[Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

Gabor Boros
Hi All,

Earlier I think will use LazReport for my new project. Implemented Child
feature for my needs but now see many other lack of features, problems,
reported bugs.

Features for example...
- Page, Band not have Frames and FillColor properties
- FillColor not have (Brush.Style) property
- Stretched not working with Line
- Frames not have Color, Style, Width properties/side
- Keep together feature for Band (e.g. Parent and Child(s))
- In Designer Text object not resized when Font changed
- On Preview can scroll below the page
- On Preview Find highlight the whole text of view and only the first
occurence
- Barcode not have Font property

Reported bugs for example...

How easy or hard or impossible to implement the above features into
LazReport? In the main source not in a fork. Seeing the above features
from LazReport POV better for me if create a report engine from scratch
which fit my needs? Opinions?

Gabor

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015, Gabor Boros wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Earlier I think will use LazReport for my new project. Implemented Child
> feature for my needs but now see many other lack of features, problems,
> reported bugs.
>
> Features for example...
> - Page, Band not have Frames and FillColor properties
> - FillColor not have (Brush.Style) property
> - Stretched not working with Line
> - Frames not have Color, Style, Width properties/side
> - Keep together feature for Band (e.g. Parent and Child(s))
> - In Designer Text object not resized when Font changed
> - On Preview can scroll below the page
> - On Preview Find highlight the whole text of view and only the first
> occurence
> - Barcode not have Font property
>
> Reported bugs for example...
>
> How easy or hard or impossible to implement the above features into
> LazReport? In the main source not in a fork. Seeing the above features from
> LazReport POV better for me if create a report engine from scratch which fit
> my needs? Opinions?

Just an opinion:
I am working with Graeme Geldenhuys to create a reporting engine from scratch.
I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can only be
remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

silvioprog
On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.

This is a very good new! I smell TFPReport in the air... =)

--
Silvio Clécio

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015, silvioprog wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>       I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.
>

> This is a very good new! I smell TFPReport in the air... =)

Right on :-)

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

Vincenzo Campanella
Il 09.07.2015 21:45, Michael Van Canneyt ha scritto:

> Just an opinion:
> I am working with Graeme Geldenhuys to create a reporting engine from
> scratch.
> I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can
> only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.

That's great :)

I hope that direct exports to PDF and LibreOffice (.odt and .ods) or
eventually M$ Office (.docx and .xlsx) will be available on all
platforms... :)

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Vincenzo Campanella wrote:

> Il 09.07.2015 21:45, Michael Van Canneyt ha scritto:
>>
>> Just an opinion:
>> I am working with Graeme Geldenhuys to create a reporting engine from
>> scratch.
>> I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can
>> only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.
>>

> That's great :)
>
> I hope that direct exports to PDF and LibreOffice (.odt and .ods) or
> eventually M$ Office (.docx and .xlsx) will be available on all
> platforms... :)

The primary save format will be JSON, which can be converted to anything you want.
We're not making any assumptions about the final output.
The structure will be such that adding exports should not be a problem.
We have at least PDF planned, for use in Web applications.

In fact, FPC's TTF/PDF support is being worked on as I write this.

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

Koenraad Lelong-2
Op 10-07-15 om 09:36 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> The primary save format will be JSON, which can be converted to anything
> you want.

I don't know much about JSON, but I'm about to start an application that
writes to a label-printer (= small paper-sizes). Would it be possible to
generate output for that, without manual intermediate steps ?

Koenraad.

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

Tony Whyman
Well - good luck - Lazreport took a long time to get stable and
certainly contains many idiosyncrasies that could benefit from a
redesign. But please ensure that there is a clear migration path to any
new reporting engine.

Tony Whyman
MWA

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Tony Whyman wrote:

> Well - good luck - Lazreport took a long time to get stable and certainly
> contains many idiosyncrasies that could benefit from a redesign. But please
> ensure that there is a clear migration path to any new reporting engine.

Well. The reporting engine is developed using test-driven development, so
it should hopefully not take so long to be stable.
This is possible because all GUI dependencies have been removed from the core engine.

Concerning migration path: It will surely be possible to write some form of .lrf file converter,
but I will not compromise on design to make this possible.

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Op 10-07-15 om 09:36 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:
>>
>> The primary save format will be JSON, which can be converted to anything
>> you want.
>
> I don't know much about JSON, but I'm about to start an application that
> writes to a label-printer (= small paper-sizes). Would it be possible to
> generate output for that, without manual intermediate steps ?

I don't see why not.

Re: [Lazarus] LazReport - Feature questions

BobB
> The primary save format will be JSON, which can be converted to anything > you want.

How?  Is there some utility that does that?  Or do I misunderstand what you meant?

Also, will users still be able to design their own reports like they can with LazReport?

Thanks.

Bob B.

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015, Bob B. wrote:

>> The primary save format will be JSON, which can be converted to anything > you want.
> How?  Is there some utility that does that?  Or do I misunderstand what you meant?

The finished report can be saved to JSON file.
It can be rendered to a printer canvas.
But you can also make a utility that prints this file to a label-printer.

> Also, will users still be able to design their own reports like they can with LazReport?

Yes, obviously.

[Lazarus] Reporting engine - What it's state?

Hi All,

2015. 07. 09. 21:45 keltezéssel, Michael Van Canneyt írta:
> Just an opinion:
> I am working with Graeme Geldenhuys to create a reporting engine from
> scratch.
> I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can
> only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.

Two years gone. Any news? I see "In progress" on the Foundation's page,
but want to know more detailed informations.

https://foundation.freepascal.org/projects/reporting-engine

Gabor

Re: [Lazarus] Reporting engine - What it's state?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, Gabor Boros via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 2015. 07. 09. 21:45 keltezéssel, Michael Van Canneyt írta:
>> Just an opinion:
>> I am working with Graeme Geldenhuys to create a reporting engine from
>> scratch.
>> I think Lazreport's design contains some fundamental flaws, which can
>> only be remedied by re-implementing a reporting engine from scratch.
>
> Two years gone. Any news? I see "In progress" on the Foundation's page,
> but want to know more detailed informations.
>
> https://foundation.freepascal.org/projects/reporting-engine
It's ready and waiting for release. I'm waiting for 2 small fixes still:
- Some strange error when exporting a custom element to PDF
- Removing a dependency on freetype.dll on windows.

Re: [Lazarus] Reporting engine - What it's state?

I will commit the code to FPC svn the coming  week.

Michael.