[Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
To save some trial and error, can anybody tell me which was the last
version of Lazarus (for Linux, if that makes a difference) that
doesn't exhibit the problem of an 'm' producing a line feed and an 'i'
producing a tab then an 'i'?

Thanks.

--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/5/20 6:00 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
> To save some trial and error, can anybody tell me which was the last
> version of Lazarus (for Linux, if that makes a difference) that
> doesn't exhibit the problem of an 'm' producing a line feed and an 'i'
> producing a tab then an 'i'?


check your key map settings in lazarus configuration... it sounds like a macro
or you have configured 'm' to line feed and 'i' to tab-'i'...


--
  NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
        *Please keep mailing list traffic on the list where it belongs!*
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/5/20 7:57 PM, wkitty42--- via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/5/20 6:00 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>> To save some trial and error, can anybody tell me which was the last
>> version of Lazarus (for Linux, if that makes a difference) that
>> doesn't exhibit the problem of an 'm' producing a line feed and an 'i'
>> producing a tab then an 'i'?
>
>
> check your key map settings in lazarus configuration... it sounds like
> a macro or you have configured 'm' to line feed and 'i' to tab-'i'...
>
>

I will look (again), but this is happening reproducibly on a totally
clean build of trunk (via fpcupdeluxe), I have tried rebuilding
Lazarus with clean all and *just once* I got things to work again
using qt5. I've never managed to get things to work again since. I
have changed no key map settings, I have configured no macros. This is
using 64-bit Linux Mint 19.3, should anybody feel that makes a
difference, and BTW, I have also tried switching keyboards, with
absolutely no effect. I had about 6-9 months away from using Lazarus,
during that time I changed from using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Mint 19.3. I
didn't see the problem on my old setup, it has occurred every time
except that ONE occasion on the current setup. The same PC, just the
operating system changed.

Brian.



--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/5/20 8:16 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/5/20 7:57 PM, wkitty42--- via lazarus wrote:
>> On 5/5/20 6:00 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>>> To save some trial and error, can anybody tell me which was the last
>>> version of Lazarus (for Linux, if that makes a difference) that
>>> doesn't exhibit the problem of an 'm' producing a line feed and an 'i'
>>> producing a tab then an 'i'?
>>
>>
>> check your key map settings in lazarus configuration... it sounds like
>> a macro or you have configured 'm' to line feed and 'i' to tab-'i'...
>>
>>
>
> I will look (again), but this is happening reproducibly on a totally
> clean build of trunk (via fpcupdeluxe), I have tried rebuilding
> Lazarus with clean all and *just once* I got things to work again
> using qt5. I've never managed to get things to work again since. I
> have changed no key map settings, I have configured no macros. This is
> using 64-bit Linux Mint 19.3, should anybody feel that makes a
> difference, and BTW, I have also tried switching keyboards, with
> absolutely no effect. I had about 6-9 months away from using Lazarus,
> during that time I changed from using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Mint 19.3. I
> didn't see the problem on my old setup, it has occurred every time
> except that ONE occasion on the current setup. The same PC, just the
> operating system changed.
>

I forgot to add - I totally erased fpcup's entire tree and rebuilt
from scratch. No change.

Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/5/20 8:19 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/5/20 8:16 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>> On 5/5/20 7:57 PM, wkitty42--- via lazarus wrote:
>>> On 5/5/20 6:00 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>>>> To save some trial and error, can anybody tell me which was the last
>>>> version of Lazarus (for Linux, if that makes a difference) that
>>>> doesn't exhibit the problem of an 'm' producing a line feed and an 'i'
>>>> producing a tab then an 'i'?
>>>
>>>
>>> check your key map settings in lazarus configuration... it sounds like
>>> a macro or you have configured 'm' to line feed and 'i' to tab-'i'...
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I will look (again), but this is happening reproducibly on a totally
>> clean build of trunk (via fpcupdeluxe), I have tried rebuilding
>> Lazarus with clean all and *just once* I got things to work again
>> using qt5. I've never managed to get things to work again since. I
>> have changed no key map settings, I have configured no macros. This is
>> using 64-bit Linux Mint 19.3, should anybody feel that makes a
>> difference, and BTW, I have also tried switching keyboards, with
>> absolutely no effect. I had about 6-9 months away from using Lazarus,
>> during that time I changed from using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Mint 19.3. I
>> didn't see the problem on my old setup, it has occurred every time
>> except that ONE occasion on the current setup. The same PC, just the
>> operating system changed.
>>
>
> I forgot to add - I totally erased fpcup's entire tree and rebuilt
> from scratch. No change.
>

Just some additional information here. I have a copy of the latest
Debian-based version of Linux Mint running in a virtual machine (my
main system is the Ubuntu-based Mint) so I installed Lazarus and FPC
from the Debian repositories. This gave me FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus
2.0.0, with some additional versioning which I think indicates that
it's been built and packaged by Debian. This combination works
perfectly, no trace of the problem.

