[Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

[Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
Hi,

Is it a known issue, or by design, that the Editor Toolbar doesn't
appear when the Anchor Docking packages is installed? Is it some docking
window limitation?

My environmentoptions.xml file still lists all my previous Editor
Toolbar items, but only a blank TPanel (I think) is displayed. No editor
toolbar buttons at all.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

leledumbo
Administrator

Not an issue for me:
anchor-docking-and-editor-toolbar.png

On 2016-09-20 17:38, leledumbo wrote:
> Not an issue for me:

Is your Lazarus IDE also compiled against LCL-GTK2? Also I have my
Editor Tabs set to display on the right, not the top. I don't know if
any of these might interfere with the Editor Toolbar + Anchor Docking.

Without Anchor Docking installed, the editor toolbar worked fine - even
with my editor tabs on the right edge of the editor.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

Mattias Gaertner
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:43:44 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2016-09-20 17:38, leledumbo wrote:
> > Not an issue for me:
>
> Is your Lazarus IDE also compiled against LCL-GTK2? Also I have my
> Editor Tabs set to display on the right, not the top. I don't know if
> any of these might interfere with the Editor Toolbar + Anchor Docking.

It only disappears when on the right?

I use LCL-GTK2 with Anchordocking and Editor Toolbar to the right, no
problem.

On 2016-09-21 09:06, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> It only disappears when on the right?

Sorry if my message wasn't clear. Here is a screenshot of what I see,
and below is the Editor Toolbar settings as seen in the
environmentoptions.xml file.

      <EditorToolBarOptions Version="1" Count="16">
        <Button1 Name="Jump to Implementation"/>
        <Button2 Name="IDEMainMenu/View/itmViewMainWindows/ViewToDoList"/>
        <Button3 Name="---------------"/>
        <Button4 Name="Jump back"/>
        <Button5 Name="Jump forward"/>
        <Button6 Name="---------------"/>
        <Button7 Name="Toggle view Breakpoints"/>
        <Button8 Name="Toggle view Watches"/>
        <Button9 Name="Toggle view Local Variables"/>
        <Button10 Name="Toggle view Call Stack"/>
        <Button11 Name="Toggle view Debugger Output"/>
        <Button12 Name="---------------"/>
        <Button13 Name="Compile project/program"/>
        <Button14 Name="Build project/program"/>
        <Button15 Name="Run parameters"/>
        <Button16
Name="IDEMainMenu/Source/itmSourceTools/jcfJEDICodeFormat/jcfCurrentEditorWindow"/>
      </EditorToolBarOptions>

When I disable Anchor Docking, then the Editor Toolbar displays
correctly. Enable Anchor Docking, and it looks like the attached screenshot.

As I mentioned, I'm using Lazarus 1.7 r52715 FPC 2.6.4 x86_64-linux-gtk
2 on a CentOS 6 Linux system.

Regards,
  Graeme

screenshot10.png (32K) Download Attachment

Kinda ugly, but yes it works:
anchor-docking-and-editor-toolbar-gtk2.png

On 2016-09-21 11:01, leledumbo wrote:
> Kinda ugly, but yes it works:

Thanks for confirming... Now I’m very confused as to why it doesn’t work
here.

As for the “ugly” comment - yes, I don’t know why LCL-GTK2 tabs on the
right must be so “fat” (vertical space). With fpGUI or MSEide
pagecontrol widgets, I can fit almost 3× the amount of tabs in the
vertical space taken up by what your screenshot shows.

I use tabs-on-the-right because I work with a lot of files at once. I
hate having to scroll to find a file I need. With vertical stacked tabs,
I see all the open files in one go without any scrolling. It has its
benefits. ;-)

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

Denis Kozlov
On 20/09/2016 15:23, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Is it a known issue, or by design, that the Editor Toolbar doesn't
> appear when the Anchor Docking packages is installed? Is it some docking
> window limitation?

It is somewhat documented in: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29863

All toolbars disappear once you install anchor docking package, so
toolbars need to be re-enabled manually. That's one of the problems. The
other one is more severe, i.e. "TWinControl.WMSize loop detected".

