[Lazarus] IDE Spotter

[Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
3- input (edit) is not autosized, so height is small on Ubuntu.

4- if window is narrow: hotkey overlaps caption. better do: caption
overlaps hotkey.

Alex

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
5- on opening window, list is empty. i type "d", backspace, now list is
_not empty?

Alex

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:

> 1- If i hold Up/Down key (edit is focused), i dont get many up/down
> moves in listbox.
> (only one move. Ubuntu 18 gtk2).

Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.

> 2- colors (red, green) are configurable?

Yes. See "Tools - Options - Environment - IDE Spotter".

This is actually documented in the Readme.txt file of the package.

The readme.txt is mandatory for lazarus packages.
Seems like a waste of effort :(

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:

> 3- input (edit) is not autosized, so height is small on Ubuntu.

So ?

> 4- if window is narrow: hotkey overlaps caption. better do: caption
> overlaps hotkey.

I disagree. I specially chose it like this.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:

> 5- on opening window, list is empty. i type "d", backspace, now list is
> _not empty?

I will change this.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:00:59 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:
>
> > 1- If i hold Up/Down key (edit is focused), i dont get many up/down
> > moves in listbox.
> > (only one move. Ubuntu 18 gtk2).
>
> Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.
>
> > 2- colors (red, green) are configurable?
>
> Yes. See "Tools - Options - Environment - IDE Spotter".

Maybe add a small button for settings.

> This is actually documented in the Readme.txt file of the package.
>
> The readme.txt is mandatory for lazarus packages.
> Seems like a waste of effort :(

The readme.txt is for those browsing the folders, while the description
in the lpk is for those installing a package. It's ok to use a
short description and then point to the full description -
location of your choice.
And you can add a help button for users.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:00:59 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> > 1- If i hold Up/Down key (edit is focused), i dont get many up/down
>> > moves in listbox.
>> > (only one move. Ubuntu 18 gtk2).
>>
>> Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.
>>
>> > 2- colors (red, green) are configurable?
>>
>> Yes. See "Tools - Options - Environment - IDE Spotter".
>
> Maybe add a small button for settings.

OK. How to open the settings dialog on a particular tab ?

>> This is actually documented in the Readme.txt file of the package.
>>
>> The readme.txt is mandatory for lazarus packages.
>> Seems like a waste of effort :(
>
> The readme.txt is for those browsing the folders, while the description
> in the lpk is for those installing a package.

The readme.txt is contained in the package files.
So you can see it in the list.  This seems kind of redundant.

But I have referred to the readme in the description... Small effort after all.

>It's ok to use a
> short description and then point to the full description -
> location of your choice.
> And you can add a help button for users.

Nono, I think the window should be as minimalistic as possible.

I even think the settings button is already a violation of my almost
non-existing esthetic feelings... :)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT wrote:

>> 3- input (edit) is not autosized, so height is small on Ubuntu.
>>
>> So ?
>
> better set AutoSize=true, so height will be native. (1.3x bigger.)

Done.

Originally there were some resizing problems. At some point I indeed
disabled AutoSize, because the effect of AutoSize for an edit is totally
unclear to me.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

  >I think the window should be as minimalistic as possible.

good to add: spacing around edit (top, left, right) and listbox (left,
right, bottom), 4-6pixels.

Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On 24.09.2018 13:26, R0b0t1 via Lazarus wrote:
> IDE Spotter (this is a "Working Title").

Sublime Text and CudaText and Atom: name is Command Palette, better use
this.

Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:

> On 24.09.2018 13:26, R0b0t1 via Lazarus wrote:
>> IDE Spotter (this is a "Working Title").
>
> Sublime Text and CudaText and Atom: name is Command Palette, better use this.

Originally I did exactly that. But Mattias wanted a more catchy name.

We still plan to add search in recent items, in which case it will be more
than just commands...

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I suggest shorter title - Runner.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

vojtech.cihak

TEdit.Autosize does autosizing of edit's Height to its Font (mainly font.size or font.height). It does not affect edit's Width.

V.

> Datum: 24.09.2018 15:26
> Předmět: Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter- issues

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT wrote:

>> 3- input (edit) is not autosized, so height is small on Ubuntu.
>>
>> So ?
>
> better set AutoSize=true, so height will be native. (1.3x bigger.)

Done.

Originally there were some resizing problems. At some point I indeed
disabled AutoSize, because the effect of AutoSize for an edit is totally
unclear to me.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:21:09 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > Maybe add a small button for settings.
>
> OK. How to open the settings dialog on a particular tab ?

Something like this
LazarusIDE.DoOpenIDEOptions(TYourIDEOptionsFrame);

> >> This is actually documented in the Readme.txt file of the package.
> >>
> >> The readme.txt is mandatory for lazarus packages.
> >> Seems like a waste of effort :(
> >
> > The readme.txt is for those browsing the folders, while the description
> > in the lpk is for those installing a package.
>
> The readme.txt is contained in the package files.
> So you can see it in the list.  This seems kind of redundant.

There are multiple entry points to find your help, yes.

> But I have referred to the readme in the description... Small effort after all.

:)

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On 09/24/2018 09:00 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> 1- If i hold Up/Down key (edit is focused), i dont get many up/down moves
>> in listbox. (only one move. Ubuntu 18 gtk2). >
> Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.

auto-key-repeat is ignored?

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, wkitty42--- via Lazarus wrote:

> On 09/24/2018 09:00 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, AlexeyT via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>>> 1- If i hold Up/Down key (edit is focused), i dont get many up/down moves
>>> in listbox. (only one move. Ubuntu 18 gtk2). >
>> Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.
>

> auto-key-repeat is ignored?

I don't know what messages are sent when the key is held down.
I assume when you keep the key down, only key-down messages are sent.
At this moment, the key-up event is used.  I will investigate it.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Spotter

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 07:54:44 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, wkitty42--- via Lazarus wrote:

> >> Don't keep it pressed. press multiple times.
> >

> > auto-key-repeat is ignored?
>
> I don't know what messages are sent when the key is held down.

KeyPress

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 07:54:44 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > auto-key-repeat is ignored?
>>
>> I don't know what messages are sent when the key is held down.
>
> KeyPress

I doubt that.

procedure TSpotterForm.ESearchKeyPress(Sender: TObject; var Key: char);

This signature cannot handle an arrow key or shift state.
Those are only available in key down/up events.