[Lazarus] Indy vs Synopse: POP3

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I need to read e-mails in a few accounts using POP3.
I haven't use Indy for years, but I've installed the version 10 in Lazarus 1.9 (trunk) using FPC 3.1.1.
It seems that things changed like SASLMechanism, which does't work when I click in the button to open the editor, showing me this error:
TGlyphBitmap: Unsupported Resourcetype: XPM Resource Name: DIS_ARROWRIGHT

But maybe this property can be set directly to the code... anyway.

Do you have a simple demo (I haven't found any about it) that show how connect in a Google account, using POP3?
Is there any dependencies as dlls?

As Indy looks like has a "new mechanism" to authentication, I'm thinking if Synopse still work for that job. If Indy has no dependencies, I would like to use it. I believe Synopse has SSL dependencies... I don't know.

Have you already compare both frameworks? Wich one should I choose for this job?

best regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Indy vs Synopse: POP3

On 29/07/18 13:27, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:
> As Indy looks like has a "new mechanism" to authentication, I'm thinking if
> Synopse still work for that job. If Indy has no dependencies, I would like
> to use it. I believe Synopse has SSL dependencies... I don't know.
>
> Have you already compare both frameworks? Wich one should I choose for this
> job?

First off, this is the wrong list to ask these questions. Indy has its
own dedicated support newsgroups and web forums (listed on their
website). They are active and your questions will be answered very
quickly. You can also search existing questions (the newsgroups have a
larger history that the web forums as far as I know). So you'll probably
find your answers just by doing that.

I've used both Synapse and Indy in the past. I preferred the interfaces
that Indy components supplied. Indy also has a ton of working examples
for pretty much every component they supply. StackExchange also has
loads of Indy support questions and answers.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Indy vs Synopse: POP3

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 09:27:17 -0300, "Marcos Douglas B. Santos via
Lazarus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I haven't use Indy for years, but I've installed the version 10 in Lazarus
>1.9 (trunk) using FPC 3.1.1.

How did you install it?
Did you use the Package/OnLinePackageManager to get it thus ensuring
the most recent and working version of Indy?

Regarding GMail, I have used Indy10 to read mail on Gmail via Pop3,
but you need to use the encrypted connection just like if you would
connect to GMail from for example Thunderbird.
The SSL handlers are available as open source and integrated with
Indy. Works fine.

As Graeme has already suggested you should use the Indy specific forum
for questions regarding Indy in Delphi and FPC environments:

https://www.atozed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9

Re: [Lazarus] Indy vs Synopse: POP3

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Bo Berglund via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 09:27:17 -0300, "Marcos Douglas B. Santos via
> Lazarus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >I haven't use Indy for years, but I've installed the version 10 in Lazarus
> >1.9 (trunk) using FPC 3.1.1.
>
> How did you install it?
> Did you use the Package/OnLinePackageManager to get it thus ensuring
> the most recent and working version of Indy?

I've got from trunk, manually installed.

> Regarding GMail, I have used Indy10 to read mail on Gmail via Pop3,
> but you need to use the encrypted connection just like if you would
> connect to GMail from for example Thunderbird.
> The SSL handlers are available as open source and integrated with
> Indy. Works fine.

Do you use SASLMechanism ?
Could you send an example, please? You can send to my inbox if this
kind of subject bother you on that list too.

> As Graeme has already suggested you should use the Indy specific forum
> for questions regarding Indy in Delphi and FPC environments:
>
> https://www.atozed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9

Thanks for the link.

regards,
Marcos Douglas