Denis

On 2016-09-21 11:37, Denis Kozlov wrote:
> It is somewhat documented in: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29863

Umm... thanks for that.

It seems for every good feature in Lazarus IDE, there is an inevitable
trade-off somewhere else. :-(  All I wanted was a single tabbed window
to collect all IDE debug windows in one place - the trade-off is I loose
the useful Editor Toolbar. If I have some time over the weekend I'll see
if I can debug the cause.

On 2016-09-20 15:23, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Is it a known issue, or by design, that the Editor Toolbar doesn't
> appear when the Anchor Docking packages is installed? Is it some docking
> window limitation?

Seems I found the problem. My environmentoptions.xml file now contains
two "desktop" settings for some reason. Without Ancher Docking it used
"desktop1", but with Anchor Docking it uses "desktop2". I assume when I
installed Anchor Docking it created a second set of desktop settings -
but never copied over my original Editor Toolbar settings.

Manually copying my Editor Toolbar configuration from desktop1 to
desktop2 - now my IDE has docked windows and the editor toolbar I so
like. :)

I presume this is a bug with Anchor Docking - not copying over certain
settings to desktop2.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

Mattias Gaertner
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 12:21:12 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> Manually copying my Editor Toolbar configuration from desktop1 to
> desktop2 - now my IDE has docked windows and the editor toolbar I so
> like. :)
>
> I presume this is a bug with Anchor Docking - not copying over certain
> settings to desktop2.

Even without copying. You should be able to show the toolbar and
add buttons without editing the xml. I wonder, why it works here, but
not for you.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Docking windows and Editor Toolbar

Ondrej Pokorny
On 21.09.2016 18:32, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 12:21:12 +0100
> Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Manually copying my Editor Toolbar configuration from desktop1 to
>> desktop2 - now my IDE has docked windows and the editor toolbar I so
>> like. :)
>>
>> I presume this is a bug with Anchor Docking - not copying over certain
>> settings to desktop2.
> Even without copying. You should be able to show the toolbar and
> add buttons without editing the xml. I wonder, why it works here, but
> not for you.

IMO this is a misunderstanding. As far as I see from Graeme's
screenshots the toolbar is there and works but is empty. Graeme please
see http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29742 point 2, especially the
"why" section.

So the only problem is that there is no default layout for AnchorDocking.

Ondrej

On 2016-09-21 12:44, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> As far as I see from Graeme's
> screenshots the toolbar is there and works but is empty.

Correct, I could right-click on the empty Editor Toolbar and select
"Configure". It worked, but I didn't want to do that in case it
overwrote my existing Editor Toolbar configuration which I knew existed
in environmentoptions.xml.

Up until now, I didn't even know Lazarus supports multiple desktop
configurations. I just found it in the Tools menu.

> Graeme please
> see http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29742 point 2, especially the
> "why" section.

That is a very valid point. When I go to "Tools -> Options ->
Environment" I would assume all setting under "Environment" apply to the
whole IDE. Moving settings specific for a desktop layout in a new
"Desktop" options would make more sense.

On 2016-09-21 12:44, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> So the only problem is that there is no default layout for AnchorDocking.

Correct, and maybe default by copying the existing desktop settings (for
Editor Toolbar) to the new desktop settings. If you only had one desktop
to start with, that shouldn't be hard, but if you have multiple desktop
layouts set up, I don't know how it would choose which one to copy
settings from.

On 21.09.2016 19:22, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2016-09-21 12:44, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
>> As far as I see from Graeme's
>> screenshots the toolbar is there and works but is empty.
> Correct, I could right-click on the empty Editor Toolbar and select
> "Configure". It worked, but I didn't want to do that in case it
> overwrote my existing Editor Toolbar configuration which I knew existed
> in environmentoptions.xml.

Well see your original message:

On 20.09.2016 21:23, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Is it a known issue, or by design, that the Editor Toolbar doesn't
> appear when the Anchor Docking packages is installed?

Nevertheless let's discuss the necessarity of this particular Desktops
feature in the "Desktops - some features overengineered (?)" thread.

Ondrej