[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I don't kow if it is designed to be like this or else if there is a
specific condition in my setup....

FPC 3.0.4 checked out from svn and built, Lazarus 1.8.5 (fixes_1_8
branch checked out via svn and built using make bigide), Ubuntu 18.04
LTS x64 with Xfce desktop in VMWare Workstation 12PRO virtual machine.

When I start Lazarus the main window (on top) covers only about 75 %
of the screen width. If I click the maximize button nothing happens.
Only way I have found to make Lazarus cover the whole screen width is
to use the mouse and grab and pull the right hand edge to the screen
edge.

In Windows I have a Lazarus 1.8 x64 installed from a binary release.
In Windows7 when I click the maximize button the top window widens to
cover the whole screen width and the button changes to the restore
shape (two squares behind each other).

When I click this the main window goes back to the previous size as
expected.

Is this behaviour only available on Windows or do I have some kind of
problem in my Linux installation?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 11:19 PM Bo Berglund via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this behaviour only available on Windows or do I have some kind of
> problem in my Linux installation?

I have Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit in VirtualBox VM with KDE as WM  (Win10 as host).
When I click the maximize button of the main IDE window the window
centers itself vertically on my desktop.
It's unusable.
Like you I manually drag the main IDE window to bee the full screen size.

--
Bart

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I have used laz 1.8.5 in last months and never see this issue. I have it installed in 3 PC, now running Linux mint 19 (previous are Linux mint 17.3).

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this behaviour only available on Windows or do I have some kind of
> problem in my Linux installation?

I have Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit in VirtualBox VM with KDE as WM  (Win10 as host).
When I click the maximize button of the main IDE window the window
centers itself vertically on my desktop.
It's unusable.
Like you I manually drag the main IDE window to bee the full screen size.

--
Bart

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 22:49:44 -0200, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have used laz 1.8.5 in last months and never see this issue. I have it
>installed in 3 PC, now running Linux mint 19 (previous are Linux mint 17.3).

Could it be a Linux distribution issue or the choice of desktop?
I can log into te regular Ubuntu desktop too, but will Lazarus then be
workable? After all it was installed from the Xfce desktop so I could
get a menu to put Lazarus on...
I have no idea how Ubuntu 18 works concerning starting applications
like Lazarus since they removed the application menu. Seems mostly
unusable to me, hence my switch to Xfce.
Maybe Mint is a better choice?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus 1.8.5 IDE behaviour difference Win-Linux

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 23:25:19 +0100, Bart via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 11:19 PM Bo Berglund via Lazarus
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is this behaviour only available on Windows or do I have some kind of
>> problem in my Linux installation?
>
>I have Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit in VirtualBox VM with KDE as WM  (Win10 as host).
>When I click the maximize button of the main IDE window the window
>centers itself vertically on my desktop.
>It's unusable.
>Like you I manually drag the main IDE window to bee the full screen size.

I logged out of Xfce and logged back in to the Ubuntu standard desktop
to check behaviour...
Turns out that clicking the maximize button in Lazarus makes the main
window cover the whole screen!
I.e. it expands both sideways and down to cover *everything* with a
gray panel! Seriously flawed in my mind! And completely unusable...

And this is using the fixes_1_8 branch, which should hold the very
latest stable fixes for 1.8.
Lazarus help/about says:

Version #: 1.8.5
Date: 2018-11-04
FPC version: 3.0.4
SVN Revision: 59447 (is this Lazarus or FPC?)
x86_64-linux-gtk2

I am now going to get myself a Linux Mint 19 vm instead of Ubuntu...

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have used laz 1.8.5 in last months and never see this issue. I have it
>installed in 3 PC, now running Linux mint 19 (previous are Linux mint 17.3).

I have just created a new Linux Mint 19 MATE virtual machine and
installed FPC/Lazarus from sources in this.

But like Bart I get the same problem when maximizing the main (top)
window in Lazarus. It makes it fill the full screen rather than
aligning with the top of the screen.

So there is something else going on here. What desktop are you using?
Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce?
And did you arrive here by doing a dist-upgrade rather than a new
install?