[Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

[Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Bo Berglund
I am investigating if I will have any chance to switch to Lazarus/FPC
from Delphi with our code projects. I have now read a good many wiki
and other pages and it seems like I will have problems getting started
because of the following component related issues:

1) We have created a number of non-visual components that are dropped
on the forms to supply various kinds of functionality. Some of these
are handlers for language dependent texts, software protection
dongles, communications interfaces like RS232 serial components,
logging functions etc.
Seems like non-visual components are not handled by Lazarus according
to wiki texts I have read.

2) We also created children of a few VCL components to enhance their
use, like the TListView which Delphi defaults to states we never use.
So we made a TEasyListView child where we add some properties and set
the defaults of others differently. THis is used in a large number of
forms...

3) We created a custom component package, which we always install into
any new Delphi installation before we go to load the projects. It
seems like component packages do not exist in Lazarus...

4) We use several open source component packages as well:
- Indy 10
- Asynch Pro
- GLScene (an older version 0.8.x is needed)
How can we handle this? Especially the GLScene one would be a killer
if not possible to use in Lazarus at level 0.8.x. When GLScene went
from 0.8 to 1.0 they removed a very important property of the viewer,
which I never could repair. So I had to stick with 0.8.2.

5) We use some VCL features which according to wiki pages I have read
are not supported in Lazarus, like TSplitter (used in many forms).
(http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_For_Delphi_Users)

6) An important non-visual component on almost all of our applications
is a handler I wrote a long time ago (about 2000) for the Safenet
Sentinel Superpro software protection dongle. It is mostly my own code
but it uses pas and an obj file supplied from Safenet. If Lazarus does
not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...
How can I find out?

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

leledumbo
Administrator
> Seems like non-visual components are not handled by Lazarus according to wiki texts I have read.

Then how we can use T[mention a dbms here]? Dialogs? Action list? Logger? Indy? etc. All of them are non-visual.

> How can we handle this?

Indy 10 -> already supported
TurboPower Async Pro -> feel free to port
GLScene -> they're moving forward, so are we. If you need to stick with old version that no longer works, I'm afraid you're alone to make the package work with current Lazarus version.

> We use some VCL features which according to wiki pages I have read are not supported in Lazarus, like TSplitter

It was, but for a long time both TSplitter and TPairSplitter have been existed until now. Both seem to work fine although I prefer TPairSplitter (I've ported a Delphi project which uses TSplitter).

> How can I find out?

Free Pascal deals with COFF object files. If those object files from your vendor are not in this format, then you can't use it. Ensure what the object files format is first, then consult back here. You can try linking the object files, if the linker refuses, then you know the conclusion.

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2015-06-15 07:21, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I have now read a good many wiki
> and other pages and it seems like I will have problems getting started
> because of the following component related issues:

It seems a lot of that wiki text is out of date too. ;-)  So it is good
you rather ask here or in the Lazarus Forums.

> Sentinel Superpro software protection dongle. It is mostly my own code
> but it uses pas and an obj file supplied from Safenet. If Lazarus does
> not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...

Leledumbo already answered that.

If you could consider alternatives, then you could take a look at the
FPC port of Turbo Power's OnGuard. I've been using this for years in a
commercial environment creating trial versions, leased software etc. My
port is available on Github [https://github.com/graemeg/onguard], but I
believe another port is floating around somewhere too.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Michael Schnell
On 06/15/2015 08:21 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> - Asynch Pro
It would be just great to have this ported to be runnable in Windows,
Linux, and Mac as a Lazarus package !

(I would be happy to use it for my experiments, but as I don't have a
real project for this, I never tried to do the port myself.)

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Michael Schnell
On 06/15/2015 08:21 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>   If Lazarus does not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...

Lazarus (including packages) and free pascal are cross-platform tools
supporting multiple Archs and CPUs. So an "obj" file can't be "decently
supported" as it will work just on a single CPU/OS combination.

If you just want Windows/X86, why not stay with Delphi ?

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

aradeonas
If you just want Windows/X86, why not stay with Delphi ?

