[Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

[Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi All!

I downloaded the three .deb files for 18 RC-4 and tried to install them
(the checksums are valid).

The two fpc 3.0.4 files said that they installed correctly, but all I
can find are versions 3.0.0 and 3.0.2 anywhere on my hdd.

I tried to install the ide but it complained that it was missing fpc 3.0.4.

This is on Linux Mint 18.1 (Sarah).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Don Ziesig

Re: [Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:21:28 -0400
Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I downloaded the three .deb files for 18 RC-4 and tried to install them
> (the checksums are valid).
>
> The two fpc 3.0.4 files said that they installed correctly, but all I
> can find are versions 3.0.0 and 3.0.2 anywhere on my hdd.

This makes no sense.
How did you install the two deb files?

On 10/12/2017 07:52 PM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:21:28 -0400
Donald Ziesig via Lazarus [hidden email] wrote:

Hi All!

I downloaded the three .deb files for 18 RC-4 and tried to install them
(the checksums are valid).

The two fpc 3.0.4 files said that they installed correctly, but all I
can find are versions 3.0.0 and 3.0.2 anywhere on my hdd.
This makes no sense.
How did you install the two deb files?

I tried to install the ide but it complained that it was missing fpc 3.0.4.

This is on Linux Mint 18.1 (Sarah).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mattias

Hi Mattias,

I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives) in the past and never had a problem like this.

I validated the checksums on all three files.

Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the standard path for the installation?

Then same procedure on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc-src_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb.  Result also seems to be success (but again no sign of the sources).

Double click on /home/donz/Downloads/lazarus-project_1.8.0RC4-0_amd64.deb.  Before I can do anything else:

Error:  Dependency is not satisfiable:  fpc(=3.0.4) | fp-compiler(=3.0.4).

I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I do. :'(

Thanks,

Don

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus wrote:

>>> The two fpc 3.0.4 files said that they installed correctly, but all I
>>> can find are versions 3.0.0 and 3.0.2 anywhere on my hdd.
>> This makes no sense.
>> How did you install the two deb files?
>>

>>> I tried to install the ide but it complained that it was missing fpc
>>> 3.0.4.
>>>
>>> This is on Linux Mint 18.1 (Sarah).
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Mattias
>
> Hi Mattias,
>

> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives) in
> the past and never had a problem like this.
>
> I validated the checksums on all three files.

I am a bit surprised. The FPC team hasn't created .deb files for the 3.0.4
release yet. So where did you get those ? Maybe they are simply renamed
3.0.2 installers ?

Re: [Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:12:22 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives) in
> > the past and never had a problem like this.
> >
> > I validated the checksums on all three files.
>
> I am a bit surprised. The FPC team hasn't created .deb files for the 3.0.4
> release yet. So where did you get those ? Maybe they are simply renamed
> 3.0.2 installers ?

I had to create a 3.0.4rc1 deb due to the nefarious Linux backtrace bug.

Re: [Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>
> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>
> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
> standard path for the installation?

Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
/usr/lib/fpc/<version>/

What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?

I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.

dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb

>[...]
> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
> do. :'(

Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.

On 10/13/2017 03:58 AM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
> Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
>> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>>
>> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>>
>> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
>> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
>> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
>> standard path for the installation?
> Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
> /usr/lib/fpc/<version>/
>
> What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?
>
> I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
> no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
> conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.
>
> dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
>

>> [...]
>> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
>> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
>> do. :'(
> Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.
>
> Mattias

Mattias,

dpkg -l | grep fpc
ii  fpc 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all          Free
Pascal - SDK suite dependency package
ii  fpc-3.0.0 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all
Free Pascal - SDK-3.0.0 suite
ii  fpc-source 3.0.0+dfsg-2                                 all
Free Pascal - SDK source code dependency package
ii  fpc-source-3.0.0 3.0.0+dfsg-2
all          Free Pascal - SDK source code

This is consistent with:

fpc -v
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.0+dfsg-2 [2016/01/28] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2015 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Fatal: No source file name in command line
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode

Then:

sudo dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
dpkg: regarding fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb containing fpc:
  fpc conflicts with fpc
   fpc-3.0.0 provides fpc and is present and installed.

dpkg: error processing archive fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb (--install):
  conflicting packages - not installing fpc
  fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb

Unfortunately the gui installer did NOT produce any error messages so I
was misled into thinking that it was successful.

This gives me enough information that I can continue.  I'll keep you
informed of my progress.

Thanks,

Don

Re: [Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

On 10/13/2017 03:58 AM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
> Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
>> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>>
>> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>>
>> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
>> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
>> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
>> standard path for the installation?
> Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
> /usr/lib/fpc/<version>/
>
> What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?
>
> I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
> no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
> conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.
>
> dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
>

>> [...]
>> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
>> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
>> do. :'(
> Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.
>
> Mattias

Mattias,

I got it installed! 8-). The problem I had was with a bunch of
fp-*-3.0.0 packages that were not removed when I uninstalled 1.6.2 and
fpc 3.0.0.  They did not show up in any of the gui package managers
either.  Only when I tried to install 3.0.4 was the fp-compiler-3.0.0*
shown in the error messages.  I removed it and another fp-* package was
reported.  I finally had to remove each of them individually (about 10
or 12), then log out and back in (I think that cleared some kind of
cache, but that is speculation on my part).  I was finally able to
install fpc 3.0.4 and lazarus 1.8RC5.

So far it looks good.  Now I have to install all my components, then
resume work on my current project (as a guinea pig for RC5).

Thanks for the help.

Don