE with
debug settings.
Menu Tools > Configure build lazarus
in the "options" memo enter: -gw
and check "clean all" radio button.

> I believe it has because:
> - I have not stripped lazarus or startlazarus after ide rebuilds
> - The size of lazarus is 260,249,068 bytes
Yes that look good

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On 24/11/2019 10:22, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
> Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f

Off topic, if you use this as a single user system, you can put the pcp
into a file called lazarus.cfg
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Using_lazarus.cfg_file

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 14:46:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 24/11/2019 10:22, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:21:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you can.... Run your Lazarus in gdb.
>>>     gdb path/to/lazarus
>>>
>>> and then in gdb hit r and return.
>> I can use different versions on the same system. So the command to
>> start lazarus in the desktop file is:
>>
>> Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
>> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f
>>
>> What should I do in order to make this work through gdb?
>gdb path/to/lazarus
>r  --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
>
>path/to would be either
>- if writeable: /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/
>- otherwise /home/user/.lazarus_2.0.6/

I tried but....
pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus r
--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
gdb: unrecognized option '--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6'
Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.

So now the --pcp... argument to lazarus becomes an argument to gdb???

>(startlazarus is only needed for: restart and if your laz-install dir is
>write-protected (admin install for all users). In the latter case the
>rebuild IDE goes into the config path, so each user can have its own
>rebuild.)

Does this mean that I should change the Exec in the desktop file
should be changed from startlazarus to simply lazarus?

>The %f is missing, so you cant double click the file.
>But you need to run gdb from a terminal (so you can execute bt later),

>so you need to open the file once the IDE runs.

Normally the previously open project is loaded as soon as the Lazarus
IDE runs, is this not going to happen now (provided one can get rid of
the error message above)? I assume you mean open the project?

On 24/11/2019 18:27, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 14:46:11 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 24/11/2019 10:22, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

>>> I can use different versions on the same system. So the command to
>>> start lazarus in the desktop file is:
>>>
>>> Exec=/home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/startlazarus
>>> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6 %f
>>>
>>> What should I do in order to make this work through gdb?
>> gdb path/to/lazarus
>> r  --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
>>
>> path/to would be either
>> - if writeable: /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/
>> - otherwise /home/user/.lazarus_2.0.6/
> I tried but....
> pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus r
> --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
> gdb: unrecognized option '--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6'
> Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.
the "r --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6" is only entered once gdb runs.

Gdb has an interactive console interface of its own.
Enter (in a terminal) "gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus " and you
get a "(gdb)" prompt.
At this prompt you do enter the "r..."

>> (startlazarus is only needed for: restart and if your laz-install dir is
>> write-protected (admin install for all users). In the latter case the
>> rebuild IDE goes into the config path, so each user can have its own
>> rebuild.)
> Does this mean that I should change the Exec in the desktop file
> should be changed from startlazarus to simply lazarus?
In this case you can.
The entire lazarus is in your home directory. So
- no one else is using it, and if they were they would use your build,
and your config (rather than one install for many users, with a diff
config for each user (and diff installed packages)
- the directory is (I assume) writeable to the IDE, when it rebuilds.
(I.e. the IDE runs as the user, who has write access).
   Therefore the IDE should (for all I know) place its new build into
this dir.

I generally do the same, and always start lazarus, never startlazarus.
(the latter is still be called, if I restart the IDE from the menu)

-----
*nix is multi user. So the root user could install a lazarus accessible
to all users. But users could not write to this directory.
Each user then has its config in their home dir. And if they install a
package it affects only the one user. The rebuild (which anyway can not
be written to the main dir by this user) will then be placed in the
personal config dir.
Calling startlazarus in the main install dir, startlazarus will find the
pcp, and check for a newer lazarus. If none found, it uses the lazarus
from the install dir.

-------
If your install is for one user only, you can put the --pcp argument
into the lazarus.cfg file (in the main install dir). This does not
support multiple configs for multiple users.
But if you have several installs in your home folder, then each of them
can have such a lazarus.cfg file.
The advantage is, that the config path will be found, even if you start
lazarus or startlazarus (from that install folder in your home) without
specifying an pcp argument.

All my installs have that, and I just open the folder and click the
lazarus executable

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:27:40 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus

>I tried but....
>pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus r
>--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
>gdb: unrecognized option '--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6'
>Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.
>
>So now the --pcp... argument to lazarus becomes an argument to gdb???
>

>>(startlazarus is only needed for: restart and if your laz-install dir is
>>write-protected (admin install for all users). In the latter case the
>>rebuild IDE goes into the config path, so each user can have its own
>>rebuild.)
>
>Does this mean that I should change the Exec in the desktop file
>should be changed from startlazarus to simply lazarus?
>
>>The %f is missing, so you cant double click the file.
>>But you need to run gdb from a terminal (so you can execute bt later),
>
>>so you need to open the file once the IDE runs.
>
>Normally the previously open project is loaded as soon as the Lazarus
>IDE runs, is this not going to happen now (provided one can get rid of
>the error message above)? I assume you mean open the project?
>
>--

After reading the gdb --help screen:

pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ gdb --args /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus
--pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6
GNU gdb (Raspbian 8.2.1-2) 8.2.1
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus...done.
(gdb) quit
pi@rpi4-gui:~ $

--args needed to send the last arguments to the application
Still Lazarus does not show up on screen...