So, I guess the next thing I do is to try the various SourceForge
versions and see how far back I have to go to get rid of the problem
under Ubuntu-based Mint. I will report back when I have an answer, but
depending on how many regressions are needed, it may take me a day or
two. Watch this space...

Brian.



--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/6/20 7:48 AM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
> Just some additional information here. I have a copy of the latest
> Debian-based version of Linux Mint running in a virtual machine (my
> main system is the Ubuntu-based Mint) so I installed Lazarus and FPC
> from the Debian repositories. This gave me FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus
> 2.0.0, with some additional versioning which I think indicates that
> it's been built and packaged by Debian. This combination works
> perfectly, no trace of the problem.


this is good because it eliminates the possibility of a conf file being used
that you've not found on the problematic machine...


> So, I guess the next thing I do is to try the various SourceForge
> versions and see how far back I have to go to get rid of the problem
> under Ubuntu-based Mint. I will report back when I have an answer, but
> depending on how many regressions are needed, it may take me a day or
> two. Watch this space...


i would search, first, for the various lazarus related conf files... i'm almost
willing to bet there's one/some that you're missing... almost willing ;)


--
  NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
        *Please keep mailing list traffic on the list where it belongs!*
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Wed, 6 May 2020 07:48:37 -0400, Brian via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Just some additional information here. I have a copy of the latest
>Debian-based version of Linux Mint running in a virtual machine (my
>main system is the Ubuntu-based Mint) so I installed Lazarus and FPC
>from the Debian repositories. This gave me FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus
>2.0.0,

Just a suggestion:
Get the FPC and Lazarus sources from Subversion (using a releqase tags
for both).
I do that all the time on my machines. I have created a script for
Raspbian and another for Linux (Ubuntu/Debian).
It works well every time, for example just last week I installed on
two notebooks which had Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed with the Mate
desktop.
I have never seen this problem on either Raspbian or Mate installs.
Now on FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus 2.0.8 (64 bit both)


--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/6/20 5:36 PM, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 2020 07:48:37 -0400, Brian via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just some additional information here. I have a copy of the latest
>> Debian-based version of Linux Mint running in a virtual machine (my
>> main system is the Ubuntu-based Mint) so I installed Lazarus and FPC
>>from the Debian repositories. This gave me FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus
>> 2.0.0,
>
> Just a suggestion:
> Get the FPC and Lazarus sources from Subversion (using a releqase tags
> for both).

That is what I believe fpcupdeluxe does. I used it to install from
trunk, both fpc and lazarus. The software built correctly, and
fpcupdeluxe is stated to use its own target directories (which seems
to be the case) but I still saw the problem.

> I do that all the time on my machines. I have created a script for
> Raspbian and another for Linux (Ubuntu/Debian).
> It works well every time, for example just last week I installed on
> two notebooks which had Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed with the Mate
> desktop.
> I have never seen this problem on either Raspbian or Mate installs.
> Now on FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus 2.0.8 (64 bit both)
>

Well, I've seen it regularly on this machine, and what puzzles me is
that I have never played around with the keyboard mapping nor even
defined a macro, which has been suggested as the likely cause.

I tried downloading Lazarus 2.0.0 from SourceForge, and regressing to
that, but it still showed the problem.

However, experiment does show that I can do an install into a new
virtual machine and not see the problem, so I agree with wkitty that
it looks like a configuration problem, irrespective of the fact that I
have never used those features he mentions. What I intend to do is to
run some searches of my entire tree, looking for anything with lazar
or fp in the name. Once I've got that information, I'll work through
the lists and delete anything that looks fpc or lazarus related. Then
I'll try fpcupdeluxe with another copy of trunk, and see whether it
fixes the problem. It will take some time.

Brian.

