[Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Dear all,

I noticed that LCL applications can be built on Mac only for 32 and not
64. Will be 64 and LCL available in the future? Any roadmap?

Thanks,
Andrea

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:19:50 +0200
Andrea Mauri via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I noticed that LCL applications can be built on Mac only for 32 and not
> 64. Will be 64 and LCL available in the future? Any roadmap?

The Mac native 64bit API is Cocoa and it exists for the LCL.
It is missing some feature though. Maybe Felipe can tell more details.

Alternatively you can use qt, which is pretty complete, but requires
to install the qt libraries to run the application.

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

> The Mac native 64bit API is Cocoa and it exists for the LCL.
> It is missing some feature though. Maybe Felipe can tell more details.
>
> Alternatively you can use qt, which is pretty complete, but requires
> to install the qt libraries to run the application.

What about the sentence:

Mac OS X:
   10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit.

I misunderstood something?

Andrea

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:07:06 +0200
Andrea Mauri via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > The Mac native 64bit API is Cocoa and it exists for the LCL.
> > It is missing some feature though. Maybe Felipe can tell more details.
> >
> > Alternatively you can use qt, which is pretty complete, but requires
> > to install the qt libraries to run the application.
>
> What about the sentence:
>
> Mac OS X:
>    10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit.
>
> I misunderstood something?

When the IDE runs on Cocoa we will change it. Was that your question?

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

> When the IDE runs on Cocoa we will change it. Was that your question?

I would like to know if it is possible to build LCL 64 bit application
on MacOSX with lazarus (eventually which version?). If not, if there is
temptative scheduling for that.

Andrea

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

On 15.06.2017 17:19, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:07:06 +0200
> Andrea Mauri via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> The Mac native 64bit API is Cocoa and it exists for the LCL.
>>> It is missing some feature though. Maybe Felipe can tell more details.
>>>
>>> Alternatively you can use qt, which is pretty complete, but requires
>>> to install the qt libraries to run the application.
>> What about the sentence:
>>
>> Mac OS X:
>>     10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit.
>>
>> I misunderstood something?
> When the IDE runs on Cocoa we will change it. Was that your question?

What about OSX 64bit with Qt5? I don't want to pinpoint unnecessarily, I
am really interested - being in the same situation as Andrea.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

On 06/15/2017 05:53 PM, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:

> On 15.06.2017 17:19, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

>>> What about the sentence:
>>>
>>> Mac OS X:
>>>     10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit.
>>>
>>> I misunderstood something?
>> When the IDE runs on Cocoa we will change it. Was that your question?
>
> What about OSX 64bit with Qt5? I don't want to pinpoint unnecessarily, I
> am really interested - being in the same situation as Andrea.

Both qt4 and qt5 works as 64bit w/o problems. I'm using it for  our mac
apps (complete lazarus build is qtlcl 64bit).

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

On 15.06.2017 18:08, zeljko wrote:
> Both qt4 and qt5 works as 64bit w/o problems. I'm using it for  our
> mac apps (complete lazarus build is qtlcl 64bit).

This is great (and what I expected). We definitely should change the
"10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit." information
because it is misleading - especially for noninsiders.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Il 15/06/2017 18:19, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha scritto:
> On 15.06.2017 18:08, zeljko wrote:
>> Both qt4 and qt5 works as 64bit w/o problems. I'm using it for  our
>> mac apps (complete lazarus build is qtlcl 64bit).

Thanks!

> This is great (and what I expected). We definitely should change the
> "10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit." information
> because it is misleading - especially for noninsiders.

+1

> Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:36:02 +0200
> From: Andrea Mauri <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit
>
>> When the IDE runs on Cocoa we will change it. Was that your question?
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to build LCL 64 bit application
> on MacOSX with lazarus (eventually which version?). If not, if there is
> temptative scheduling for that.
>
> Andrea

A simple question with a complex answer, because it depends on what features of the LCL your program is using. For a comparison, look here:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Roadmap

The carbon-based LCL has probably the most features, but is 32-bit only. The cocoa-based LCL is 64-bit, but has much less features. This is the reason, why there is no cocoa based Lazarus. The Qt-based LCL is also 64-bit and has more features, but may not be considered 100% native, but i will come to that point later. Finally, with quite some effort you can use the 64-bit GTK2-based LCL, although that look is definitely not native. In any case, try the latest release version of Lazarus, 1.6.4 at the moment.

Keep in mind that the 32-bit carbon-based Lazarus is capable to build and use any of the other LCLs. Using it only determines the default LCL. The effort to use one of the others has a wide range. Cocoa should be easy, Qt requires qt4pas and the Qt libraries, and for GTK2 you should take a package manager like Fink (my preference), MacPorts or Homebrew.

I also want to note, that Lazarus does mainly take care of the look of the graphical elements. There is a marked difference between native look and native behavior. Lazarus does NOT take care of everything. Whether this is critical or not, depends on the expectations of your customers. Look here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Multiplatform_Programming_Guide

In general, Mac users appear to be more arrogant than users of other platforms, because they have a narrower expectation for native behavior. Some even show signs of allergy towards that particular smell of Windows 😉

Regarding the choice a specific Mac, any Mac should do it, since compiling with FreePascal is fast, unless your program is really very large.

I hope this helps and doesn't stop you from trying.

If your program is open source I could probably give it a try.

Re: [Lazarus] LCL on Mac 64 bit

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

> I hope this helps and doesn't stop you from trying.
>
> If your program is open source I could probably give it a try.
>
> Michael.

Thanks Michael.
Unfortunately my application is a commercial application with closed
source, anyway I will try for sure!

Andrea