I dont know his reason but multi platform is not  the only reason for Lazarus,Mostly I develop for Windows but my main reason for developing with Lazarus is simple as I love it ;)

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Sven Barth

Am 16.06.2015 15:47 schrieb "Michael Schnell" <[hidden email]>:

> On 06/15/2015 08:21 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>>   If Lazarus does not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...
>

> Lazarus (including packages) and free pascal are cross-platform tools supporting multiple Archs and CPUs. So an "obj" file can't be "decently supported" as it will work just on a single CPU/OS combination.

Please don't assume that only because one /can/ write cross platform code with FPC/Lazarus that one must do so. ;)

On 2015-06-16 15:53, aradeonas wrote:
> but my main reason for developing with Lazarus is simple as I love it ;)

+1

Being open source and allowing me to customise things the way I like is
a brilliant feature. I also think FPC is a way better compiler than
Delphi - on many levels.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:33:03 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>It seems a lot of that wiki text is out of date too. ;-)  So it is good
>you rather ask here or in the Lazarus Forums.

Well I tried reading the docs first because on other fora you are told
to RTFM first. Hard when the manual text is inaccurate.
I will use this avenue then.

>> Sentinel Superpro software protection dongle. It is mostly my own code
>> but it uses pas and an obj file supplied from Safenet. If Lazarus does
>> not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...
>
>Leledumbo already answered that.

It might be the killer for me then...

>If you could consider alternatives, then you could take a look at the
>FPC port of Turbo Power's OnGuard. I've been using this for years in a
>commercial environment creating trial versions, leased software etc. My
>port is available on Github [https://github.com/graemeg/onguard], but I
>believe another port is floating around somewhere too.

Not really possible because we have thousands of customers using the
software which I am now considering porting to Lazarus. So I
definitely need to keep going with the SuperPro system.
I think I will ask the support at SafeNet for their views.

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:47:35 +0200, Michael Schnell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 06/15/2015 08:21 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>   If Lazarus does not work with this obj file then I would be dead in the water...
>
>Lazarus (including packages) and free pascal are cross-platform tools
>supporting multiple Archs and CPUs. So an "obj" file can't be "decently
>supported" as it will work just on a single CPU/OS combination.

OK, then I understand. Might not be easy to get that out of Safenet..

>If you just want Windows/X86, why not stay with Delphi ?

Have you looked at the deterioration of the Embarcadero support
lately? Just try their user forum or the news mirror of it!
It is offline at least half the time every day at random times.
Week-ends if crashing it stays off-line until Tuesday (in Europe).

And the problems started more than a year ago; when they finally came
on line again they had lost all past threads and basically started out
totally blank!
This is a problem for more than a year now!
Meanwhile they have started the money game:

- Every 6 months they release a new version of their RAD Studio XE,
now at XE8. I bought in on XE5 as an upgrade from RAD Studio 2007 at
the end of 2013 to test multi-platform support, then I skipped XE6 but
felt that I had to get up to date so I bought XE7 not even 2 months
later they came out with XE8...
And the upgrades are really expensive too!

- The problem I feel is that as soon as they release a new version all
support stops for the earlier versions. There are no longer any
patches or updates coming along and all bug reports must be against
the latest version.

- The next problem is that they do not feel obliged to fix the bugs
reported until maybe in a much later release. There are numerous
threads in their forum about this where angry customers show how a
serious bug has propagated for years even in face of a Quality Central
report every time...

So even though I have used Delphi since 1995 (D1-D2-D3-D4-D5-D7-(long
time use)-BDS2006-D2007-XE5-XE7 I am now feeling weary of it all...

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:13:42 +0200, Sven Barth
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Lazarus (including packages) and free pascal are cross-platform tools
>supporting multiple Archs and CPUs. So an "obj" file can't be "decently
>supported" as it will work just on a single CPU/OS combination.
>
>Please don't assume that only because one /can/ write cross platform code
>with FPC/Lazarus that one must do so. ;)

Right, my reasons to want to move these programs is different.
- Weariness with Emabracdero lack of user support
- Want to investigate the use of a *working* 64 bit compiler
- Working user P2P support forum available 24/7

I am not going mobile with these programs either, but we are
developing Android Apps using the Andoid Studio.
One reason to get XE5 in 2013 was to test the support for mobile
applications with Delphi, but we are using the industry standard
toolls here instead.

Can Lazarus do Android platform apps?