--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/6/20 6:33 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
> What I intend to do is to run some searches of my entire tree, looking for
> anything with lazar or fp in the name. Once I've got that information, I'll
> work through the lists and delete anything that looks fpc or lazarus related.
> Then I'll try fpcupdeluxe with another copy of trunk, and see whether it
> fixes the problem. It will take some time.

if you are on linux, something like this would be fairly quick and easy to use...


sudo find / -type d \( -path .git -o -path .svn -o -path .cvs \) -prune -o -type
f \( -iname "*.conf" -o -iname "*.cfg" -o -iname "*.cnf" \)


it should find every *.conf, *.cfg, and *.cnf file on the system while skipping
all .git, .svn, and .cvs directories... you really don't need to dig through all
of those, in most cases, ya know? ;)

once you have the list of matching files, then you can work through it looking
for lazarus and fpc related configuration files... remember that not all of them
will start with laz or fp...

while testing the above on my system which i've recently removed lazaruz and fpc
from for needed drive space, i found a leftover fppkg.cfg in my ~/.config
directory... knowing that directory was used for some things then lead me to
look at it closer... i found a lazarus directory in there with a reg.xml
apparently from the jedi tool(s) along with a lhelp directory with a conf for
the lazaruz lhelp tool...

i also found a few left over fpc.cfg files in several project directories but
those i kept because they contained only information on the project and nothing
specific to lazarus or fpc...

hopefully the above find command will be helpful to you... i keep a copy of it
in one of my hint files so i don't lose it from my command history ;)


--
  NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
        *Please keep mailing list traffic on the list where it belongs!*
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/7/20 8:08 AM, wkitty42--- via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/6/20 6:33 PM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>> What I intend to do is to run some searches of my entire tree,
>> looking for
>> anything with lazar or fp in the name. Once I've got that
>> information, I'll
>> work through the lists and delete anything that looks fpc or lazarus
>> related.
>> Then I'll try fpcupdeluxe with another copy of trunk, and see
>> whether it fixes the problem. It will take some time.
>
> if you are on linux, something like this would be fairly quick and
> easy to use...
>
>
> sudo find / -type d \( -path .git -o -path .svn -o -path .cvs \)
> -prune -o -type f \( -iname "*.conf" -o -iname "*.cfg" -o -iname
> "*.cnf" \)
>
>
> it should find every *.conf, *.cfg, and *.cnf file on the system while
> skipping all .git, .svn, and .cvs directories... you really don't need
> to dig through all of those, in most cases, ya know? ;)
>
> once you have the list of matching files, then you can work through it
> looking for lazarus and fpc related configuration files... remember
> that not all of them will start with laz or fp...
>
> while testing the above on my system which i've recently removed
> lazaruz and fpc from for needed drive space, i found a leftover
> fppkg.cfg in my ~/.config directory... knowing that directory was used
> for some things then lead me to look at it closer... i found a lazarus
> directory in there with a reg.xml apparently from the jedi tool(s)
> along with a lhelp directory with a conf for the lazaruz lhelp tool...
>
> i also found a few left over fpc.cfg files in several project
> directories but those i kept because they contained only information
> on the project and nothing specific to lazarus or fpc...
>
> hopefully the above find command will be helpful to you... i keep a
> copy of it in one of my hint files so i don't lose it from my command
> history ;)
>

I tried both methods of generating a list of configuration files, and
I worked down both lists looking for anything which seemed fpc/lazarus
related, and deleted everything I could find. I then deleted back
fpcupdeluxe's target directory, and went through my home directory
looking for hidden directories. In short, I deleted every damned thing
I could find!

I then reinstalled, via fpcupdeluxe, copies of trunk for both fpc and
lazarus. According to fpcupdeluxe, everything compiled and built
correctly.

I ran lazarus via the link provided by fpcupdeluxe, and tried typing
some text. NO change whatsoever. :( A lower case 'i' still produced
tab and 'i', and a lower case 'm' produced a line feed.

At this point, I think I give up. I don't want to switch my main
system to LMDE, so I will just run lazarus under LMDE in a virtual
machine, where the 'i' and 'm' keys work exactly as expected, and use
a shared folder, pointing a logical link to my source tree.

I reiterate that I have NEVER (knowingly, I suppose) remapped a
keyboard nor used a macro while using lazarus.

Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 06/05/2020 1:19 am, Brian via lazarus wrote:
> I forgot to add - I totally erased fpcup's entire tree and rebuilt
> from scratch. No change.

It's not about recompiling Lazarus. Probably more related to your
customised settings in your $HOME/.lazarus/ directory.

