[Lazarus] How to start Lazarus on Mac ?

After installing Lazarus and recompiling it with the packages I need, it
restarts and I see the packages I want.

Then I stop lazarus and start it again through Launchpad.

In this case, I get the originally installed Lazarus. No sign of the new
packages. I look in the packages list, and it says e.g.
'pas2js selected for install, but not installed'
(or something similar).

If I start Lazarus through the ~/.lazarus/bin/lazarus.app icon, then it
works. (I made a link on the desktop, so I can start it).

But, here is the question:

How can I make sure the icon in Launchpad starts the correct (i.e. newly
compiled) Lazarus ?

Should not the system installed version  detect the 'local' version and start that ?

Re: [Lazarus] How to start Lazarus on Mac ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 04/10/2020 2:52 pm, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
> Should not the system installed version  detect the 'local' version and start that ?

From my experience with MacOS, it only looks inside the *.app directory for what to
use. Local (installed in user home folder) doesn't affect it in any way. This is not
only a Lazarus issue. I had the same with jEdit (system install & user install).
Eventually I removed the system installed version, so there is only every one
instance of the app.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] How to start Lazarus on Mac ?

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 15:52:27 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> Should not the system installed version  detect the 'local' version
> and start that ?

Sounds like:

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 15:52:27 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Should not the system installed version  detect the 'local' version
>> and start that ?
>
> Sounds like:
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=37753

I think the correct solution is indeed to let the installed "Lazarus.app" start
the startlazarus binary. That will then take care of the rest.

Any idea how I can accomplish this myself ?
I tried setting the symbolic link 'lazarus' in /Application/Lazarus.app/Contents/MacOS
to ../../../startlazarus, but that does not seem to be enough.

I get strange effects, that's the least I can say :-)

Re: [Lazarus] How to start Lazarus on Mac ?

Hi

> Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 22:21:06 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]>
> To: Mattias Gaertner via lazarus <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] How to start Lazarus on Mac ?
>
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 15:52:27 +0200 (CEST)
>> Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Should not the system installed version  detect the 'local' version
>>> and start that ?
>>
>> Sounds like:
>> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=37753
>
> I think the correct solution is indeed to let the installed "Lazarus.app" start
> the startlazarus binary. That will then take care of the rest.
>
> Any idea how I can accomplish this myself ?
> I tried setting the symbolic link 'lazarus' in /Application/Lazarus.app/Contents/MacOS
> to ../../../startlazarus, but that does not seem to be enough.
>
> I get strange effects, that's the least I can say :-)
>
> Michael.

Has anyone checked whether using /opt instead of /usr/local resolves the issue? At least this is the sort of resolution of the package managers fink and macports.