On 24/11/2019 20:42, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> After reading the gdb --help screen:
>
> pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ gdb --args /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus
No --args

In the terminal enter

gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus

then wait for the gdb output. It will end with a "(gdb)" prompt.
Now enter

r --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6

Then when the IDE encounters the issue that closes it, the IDE will
probably freeze. (paused by gdb)
Gdb will probably print something about SigSegv (or similar), and gdb
will show a prompt again.
At that prompt, you can now type
bt

and gdb will print the stack for the issue.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 20:52:49 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>In the terminal enter
>
>gdb /home/pi/dev/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus
>

>then wait for the gdb output. It will end with a "(gdb)" prompt.
>Now enter
>
>r --pcp=/home/pi/.lazarus_2.0.6

OK, This worked!
Now I have a Lazarus IDE running after starting via gdb.
Lets see how long it will take before the next crash...

I really do want to work via VNC because then I can use my Win7 PC for
researching stuff and copy code into Lazarus when done.
If I run directly from the RPi hardware I cannot do that..

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:31:51 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>OK, This worked!
>Now I have a Lazarus IDE running after starting via gdb.
>Lets see how long it will take before the next crash...

So it has been running fine now for 72 hours while I have coded a lot.
No crashes that plagued me last week. :)

Two possibilities:
1) GDB itself makes the Lazarus application behave better?
2) Not using startlazarus when starting lazarus?

I did use the lazarus program for gdb and not startlazarus...

If it is the second item then I could well create another desktop file
that starts lazarus directly instead of using startlazarus in the exec
command in the desktop file.

OTOH, if I want to add a package to Lazarus it is my understanding
that it needs startlazarus in order to recompile itself properly.
So is that only possible if I have started lazarus by startlazarus or
will it be able to do the same also if it runs from lazarus only?

Note that here I am talking about running in Linux (Raspbian) and NOT
on Windows...

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:08:30 +0100
Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:31:51 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >OK, This worked!
> >Now I have a Lazarus IDE running after starting via gdb.
> >Lets see how long it will take before the next crash...
>
> So it has been running fine now for 72 hours while I have coded a lot.
> No crashes that plagued me last week. :)
>
> Two possibilities:
> 1) GDB itself makes the Lazarus application behave better?
> 2) Not using startlazarus when starting lazarus?
>
> I did use the lazarus program for gdb and not startlazarus...
>
> If it is the second item then I could well create another desktop file
> that starts lazarus directly instead of using startlazarus in the exec
> command in the desktop file.
>
> OTOH, if I want to add a package to Lazarus it is my understanding
> that it needs startlazarus in order to recompile itself properly.
> So is that only possible if I have started lazarus by startlazarus or
> will it be able to do the same also if it runs from lazarus only?

It can be started either way.
The restart uses startlazarus.
Of course you can just close and start it manually as well.

On 28/11/2019 12:08, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:31:51 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> OK, This worked!
>> Now I have a Lazarus IDE running after starting via gdb.
>> Lets see how long it will take before the next crash...
> So it has been running fine now for 72 hours while I have coded a lot.
> No crashes that plagued me last week. :)
>
> Two possibilities:
> 1) GDB itself makes the Lazarus application behave better?
> 2) Not using startlazarus when starting lazarus?
>
> I did use the lazarus program for gdb and not startlazarus...

Yes, it is important to use "lazarus" not "startlazarus" in gdb.
gdb only debugs the program it started. By default it will not do
anything to sub  processes. That also means restarting the IDE will stop
it from being debugged.

gdb should not have much effect. So there a slight changes in timing (eg
when libraries are loaded). This could change race-conditions.

It could be something different in the remote connection....

There could be a bug in startlazarus, and maybe it started an old/buggy
lazarus from some other place... (not sure, but....)

Or it could be, that when launching in GDB (and with that in a terminal)
there is a console.
That means, if someone put an unprotected "writeln" somewhere in the IDE
code, it could write to console. Otherwise stdout would be a closed handle.

You could try running lazarus, without gdb, but with output redirection
to a file.
Lazarus has some logging that checks for an open console. So there will
be content in that file, that does not confirm anything about a rogue
writeln. But if there were no crash, it could be a hint.