Start your lazarus from the command line with the paramater:

  ./lazarus --pcp=/tmp/lazarus

where "/tmp/lazarus" is a totally empty directory.  That should give you
Lazarus with 100% default config values. If the problem goes way, then
it's a key mapping issue in your ~/.lazarus/ directory.

Regards,
  Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/14/20 7:59 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus wrote:

> On 06/05/2020 1:19 am, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>> I forgot to add - I totally erased fpcup's entire tree and rebuilt
>> from scratch. No change.
>
> It's not about recompiling Lazarus. Probably more related to your
> customised settings in your $HOME/.lazarus/ directory.
>
> Start your lazarus from the command line with the paramater:
>
>   ./lazarus --pcp=/tmp/lazarus
>
> where "/tmp/lazarus" is a totally empty directory.  That should give you
> Lazarus with 100% default config values. If the problem goes way, then
> it's a key mapping issue in your ~/.lazarus/ directory.
>

I tried that. Now *every* keypress is duplicated. Thanks for the
attempt, though!

I now have a working setup by way of using lazarus in a Linux Mint
Debian virtual machine and using a shared folder with a link to my
source tree. Since I don't want to switch to LMDE totally, it's an
acceptable workround. I write the code via the VM and then compile and
debug under standard Linux Mint.

I had previously tried deleting both the ~/.lazarus and also a
~/.lazarus64 directory, with no effect on the problem.

Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 2:49 PM Brian via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried that. Now *every* keypress is duplicated.

It was allegedly fixed in trunk r63089 less than 3 weeks ago.
See:
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30863
If nobody gets the duplicate key problem with trunk any more, that
issue and all its related issues can finally be resolved.
Please test everybody.

Juha
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/16/20 3:03 PM, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 2:49 PM Brian via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I tried that. Now *every* keypress is duplicated.
>
> It was allegedly fixed in trunk r63089 less than 3 weeks ago.
> See:
>  https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30863
> If nobody gets the duplicate key problem with trunk any more, that
> issue and all its related issues can finally be resolved.
> Please test everybody.
>

I just updated both trunks (via fpcupdeluxe) and rebuilt, and now the
i => tab-i  and m => line feed problems have disappeared. :) :)

Starting Lazarus per Graeme's instructions (i.e. with a blank config)
no longer produces duplicate keypresses either.

Whoever fixed that, well done and thank you VERY much! :)

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/17/20 10:00 AM, Brian via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/16/20 3:03 PM, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>> It was allegedly fixed in trunk r63089 less than 3 weeks ago.
>> See:
>>   https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30863
>> If nobody gets the duplicate key problem with trunk any more, that
>> issue and all its related issues can finally be resolved.
>> Please test everybody.
>>
>
> Whoever fixed that, well done and thank you VERY much! :)


the link in the above linked bug report tells you that ;)


--
  NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
        *Please keep mailing list traffic on the list where it belongs!*
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/17/20 11:44 AM, wkitty42--- via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/17/20 10:00 AM, Brian via lazarus wrote:
>> On 5/16/20 3:03 PM, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>>> It was allegedly fixed in trunk r63089 less than 3 weeks ago.
>>> See:
>>>   https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30863
>>> If nobody gets the duplicate key problem with trunk any more, that
>>> issue and all its related issues can finally be resolved.
>>> Please test everybody.
>>>
>>
>> Whoever fixed that, well done and thank you VERY much! :)
>
>
> the link in the above linked bug report tells you that ;)
>

And the fact that I didn't look up the bug report so that I could name
the person in some way invalidates the generalised thank you that I
posted?

Brian.

--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/17/20 10:00 AM, I wrote:

> On 5/16/20 3:03 PM, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 2:49 PM Brian via lazarus
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I tried that. Now *every* keypress is duplicated.
>>
>> It was allegedly fixed in trunk r63089 less than 3 weeks ago.
>> See:
>>  https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30863
>> If nobody gets the duplicate key problem with trunk any more, that
>> issue and all its related issues can finally be resolved.
>> Please test everybody.
>>
>
> I just updated both trunks (via fpcupdeluxe) and rebuilt, and now the
> i => tab-i  and m => line feed problems have disappeared. :) :)
>
> Starting Lazarus per Graeme's instructions (i.e. with a blank config)
> no longer produces duplicate keypresses either.
>
> Whoever fixed that, well done and thank you VERY much! :)
>

Regrettably, it appears I spoke too soon. I fired up Lazarus again and
the problem is back. I'm compiling trunk for both fpc and lazarus
using fpcupdeluxe. To recap, this is under Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit
(Ubuntu base). I have absolutely *NOT* done any keyboard remapping nor
defined any macros since everything last worked correctly. The setup I
have in a LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) virtual machine still works correctly.

