[Lazarus] IDE option: Convert selection to string ?

[Lazarus] IDE option: Convert selection to string ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

Hello,

The IDE contains a 'make resource string' refactoring option.

This requires the selection to be a pascal string.

However, I quite often find myself in the need to create a string constant
from arbitrary text:

I test an SQL statement in an SQL tool, and then I copy it to the pascal source
file where I need it. I must then manually convert it to a string constant
by adding the necessary quotes, doubling single quotes already there and
appending +sLineBreak+ etc.

It would be nice if the IDE could do this:
select a block of text, and choose 'Refactoring -> convert to pascal string'

Currently I have a separate tool that does this (both ways: quote and unquote,
in case I need to re-rest an SQL statement from my code) but it would be a lot
faster if the IDE could do it for me. Most likely it already contains code
that does similar things like this.

I cannot imagine I am the only one with this need :)

Any chance of getting such a feature ?

Re: [Lazarus] IDE option: Convert selection to string ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot imagine I am the only one with this need :)

+1
Of course you're not alone!

Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] IDE option: Convert selection to string ?

How about something that takes the current caret position in the source editor, the clipboard context, and inserts as a Pascal quoted string that wraps with + at the end of line, and appropriate system defined line break characters?

The command for this would be in the menu as "Edit -> Paste as String", and reassignable through custom keyboard bindings.

This would be easy enough to add, but for me unfortunately I've been busy with moving and renovating my house. When I'm done if no one else has added it, I might write it as an add on package.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:

> How about something that takes the current caret position in the source
> editor, the clipboard context, and inserts as a Pascal quoted string that
> wraps with + at the end of line, and appropriate system defined line break
> characters?
>
> The command for this would be in the menu as "Edit -> Paste as String", and
> reassignable through custom keyboard bindings.
>
> This would be easy enough to add, but for me unfortunately I've been busy
> with moving and renovating my house. When I'm done if no one else has added
> it, I might write it as an add on package.

I think both options should be available. Sometimes the clipboard contains
'too much' and I want to limit the selection.

The underlying mechanism is of course the same.

On 12/07/2018 14:36, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:

> How about something that takes the current caret position in the
> source editor, the clipboard context, and inserts as a Pascal quoted
> string that wraps with + at the end of line, and appropriate system
> defined line break characters?
>
> The command for this would be in the menu as "Edit -> Paste as
> String", and reassignable through custom keyboard bindings.
>
> This would be easy enough to add, but for me unfortunately I've been
> busy with moving and renovating my house. When I'm done if no one else
> has added it, I might write it as an add on package.

For this, have a look ot menu Edit > Multi line paste

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:

> On 12/07/2018 14:36, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:
>> How about something that takes the current caret position in the
>> source editor, the clipboard context, and inserts as a Pascal quoted
>> string that wraps with + at the end of line, and appropriate system
>> defined line break characters?
>>
>> The command for this would be in the menu as "Edit -> Paste as
>> String", and reassignable through custom keyboard bindings.
>>
>> This would be easy enough to add, but for me unfortunately I've been
>> busy with moving and renovating my house. When I'm done if no one else
>> has added it, I might write it as an add on package.
>>
> For this, have a look ot menu Edit > Multi line paste

'Multipaste'

Very nice, these hidden gems... :)

On 12/07/2018 14:19, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:

> It would be nice if the IDE could do this:
> select a block of text, and choose 'Refactoring -> convert to pascal
> string'
>
> Currently I have a separate tool that does this (both ways: quote and
> unquote, in case I need to re-rest an SQL statement from my code) but
> it would be a lot faster if the IDE could do it for me. Most likely it
> already contains code
> that does similar things like this.

While it would be nice as a build in, you can always add it as pascal
script macro.