[Lazarus] Introducing new dependencies between components - how to update make files?

[Lazarus] Introducing new dependencies between components - how to update make files?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I'm busy working on expanding AVR support in fpdebug/fpdebugdebugger.  Some of the property classes overlap with classes already defined in gdbmidebugger and I want to move these classes up the hierarchy to avoid duplication.  This introduces extra dependencies and I need to update the affected component make files. I started doing this using the "Create Makefile" option in the Lazarus package tool with FPC 3.2 and noticed large changes in the resulting make file, mostly related to deleted targets such as xtensa-freertos.  Should I use FPC trunk (and more specifically fpcmake from trunk) for  development of Lazarus, or is this just required when regenerating make files?

Also the build order of some of the targets needs to be reordered in the root make file to satisfy the dependency chain,  can I update the Makefile.fpc and MakeFile by hand, or is there a tool/option to also update these make files which are not part of a package?

Best regards,
Christo

Re: [Lazarus] Introducing new dependencies between components - how to update make files?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 11:50:49 +0200
Christo Crause via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm busy working on expanding AVR support in fpdebug/fpdebugdebugger.
>  Some of the property classes overlap with classes already defined in
> gdbmidebugger and I want to move these classes up the hierarchy to
> avoid duplication.  This introduces extra dependencies and I need to
> update the affected component make files. I started doing this using
> the "Create Makefile" option in the Lazarus package tool with FPC 3.2
> and noticed large changes in the resulting make file, mostly related
> to deleted targets such as xtensa-freertos.  Should I use FPC trunk
> (and more specifically fpcmake from trunk) for  development of
> Lazarus, or is this just required when regenerating make files?
>
> Also the build order of some of the targets needs to be reordered in
> the root make file to satisfy the dependency chain,  can I update the
> Makefile.fpc and MakeFile by hand, or is there a tool/option to also
> update these make files which are not part of a package?

The Lazarus Makefiles are created from the corresponding Makefile.fpc.
In order to support fpc trunk, you need fpc trunk sources.

You can update one Makefile by calling the one liner (e.g linux 64bit):

FPCDIR=/path/to/fpc_sources/trunk/fpc/
/path/to/fpc_sources/trunk/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/x86_64-linux/fpcmake
-TAll -v

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM Mattias Gaertner via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 11:50:49 +0200
Christo Crause via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm busy working on expanding AVR support in fpdebug/fpdebugdebugger.
>  Some of the property classes overlap with classes already defined in
> gdbmidebugger and I want to move these classes up the hierarchy to
> avoid duplication.  This introduces extra dependencies and I need to
> update the affected component make files. I started doing this using
> the "Create Makefile" option in the Lazarus package tool with FPC 3.2
> and noticed large changes in the resulting make file, mostly related
> to deleted targets such as xtensa-freertos.  Should I use FPC trunk
> (and more specifically fpcmake from trunk) for  development of
> Lazarus, or is this just required when regenerating make files?
>
> Also the build order of some of the targets needs to be reordered in
> the root make file to satisfy the dependency chain,  can I update the
> Makefile.fpc and MakeFile by hand, or is there a tool/option to also
> update these make files which are not part of a package?

The Lazarus Makefiles are created from the corresponding Makefile.fpc.
In order to support fpc trunk, you need fpc trunk sources.

You can update one Makefile by calling the one liner (e.g linux 64bit):

FPCDIR=/path/to/fpc_sources/trunk/fpc/
/path/to/fpc_sources/trunk/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/x86_64-linux/fpcmake
-TAll -v

Thank you Mattias, that does the trick.