I will update both setups, so that I know I am (should be!) running
exactly the same versions of trunk, and report back in due course.

Brian.


--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Am 20.05.20 um 01:12 schrieb Brian via lazarus:

>
> Regrettably, it appears I spoke too soon. I fired up Lazarus again and
> the problem is back. I'm compiling trunk for both fpc and lazarus
> using fpcupdeluxe. To recap, this is under Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit
> (Ubuntu base). I have absolutely *NOT* done any keyboard remapping nor
> defined any macros since everything last worked correctly. The setup I
> have in a LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) virtual machine still works correctly.
>
> I will update both setups, so that I know I am (should be!) running
> exactly the same versions of trunk, and report back in due course.
>
> Brian.
>
>
Perhaps try another version of fpcupdeluxe?

https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases

--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/20/20 5:50 AM, John Landmesser via lazarus wrote:

> Am 20.05.20 um 01:12 schrieb Brian via lazarus:
>>
>> Regrettably, it appears I spoke too soon. I fired up Lazarus again and
>> the problem is back. I'm compiling trunk for both fpc and lazarus
>> using fpcupdeluxe. To recap, this is under Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit
>> (Ubuntu base). I have absolutely *NOT* done any keyboard remapping nor
>> defined any macros since everything last worked correctly. The setup I
>> have in a LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) virtual machine still works
>> correctly.
>>
>> I will update both setups, so that I know I am (should be!) running
>> exactly the same versions of trunk, and report back in due course.
>>
>> Brian.
>>
>>
> Perhaps try another version of fpcupdeluxe?
>
> https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases
>

I downloaded the latest as then was for linux on x86_64. I see there
has been another release since I wrote my post. I'll give it a try. I
guess I could also try the qt5 version.

Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard mapping probelm

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 5/20/20 8:37 AM, Brian via lazarus wrote:

> On 5/20/20 5:50 AM, John Landmesser via lazarus wrote:
>> Am 20.05.20 um 01:12 schrieb Brian via lazarus:
>>>
>>> Regrettably, it appears I spoke too soon. I fired up Lazarus again and
>>> the problem is back. I'm compiling trunk for both fpc and lazarus
>>> using fpcupdeluxe. To recap, this is under Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit
>>> (Ubuntu base). I have absolutely *NOT* done any keyboard remapping nor
>>> defined any macros since everything last worked correctly. The setup I
>>> have in a LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) virtual machine still works
>>> correctly.
>>>
>>> I will update both setups, so that I know I am (should be!) running
>>> exactly the same versions of trunk, and report back in due course.
>>>
>>> Brian.
>>>
>>>
>> Perhaps try another version of fpcupdeluxe?
>>
>> https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases
>>
>
> I downloaded the latest as then was for linux on x86_64. I see there
> has been another release since I wrote my post. I'll give it a try. I
> guess I could also try the qt5 version.
>

OK, my last word on this subject. I can only conclude that there is
some kind of goofy multi-way interaction going on between Lazarus and
other programs. I have tried multiple versions of Lazarus, using both
the gtk2 and qt5 versions of fpcupdeluxe. In all cases, I saw the i ->
tab & i and m -> newline. I do NOT see this on the Debian-based
version of Mint running in a virtual machine, and I also set up
another VM with the same Ubuntu-based version of Mint (19.3 64-bit) as
I have on the host. Neither VM showed the problem with Lazarus!

The final straw is that I just set up a new PC for my wife, again
Ubuntu Mint 19.3, and out of curiosity, I installed Lazarus. The keys
worked fine.

I have no idea what is going on. I reiterate that I have removed all
config files, using the combination of wkitty42's commandline magic
*and* my kfinds, and that I have done absolutely no key remapping nor
macro defining. Twice, and ONLY twice, I have had the problem go away
after a rebuild of FPC and Lazarus, but rebooting the PC brought the
problem back again.

I've given up. I have wasted enough time on trying to sort this
problem. At least as long as it all works, I will just use Lazarus in
a VM, and transfer the completed source files to my host machine for a
final compilation.


Brian.


--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
12