On 2015-06-16 23:38, Bo Berglund wrote:
> So even though I have used Delphi since 1995 (D1-D2-D3-D4-D5-D7-(long
> time use)-BDS2006-D2007-XE5-XE7 I am now feeling weary of it all...

I fully agree with everything you have said. In fact I too gave up on
their always down "support newsgroup". Pathetic that they can't fix it.
I host my own news servers for various open source projects, and never
had such bad down time in the 7 years I've been doing it.

EMBT outprice most single or small development teams too. Just crazy. I
don't know what they are thinking (if at all).

Luckily we foresaw this downfall years ago, and we moved all our
products to FPC, Lazarus and fpGUI. We can't be happier now, and never
looked back.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

wkitty42
On 06/16/2015 06:43 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Can Lazarus do Android platform apps?

errrmmm... it could the last time i looked... i don't do android or any small
devices like that but there's been a lot of discussion and work on that
capability over the last several years ;)

Am 17.06.2015 00:22 schrieb "Bo Berglund" <[hidden email]>:
> >If you could consider alternatives, then you could take a look at the
> >FPC port of Turbo Power's OnGuard. I've been using this for years in a
> >commercial environment creating trial versions, leased software etc. My
> >port is available on Github [https://github.com/graemeg/onguard], but I
> >believe another port is floating around somewhere too.
>
> Not really possible because we have thousands of customers using the
> software which I am now considering porting to Lazarus. So I
> definitely need to keep going with the SuperPro system.
> I think I will ask the support at SafeNet for their views.

Maybe you can ask them to provide FPC compiled object files for the platforms you need (under the assumption that their code is portable enough). You'd need the .ppu and .o file and you'd have to stick to the same compiler version (and if they depend on the LCL also same Lazarus version). Thus I'd wait with that till FPC 3.0.0 is released in (hopefully) a few months as FPC 2.6.4 is nearing EoL. Of course you can already check back with SafeNet if they'd provide you with binaries or even better the source.

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

aradeonas
Can Lazarus do Android platform apps?

Yes but its wrong and I didn't saw any good new-age-look app with it.

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A fast, anti-spam email service.

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Michael Van Canneyt

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, aradeonas wrote:

> Can Lazarus do Android platform apps?
>

> Yes but its wrong and I didn't saw any good new-age-look app with it.

Why ?

If you use the JVM compiler, the app uses the Java SDK, and it will look exactly like the
android native apps look, because then it IS a native android app.

Of course, you can't use the LCL then.

Michael

On 2015-06-17 07:26, Sven Barth wrote:
> Of course you can already check back with SafeNet if they'd provide you
> with binaries or even better the source.

[I know it is a bit late for the original posted]

For that reason I refuse to purchase any software components that don't
include full source code. Some ISV's can be very slack with support, or
very slow to progress. eg: Digital Metaphors don't support FPC or
Lazarus with their ReportBuilder product. Yet I knew somebody that
bought it will full source code, and managed to port it themselves. Full
source code gives you that option, and you don't have to be locked in or
at the mercy of the ISV.

Either way, it is good to ask the ISV's to support Free Pascal and
Lazarus. Always raise the interest.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

On 06/16/2015 06:14 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Being open source and allowing me to customise things the way I like
> is a brilliant feature.
He also wants to use closed source 3rd party stuff and want to impose
copy protection to his projects. All that is rather queer with an open
source IDE.

-Michael

On 2015-06-17 09:34, Michael Schnell wrote:
> All that is rather queer with an open
> source IDE.

Closed source 3rd part stuff might be problematic.

As for imposing copy protection on software... I have no problem with
that at all. I do it myself, otherwise how am I going to make money off
software that took me years to develop. Not everything in this world
needs to be open source. Developers need to make a living too. I know
this is a fine line. eg: I personally think development tools (compiler,
IDE and debugger) should be open source. 3rd Party components should
come with source code, and applications being developed can be anything.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

aradeonas
Yes but its wrong

Wrong is typo here but its likely to be true.In Android and iOS I didn't saw ant foreign language do a good job.If you saw any good app with beautiful standard UI tell me.

I mean if they are going with AsndroidStudio probably they should continue with that,just compiling for a device is not a good reason to make app with it.

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class