[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I am trying to test Lazarus 1.8 RC1 (and following versions) under
Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL.
But unfortunately I could not find any instructions or scripts helping
to install *this* RC.
Any hint?
Regards -Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 25 May 2017 18:46:43 +0200, Joe via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am trying to test Lazarus 1.8 RC1 (and following versions) under
>Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL.
>But unfortunately I could not find any instructions or scripts helping
>to install *this* RC.
>Any hint?

You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.
http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh

In order to get the version you need just edit the script before
running it and replace the versions at the top of the file with the
one you want.
It will install into the pi user space rather than make a global
installation using sudo.

I have not tested with the more recent Lazarus 1.8, but it worked fine
with 1.6RCx and 1.6 release.

On 26/05/17 11:20, Bo Berglund via Lazarus wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2017 18:46:43 +0200, Joe via Lazarus<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am trying to test Lazarus 1.8 RC1 (and following versions) under >Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL.>But unfortunately I could not find any instructions or scripts helping >to install *this* RC.>Any hint?
> You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
> In order to get the version you need just edit the script beforerunning it and replace the versions at the top of the file with theone you want.It will install into the pi user space rather than make a globalinstallation using sudo.
> I have not tested with the more recent Lazarus 1.8, but it worked finewith 1.6RCx and 1.6 release.

Just to check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any
surprises, with FPC 3.0.2 installed:

svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
cd lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
make

That worked as expected.

make clean bigide

That also worked, except that there was a message about
EditorMacroScript at startup. A purist woult probably object that the
binary hadn't been added to the desktop environment's menu.

That's an up-to-date "full" Raspbian (i.e. not "lite").

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:29:50 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Just to check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any
>surprises, with FPC 3.0.2 installed:
>
>svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
>cd lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
>make
>
>That worked as expected.
>
>make clean bigide
>
>That also worked, except that there was a message about
>EditorMacroScript at startup. A purist woult probably object that the
>binary hadn't been added to the desktop environment's menu.
>
>That's an up-to-date "full" Raspbian (i.e. not "lite").

I made the script in order to install "everything" on a bare bones RPi
with Raspbian from the install image. So it therefore also installs
FPC, then Lazarus. And it uses a start compiler I made myself since I
could not find any 3.0.0 FPC for ARMHF on RPi at the time.
It is downloaded as part of running the script.

On 26/05/17 15:02, Bo Berglund via Lazarus wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:29:50 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just to check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any >surprises, with FPC 3.0.2 installed:>>svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1>cd lazarus_1_8_0_RC1>make>>That worked as expected.>>make clean bigide>>That also worked, except that there was a message about >EditorMacroScript at startup. A purist woult probably object that the >binary hadn't been added to the desktop environment's menu.>>That's an up-to-date "full" Raspbian (i.e. not "lite").
> I made the script in order to install "everything" on a bare bones RPiwith Raspbian from the install image. So it therefore also installsFPC, then Lazarus. And it uses a start compiler I made myself since Icould not find any 3.0.0 FPC for ARMHF on RPi at the time.It is downloaded as part of running the script.

My apologies, but since you hadn't tested it for the current RC I
assumed you'd abandoned it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 26 May 2017 15:52:06 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>My apologies, but since you hadn't tested it for the current RC I
>assumed you'd abandoned it.

No apology needed!

It's just that I have 6 RPi:s running at home for different purposes
and those I use for FPC programming are working well as it is, so I
have not even looked for new releases of Lazarus recently.

The script was done for this:
1) To simplify the initial installation on a brand new RPi
2) To make sure the install is done to the pi environment rather than
global with sudo.

On 26/05/17 21:20, Bo Berglund via Lazarus wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2017 15:52:06 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My apologies, but since you hadn't tested it for the current RC I >assumed you'd abandoned it.
> No apology needed!
> It's just that I have 6 RPi:s running at home for different purposesand those I use for FPC programming are working well as it is, so Ihave not even looked for new releases of Lazarus recently.
> The script was done for this:1) To simplify the initial installation on a brand new RPi2) To make sure the install is done to the pi environment rather thanglobal with sudo.

Noted. But I'd got one next to me earmarked for development onto which I
could easily checkout the RC (using the original published URL) and
where I could check the build using the basic commands that the
developers expected and which are probably buried somewhere in the Wiki :-)

Am 26.05.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
> You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.
> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>
> In order to get the version you need just edit the script before
> running it and replace the versions at the top of the file with the
> one you want.
Bo,
unfortunately, this failed with error message something could not be
found. Seems, I did not edit the script the right way.
What lines are to be edited and exactly how for Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1?
Thanx -- Joe

Am 26.05.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus:

> Just to check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any
> surprises, with FPC 3.0.2 installed:
>
> svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
> cd lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
> make
>
> That worked as expected.
>
> make clean bigide

Mark,
I installed FPC 3.0.2 and then followed your proposal. But the
compilation of Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1 was aborted with an error message
saying FPC 3.0.0 was needed.
How to fix?
Regards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:25:56 +0200
Joe via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 26.05.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus:
> > Just to check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any
> > surprises, with FPC 3.0.2 installed:
> >
> > svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
> > cd lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
> > make
> >
> > That worked as expected.
> >
> > make clean bigide
>
> Mark,
> I installed FPC 3.0.2 and then followed your proposal. But the
> compilation of Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1 was aborted with an error message
> saying FPC 3.0.0 was needed.

