[Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Help, please, folks!

I am just returning to using Lazarus for the first time in probably 6
months or so, certainly for the first time since I switched operating
systems. I am now using Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit with an XFCE desktop. I
used fpcupdeluxe and installed the fixes version of both fpc and
lazarus via the button at the bottom of the screen. Everything seemed
to go OK, I could see no error messages in the downloads and build,
and I am now left with (it says) a copy of lazarus v 2.0.7 r 62901 and
fpc 3.2.0.

The problem is when I try to key in my code (and I'm creating a new
program, not an application). Most of the keys work OK, at least that
I have found so far, but an 'i' produces a TAB and then an i, and an
'm' just gives me a new line. The upper case versions of these
characters work as expected, so my temporary workround is obviously to
use those and the formatter, but to say it's a nuisance is an
understatement! I'm using a standard American keyboard layout, and I
have not seen this behaviour in any other application, for sure not in
the copy of thunderbird which I'm using to write this message! I've
also tried a few other applications, and it's only (so far) the
lazarus ide that's afflicted.

Anybody have any ideas, please?


Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Are you using it through a Remote desktop or VM or such?

Check the Ctrl key is not pressed. i is the 9th letter and TAB is the
9th ASCII character. Similarly m is the 13th letter and NewLine is the
13th ACII character - which makesĀ  it seem to me somewhere the keyboard
is getting confused.

Does this work correctly when you edit a text file?

If so, check the Lazarus Tools-->Options for keyboard input (keys can be
assigned specifically there, maybe you have a weird set assigned),
although I do not know of a standard setting that would cause this. I
have however seen stuff like that happen when I had the Ctrl and/or Alt
key stuck down or used it via remote desks.

Good luck!
Ryan


On 2020/04/10 14:40, Brian via lazarus wrote:

> Help, please, folks!
>
> I am just returning to using Lazarus for the first time in probably 6
> months or so, certainly for the first time since I switched operating
> systems. I am now using Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit with an XFCE desktop. I
> used fpcupdeluxe and installed the fixes version of both fpc and
> lazarus via the button at the bottom of the screen. Everything seemed
> to go OK, I could see no error messages in the downloads and build,
> and I am now left with (it says) a copy of lazarus v 2.0.7 r 62901 and
> fpc 3.2.0.
>
> The problem is when I try to key in my code (and I'm creating a new
> program, not an application). Most of the keys work OK, at least that
> I have found so far, but an 'i' produces a TAB and then an i, and an
> 'm' just gives me a new line. The upper case versions of these
> characters work as expected, so my temporary workround is obviously to
> use those and the formatter, but to say it's a nuisance is an
> understatement! I'm using a standard American keyboard layout, and I
> have not seen this behaviour in any other application, for sure not in
> the copy of thunderbird which I'm using to write this message! I've
> also tried a few other applications, and it's only (so far) the
> lazarus ide that's afflicted.
>
> Anybody have any ideas, please?
>
>
> Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
There is a bugreport about the m->newline issue somewhere.

Bart
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 4/10/20 9:02 AM, R.Smith via lazarus wrote:
> Are you using it through a Remote desktop or VM or such?
>

No.

> Check the Ctrl key is not pressed. i is the 9th letter and TAB is the
> 9th ASCII character. Similarly m is the 13th letter and NewLine is the
> 13th ACII character - which makesĀ  it seem to me somewhere the
> keyboard is getting confused.
>

Yes, I realised the association.

> Does this work correctly when you edit a text file?
>

No. That's what makes me think they keyboard is in the clear
(unfortunately I don't have a spare). Lazarus is the *only*
application I have been able to find which shows this behaviour.

> If so, check the Lazarus Tools-->Options for keyboard input (keys can
> be assigned specifically there, maybe you have a weird set assigned),
> although I do not know of a standard setting that would cause this. I
> have however seen stuff like that happen when I had the Ctrl and/or
> Alt key stuck down or used it via remote desks.
>

Yeah, all ideas, but unfortunately, none of them applicable here. I
will look at the keyboard input options (hadn't thought of that one).

Brian.
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Keyboard interpreted incorrectly?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 4/10/20 9:28 AM, Bart via lazarus wrote:

Sorry if this eventually gets duplicated, I forgot to change my
address to the one I use for mailing lists.



> There is a bugreport about the m->newline issue somewhere.
>

Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I guess I'll continue to use JEdit
to write the code and then open the files in the IDE - this is the way
we used to do it back in days of yore, you couldn't fit the compiler
and the editor in available memory simultaneously! :)

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc
--
_______________________________________________
lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus