[Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

[Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Bo Berglund
In Delphi's editor (D7) there is a blue "back arrow" that lights up
after you have clicked on an identifier and selected "Find
declaration".
At this moment the focus jumps to the declaration of the identifier,
which is what one wants. To go back is as simple as clicking on the
arrow.
In Lazarus "Find declaration" function also exists. But then the
problem arrives:
How to get back to where the jump originated? Unless one has set a
bookmark on the line *before* the jump it is very hard to go back if
the code is big.

In Lazarus I don't see the back arrow, so I wonder if there is an
alternate way of doing the jump back?

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Luca Olivetti
Al 05/02/11 17:48, En/na Bo Berglund ha escrit:

> In Lazarus I don't see the back arrow, so I wonder if there is an
> alternate way of doing the jump back?

CTRL+H

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Martin Frb
On 05/02/2011 16:48, Bo Berglund wrote:
> In Lazarus "Find declaration" function also exists. But then the
> problem arrives:
> How to get back to where the jump originated? Unless one has set a
> bookmark on the line *before* the jump it is very hard to go back if
> the code is big.

Ctrl-h, or any key you assign yourself to it.
If you got a 5 btn mouse the 4th, and 5th button also work (forward and
backward)

Martin

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Graeme Geldenhuys
On Saturday, 5 February 2011, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund@.....> wrote:

> In Lazarus I don't see the back arrow, so I wonder if there is an
> alternate way of doing the jump back?

In the edit or search menu is the "back/forward history" via Ctrl+h.
You can also install the "editor toolbar" add-on package (included
with Lazarus). You can then add almost any menu option as toolbar
buttons above the editor window. I have placed the back/forward
buttons there in my setup. The editor toolbar also has other jump to
certain parts in a code unit feature.

  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Bo Berglund
On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 09:50:33 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Saturday, 5 February 2011, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund@.....> wrote:
>>
>> In Lazarus I don't see the back arrow, so I wonder if there is an
>> alternate way of doing the jump back?
>

>In the edit or search menu is the "back/forward history" via Ctrl+h.
>You can also install the "editor toolbar" add-on package (included
>with Lazarus). You can then add almost any menu option as toolbar
>buttons above the editor window. I have placed the back/forward
>buttons there in my setup. The editor toolbar also has other jump to
>certain parts in a code unit feature.

Interesting,
on this note I have another usability question:
The right-click menu item says "Find declaration" and it invariably
brings me to the class declaration for the item selected.
But I usually need to examine the code so I *always* have to follow
this with a Ctrl-Shift-DownArrow to get me to the implementation of
the code.
Is there a quicker way to "Find Implementation"???

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Alexander Klenin
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 00:54, Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The right-click menu item says "Find declaration" and it invariably
> brings me to the class declaration for the item selected.
> But I usually need to examine the code so I *always* have to follow
> this with a Ctrl-Shift-DownArrow to get me to the implementation of
> the code.
> Is there a quicker way to "Find Implementation"???

I agree:

Alexander S. Klenin

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Saturday, 5 February 2011, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund@.....> wrote:
>>
>> In Lazarus I don't see the back arrow, so I wonder if there is an
>> alternate way of doing the jump back?
>

>In the edit or search menu is the "back/forward history" via Ctrl+h.
>You can also install the "editor toolbar" add-on package (included
>with Lazarus). You can then add almost any menu option as toolbar
>buttons above the editor window. I have placed the back/forward
>buttons there in my setup. The editor toolbar also has other jump to
>certain parts in a code unit feature.

I have now installed the "editor toolbar" and I am looking for a way
to add the Ctrl-Shift-Down action to a *button* in the edit window.
But I can't find a way to add a key combination of my choosing, only
already existing menu commands...

Is it possible to add a key combination and if so how is it done?

Re: [Lazarus] Jump back after using "Find declaration"?

Graeme Geldenhuys
Op 2011-02-07 10:45, Bo Berglund het geskryf:
> to add the Ctrl-Shift-Down action to a *button* in the edit window.
> But I can't find a way to add a key combination of my choosing, only
> already existing menu commands...
>
> Is it possible to add a key combination and if so how is it done?

No, I designed it to only use existing IDE menu items to be placed on
the editor toolbar.

I lately find myself using the editor toolbar only for the "jump to
sections inside the current unit" navigation - for everything else, I
use keyboard shortcuts. After all, my hands are mostly over the keyboard
already — no need to reach for the mouse.

Regards,
  - Graeme -