What is the exact error message?

On 27/05/17 09:40, Joe via Lazarus wrote:
> Am 26.05.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus:> Just to
> check the "standard way of doing it" in case there's any > surprises,
> with FPC 3.0.2 installed:>> svn co
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1> cd
> lazarus_1_8_0_RC1> make>> That worked as expected.>> make clean bigide
> Mark,I installed FPC 3.0.2 and then followed your proposal. But the
> compilation of Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1 was aborted with an error message
> saying FPC 3.0.0 was needed.How to fix?

Make sure that the ppcarm command points to the 3.0.2 binary. Here's
what I've got in my /usr/local/bin:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 12 Mar 25 14:14 ppcarm -> ppcarm-3.0.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 31 Mar 25 14:13 ppcarm-3.0.2 ->
/usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.2/ppcarm

The fpc -v command should give you version info:

$ fpc -v
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.2 [2017/03/02] for arm
Copyright (c) 1993-2017 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Fatal: No source file name in command line
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppcarm returned an error exitcode

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:20:17 +0200, Joe via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 26.05.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
>> You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.
>> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>>
>> In order to get the version you need just edit the script before
>> running it and replace the versions at the top of the file with the
>> one you want.
>Bo,
>unfortunately, this failed with error message something could not be
>found. Seems, I did not edit the script the right way.
>What lines are to be edited and exactly how for Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1?

I have not used the scripts in a while, the last time was when I
installed on a Raspbian Pixel RPi in January-February, and at that
time the script worked for me.

One note though:
The script is for installing on a bare bones RPi Raspbian and it deals
with both the FPC seed and release versions and then Lazarus.

So if you are only interested in Lazarus 1.8RCx but have no need to
get a new FPC then this is probably not for you.
I might set up a new Pi soon for use at my vacation home over the
summer and when I do I will check the script again...

Am 28.05.2017 um 22:40 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
> I might set up a new Pi soon for use at my vacation home over the
> summer and when I do I will check the script again...
I'm sure, this will be another very useful contribution from the famous
'Developer in Sweden'. Are you using the Pi Zero W?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 26.05.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
>> You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.
>> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>>
>> In order to get the version you need just edit the script before
>> running it and replace the versions at the top of the file with the
>> one you want.
>Bo,
>unfortunately, this failed with error message something could not be
>found. Seems, I did not edit the script the right way.
>What lines are to be edited and exactly how for Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1?
>Thanx -- Joe

Hi again!
I have now returned home and been able to check the script.
I used a brand new Jessie PIXEL image and did this before starting the
script:
- Created dir /home/pi/bin where the fpc binary will reside
- Logged off and back on again to put this dir into the PATH

Turns out that the fpc sourceinstall command on line #150 fails
because there is no current path to the seed compiler ppcarm....
So I have added option FPC=<path to ppcarm> on that line and with that
done the script runs OK to the end and Lazarus is available on the
main Jessie menu below "Programming".

The corrected script is found here:
http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh

Regarding configuration, these lines need to be handled by editing the
versions mainly (lines #32 and #43-46):

LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.6.2.desktop
FPCTAG=release_3_0_0
FPCVER=3.0.0
LAZTAG=lazarus_1_6_2
LAZVER=1.6.2

In your case change them to this:

LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.8.RC1.desktop
FPCTAG=release_3_0_2
FPCVER=3.0.2
LAZTAG=lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
LAZVER=1.8.RC1

HTH

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

On Mon, 29 May 2017 11:50:36 +0200, Joe via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm sure, this will be another very useful contribution from the famous
>'Developer in Sweden'. Are you using the Pi Zero W?

No, I am buying the RPi3 now but have a number of earlier generation
Pi running their tasks also. I want the most performance I can get out
of them.

Am 30.05.2017 um 00:36 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:

> On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:20:17 +0200, Joe via Lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 26.05.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
>>> You could try my script for installation of FPC + Lazarus on an RPi3.
>>> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>>>
>>> In order to get the version you need just edit the script before
>>> running it and replace the versions at the top of the file with the
>>> one you want.
>> Bo,
>> unfortunately, this failed with error message something could not be
>> found. Seems, I did not edit the script the right way.
>> What lines are to be edited and exactly how for Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1?
>> Thanx -- Joe
> Hi again!
> I have now returned home and been able to check the script.
> I used a brand new Jessie PIXEL image and did this before starting the
> script:
> - Created dir /home/pi/bin where the fpc binary will reside
> - Logged off and back on again to put this dir into the PATH
>
> Turns out that the fpc sourceinstall command on line #150 fails
> because there is no current path to the seed compiler ppcarm....
> So I have added option FPC=<path to ppcarm> on that line and with that
> done the script runs OK to the end and Lazarus is available on the
> main Jessie menu below "Programming".
>
> The corrected script is found here:
> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>
> Regarding configuration, these lines need to be handled by editing the
> versions mainly (lines #32 and #43-46):
>
> LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.6.2.desktop
> FPCTAG=release_3_0_0
> FPCVER=3.0.0
> LAZTAG=lazarus_1_6_2
> LAZVER=1.6.2
>
> In your case change them to this:
>
> LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.8.RC1.desktop
> FPCTAG=release_3_0_2
> FPCVER=3.0.2
> LAZTAG=lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
> LAZVER=1.8.RC1
>
> HTH

