[Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Ondrej Pokorny
According to some recent discussions and bug reports, I plan to rework
the Desktops feature in the IDE. Before I again get a "Please stop the
IDE regressions!" messages, I decided to announce and discuss the topic
in the mailing list in advance.

The redesign will include the following points:

1.) Removal of IDE Options -> Environment -> Windows -> Window Positons.
Why: The desktop features duplicate "Restore window geometry" and
"Custom window geometry" settings. The other two settings ("Let
windowmanager decide" and "Fixed default geometry") seem useless for me.
The options also conflict with Desktop window layout.
Column widths and other window layout settings will be saved through new
generic interface.

2.) Moving options that are saved in the desktop into new IDE Options
category "Desktop" (within the same IDE Options dialog).
"Environment -> Window" :: "Desktop -> Window"
"Environment -> IDE coolbar" :: "Desktop -> IDE coolbar"
"Environment -> Editor toolbar" :: "Desktop -> Editor toolbar"
"Environment -> AnchorDocking" :: "Desktop -> AnchorDocking"
Why: just to make sure people understand that these settings are saved
in the Desktop and change when Desktop is changed and that they are not
IDE-wide.

3.) User-configurable options (from IDE Options) will be always auto
saved just like all other options are. The "auto save" setting from
Desktop Manager will affect only window layout that is not manually
configurable.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Anthony Walter
Ondrej, a couple of questions.

Do you plan to tackle the incorrect layout restore problem with docked layouts? Issue #29200

Do you plan to provide a better default layout, or management of default layouts? Currently when you install anchor docking the first layout you are given is essentially broken. There ought to be a usable default layout for all modes, docked and undocked.

Do you plan to fix the problem with environment xml version upgrades wiping out layouts? So far anytime I get the message to upgrade the options (based on option version numbers changing) all my layouts are wiped out including toolbar buttons.

While were at it, would it be possible to add a layout option for all TToolbars in the IDE to either A) show captions and icons, B) show icons only or C) show text only, and resize the toolbars appropriately? See http://video.getlazarus.org/small-toolbars.mp4

And finally, I'd be careful with auto saving layouts. In the past I've had problems where the layouts get corrupted and auto save essentially destroyed my layouts as a result. Sometimes I want to save a layout manually and I do not want the IDE to overwrite it in the event I experience a layout corruption.

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

> According to some recent discussions and bug reports, I plan to rework the
> Desktops feature in the IDE. Before I again get a "Please stop the IDE
> regressions!" messages, I decided to announce and discuss the topic in the
> mailing list in advance.
>
> The redesign will include the following points:
>
> 1.) Removal of IDE Options -> Environment -> Windows -> Window Positons.

I currently have all these set to 'Restore window geometry'.
This basically means that I start with the same desktop as where I left off,
which is what I want. I don't need to do anything for this.

What will happen after you implement this ?

On 26.02.2016 8:13, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
1.) Removal of IDE Options -> Environment -> Windows -> Window Positons.

I currently have all these set to 'Restore window geometry'.
This basically means that I start with the same desktop as where I left off,
which is what I want. I don't need to do anything for this.

What will happen after you implement this ?

IMO nothing. Just remove the check "auto save active desktop" in Manage desktops dialog and you always start with the same desktop.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

> On 26.02.2016 8:13, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>> 1.) Removal of IDE Options -> Environment -> Windows -> Window Positons.
>>
>> I currently have all these set to 'Restore window geometry'.
>> This basically means that I start with the same desktop as where I left
>> off,
>> which is what I want. I don't need to do anything for this.
>>
>> What will happen after you implement this ?
>
> IMO nothing. Just remove the check "auto save active desktop" in Manage
> desktops dialog and you always start with the same desktop.

But that is not what I want ?
I want to start with the desktop as it was where I left off.

I don't use desktops now.
So I need to use desktops, and check "auto save active desktop" to achieve
what I want, after your rework ?

(not pushing any change in direction, just trying to understand what will
happen)

On 26.02.2016 8:04, Anthony Walter wrote:
Ondrej, a couple of questions.

Do you plan to tackle the incorrect layout restore problem with docked layouts? Issue #29200

I tried hard to fix it but failed.

Do you plan to provide a better default layout, or management of default layouts? Currently when you install anchor docking the first layout you are given is essentially broken. There ought to be a usable default layout for all modes, docked and undocked.

Not in this redesign. It's another issue and should be reported/solved independently.

Do you plan to fix the problem with environment xml version upgrades wiping out layouts? So far anytime I get the message to upgrade the options (based on option version numbers changing) all my layouts are wiped out including toolbar buttons.

I rewrote the toolbar button interface. Unfortunately some changes were not backwards compatible. From now on toolbar buttons should stay when upgrading IDE options. I am not aware of losing window layouts.

While were at it, would it be possible to add a layout option for all TToolbars in the IDE to either A) show captions and icons, B) show icons only or C) show text only, and resize the toolbars appropriately? See http://video.getlazarus.org/small-toolbars.mp4

Not in this redesign. It's another issue and should be reported/solved independently.

And finally, I'd be careful with auto saving layouts. In the past I've had problems where the layouts get corrupted and auto save essentially destroyed my layouts as a result. Sometimes I want to save a layout manually and I do not want the IDE to overwrite it in the event I experience a layout corruption.

You are free not to auto save your layouts. Nothing will change in this respect.

On 26.02.2016 8:48, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>> IMO nothing. Just remove the check "auto save active desktop" in
>> Manage desktops dialog and you always start with the same desktop.
>
> But that is not what I want ?
> I want to start with the desktop as it was where I left off.
>
> I don't use desktops now.
> So I need to use desktops, and check "auto save active desktop" to
> achieve
> what I want, after your rework ?

Yes sorry. I misinterpreted your question.

Yes, you have to check "auto save active desktop" to start with the
window layout where you left off. It is checked by default, so you don't
have to do anything.

Btw. nothing will change here, it works like this already now. You can
try to uncheck auto-save then move windows, restart IDE and you'll see
it. The "Restore window geometry" is useless if you uncheck auto-save in
Desktops.

> (not pushing any change in direction, just trying to understand what
> will happen)

No problem, I am not overly sensitive, please write any
thoughs/ideas/critics freely.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Ondrej Pokorny