.
.
Bo, helps a lot. Very kind. Have a nice day.
Cordialmente --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Raspbian Jessie

Am 30.05.2017 um 00:36 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
> The corrected script is found here:
> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
.
.
On a Raspberry Pi Zero W, the script failes with this error:

(9009) Assembling buildprojectdlg
buildprojectdlg.pas(603) Error: (9008) Can't call the assembler, error
-1 switching to external assembling
buildprojectdlg.pas603) Fatal: (10026) There were 2 errors compiling
module, stopping

I had selected the option 'for all Pis'.
Could it be a swap file size problem? On the Pi Zero W, the default size
is 100 MB.

On 31/05/17 12:00, Joe via Lazarus wrote:

> Am 30.05.2017 um 00:36 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:> The corrected
> script is found here:>
> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh..On a Raspberry Pi
> Zero W, the script failes with this error:
> (9009) Assembling buildprojectdlgbuildprojectdlg.pas(603) Error: (9008)
> Can't call the assembler, error -1 switching to external
> assemblingbuildprojectdlg.pas603) Fatal: (10026) There were 2 errors
> compiling module, stopping
> I had selected the option 'for all Pis'.Could it be a swap file size
> problem? On the Pi Zero W, the default size is 100 MB.

Yes, assume you need at least 512Mb. Put a temporary swap partition onto
an external USB stick or whatever.

Am 31.05.2017 um 14:04 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus:
I had selected the option 'for all Pis'.Could it be a swap file size
problem? On the Pi Zero W, the default size is 100 MB.

Yes, assume you need at least 512Mb. Put a temporary swap partition onto an external USB stick or whatever.

--
.
.
I'll give it 1024 MBytes and a try.
Thanx -- Joe

Am 30.05.2017 um 10:48 schrieb Joe via Lazarus:

> Am 30.05.2017 um 00:36 schrieb Bo Berglund via Lazarus:
>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:20:17 +0200, Joe via Lazarus
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Bo,
>>> unfortunately, this failed with error message something could not be
>>> found. Seems, I did not edit the script the right way.
>>> What lines are to be edited and exactly how for Lazarus 1.8.0 RC1?
>>> Thanx -- Joe
>> Hi again!
>> I have now returned home and been able to check the script.
>> I used a brand new Jessie PIXEL image and did this before starting the
>> script:
>> - Created dir /home/pi/bin where the fpc binary will reside
>> - Logged off and back on again to put this dir into the PATH
>>
>> Turns out that the fpc sourceinstall command on line #150 fails
>> because there is no current path to the seed compiler ppcarm....
>> So I have added option FPC=<path to ppcarm> on that line and with that
>> done the script runs OK to the end and Lazarus is available on the
>> main Jessie menu below "Programming".
>>
>> The corrected script is found here:
>> http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi.sh
>>
>> Regarding configuration, these lines need to be handled by editing the
>> versions mainly (lines #32 and #43-46):
>>
>> LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.6.2.desktop
>> FPCTAG=release_3_0_0
>> FPCVER=3.0.0
>> LAZTAG=lazarus_1_6_2
>> LAZVER=1.6.2
>>
>> In your case change them to this:
>>
>> LAZDESK=/home/pi/.local/share/applications/lazarus_1.8.RC1.desktop
>> FPCTAG=release_3_0_2
>> FPCVER=3.0.2
>> LAZTAG=lazarus_1_8_0_RC1
>> LAZVER=1.8.RC1
>>
>> HTH
>>

> .
> .
> Bo, helps a lot. Very kind. Have a nice day.
> Cordialmente --  Joe
.
.
I stored this script  as install_lazfpc_local_pi-0.sh and the modified
version for Lazarus 1.8.RC1 as install_lazfpc_local_pi-1.sh.
See http:/transfer.joepgen.com/diffresult.txt
Then, on a Pi Zero W, I prepared a brand new Jessie PIXEL image on a 32
GB card and
- Set Locale Settings to Germany and WiFi settings
- Created dir /home/pi/bin
- Logged off and back on again to put this dir into the PATH
- Enlarged the swap file size from 100 MB to 1024 MB, stopped and
restarted swapfile
- started the script
- the question 'Which model of RPi do you want to build for'  I answered
with 'ARMv6'

62 minutes later the compilation was aborted due to access violations.
See http://transfer.joepgen.com/ErrorMessages
SWeems

..  Joe