[Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

[Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Bo Berglund
I was using Lazarus to create a console application for parsing out
data from a network speed test program.

When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
on the task bar to bring it all back up.
There are a whole bunch of buttons on the tsak bar all havingf the
Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
IDE avisible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.

Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?
Compare to Delphi7 where there is a single minimize to use to get rid
of all Delphi windows and a single Delphi task bnar button to restore
*all* buttons.....

Maybe there is a setting somewhere to handle this? If so please tell
me where it is.

ik

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

ik
Please see answer inline.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 22:08, Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was using Lazarus to create a console application for parsing out
data from a network speed test program.

When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
on the task bar to bring it all back up.
There are a whole bunch of buttons on the tsak bar all havingf the
Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
IDE avisible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.

Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?
Compare to Delphi7 where there is a single minimize to use to get rid
of all Delphi windows and a single Delphi task bnar button to restore
*all* buttons.....

You can tell Lazarus to display one button only in the Lazarus IDE options.
The default are multi windows, but you can change it for single button.

You can also use docking manager that you can install and make Lazarus support docking.

Maybe there is a setting somewhere to handle this? If so please tell
me where it is.

Ido
LINESIP - Opening the source for communication
http://www.linesip.com
http://www.linesip.co.il

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:29:15 +0300, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Please see answer inline.
>

>On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 22:08, Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was using Lazarus to create a console application for parsing out
>> data from a network speed test program.
>>
>> When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
>> then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
>> to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
>> on the task bar to bring it all back up.
>> There are a whole bunch of buttons on the tsak bar all havingf the
>> Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
>> IDE avisible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.
>>
>> Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?
>> Compare to Delphi7 where there is a single minimize to use to get rid
>> of all Delphi windows and a single Delphi task bnar button to restore
>> *all* buttons.....
>>

>You can tell Lazarus to display one button only in the Lazarus IDE options.
>The default are multi windows, but you can change it for single button.

Could you tell me exactly which config window/setting it is?
I cannot find anything when I look...

>You can also use docking manager that you can install and make Lazarus
>support docking.

I don't want to use docked windows....
It is like Visual Studio, right?

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Flávio Etrusco
>> (...)
>> When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
>> then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
>> to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
>> on the task bar to bring it all back up.
>> There are a whole bunch of buttons on the task bar all having the
>> Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
>> IDE visible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.
>>
>> Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?

These are the default behaviors of the platforms. Unfortunately
there's no Window Manager for Linux/X that can automatically group
windows of a process :-(

>> Compare to Delphi7 where there is a single minimize to use to get rid
>> of all Delphi windows and a single Delphi task bar button to restore
>> *all* buttons.....
>
> You can tell Lazarus to display one button only in the Lazarus IDE options.
> The default are multi windows, but you can change it for single button.

This is currently your best shot (other than the dock, maybe), it's a
hack that we implemented in Lazarus. Unfortunately it doesn't work
perfectly, some windows are not hidden/restored correctly. Also,
re-activating the application without minimizing doesn't restore
windows (none but the main one).

> You can also use docking manager that you can install and make Lazarus support docking.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Docking

Best regards,
Flávio

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

zeljko
On Sunday 10 of April 2011 21:08:30 Bo Berglund wrote:
> Maybe there is a setting somewhere to handle this? If so please tell
> me where it is.

Tools->Options->Environment->Window-> [x] Show single button in TaskBar

zeljko

ik

2011/4/11 Flávio Etrusco <[hidden email]>
>> (...)
>> When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
>> then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
>> to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
>> on the task bar to bring it all back up.
>> There are a whole bunch of buttons on the task bar all having the
>> Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
>> IDE visible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.
>>
>> Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?

These are the default behaviors of the platforms. Unfortunately
there's no Window Manager for Linux/X that can automatically group
windows of a process :-(

Sure you have. I have it on my KDE (that I do not use it, but it's there), and I'm sure others also have it.

>> Compare to Delphi7 where there is a single minimize to use to get rid
>> of all Delphi windows and a single Delphi task bar button to restore
>> *all* buttons.....
>
> You can tell Lazarus to display one button only in the Lazarus IDE options.
> The default are multi windows, but you can change it for single button.

This is currently your best shot (other than the dock, maybe), it's a
hack that we implemented in Lazarus. Unfortunately it doesn't work
perfectly, some windows are not hidden/restored correctly. Also,
re-activating the application without minimizing doesn't restore
windows (none but the main one).

> You can also use docking manager that you can install and make Lazarus support docking.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Docking

Best regards,
Flávio

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Hans-Peter Diettrich
Flávio Etrusco schrieb:

>>> There are a whole bunch of buttons on the task bar all having the
>>> Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
>>> IDE visible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.
>>>
>>> Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?
>
> These are the default behaviors of the platforms. Unfortunately
> there's no Window Manager for Linux/X that can automatically group
> windows of a process :-(

I've provided a solution long ago, that hides all but the main form when
the application is minimized. On restore the hidden forms have to be
made visible again, that's all. The current IDE fails to leave
intenionally minimized windows minimized, when the main form is
restored. There exists no reason why anything but the form visibility
has to be changed, in order to hide forms from the taskbar.

See examples/dockmanager/ide_demo...

BTW, the minimize/restore part is independent from docking.

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Flávio Etrusco
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> These are the default behaviors of the platforms. Unfortunately
>> there's no Window Manager for Linux/X that can automatically group
>> windows of a process :-(
>
> I've provided a solution long ago, that hides all but the main form when
> the application is minimized. On restore the hidden forms have to be
> made visible again, that's all. The current IDE fails to leave
> intenionally minimized windows minimized, when the main form is
> restored. There exists no reason why anything but the form visibility
> has to be changed, in order to hide forms from the taskbar.
>
> See examples/dockmanager/ide_demo...
>
> BTW, the minimize/restore part is independent from docking.
>
> DoDi

Sure, I saw it years ago. And yes, it's mainly a political problem,
not a technical one.

-Flávio

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:13:31 +0200, zeljko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sunday 10 of April 2011 21:08:30 Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Maybe there is a setting somewhere to handle this? If so please tell
>> me where it is.
>
>Tools->Options->Environment->Window-> [x] Show single button in TaskBar

THere are no Options under Tools...
I have found this:
Environment->Options->Environment->Window
Here I have the following checkboxes:
[]Minimize all on minimize main (checked and disabled)
[]Hide IDE windows on run
[]Hide Messages icons
Then there is a panel dealing with window positions only.

Can't see the one you suggest.

The Lazarus Help/About box shows:
Version #:0.9.28.2-8ubuntu1 b (possibly more but hidden beneath the
tabbed dialogue to the right)
FPC is version 2.4.0
SVN rev is 22277

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Martin Frb
On 12/04/2011 21:34, Bo Berglund wrote:

>> Tools->Options->Environment->Window->  [x] Show single button in TaskBar
> THere are no Options under Tools...
> I have found this:
> Environment->Options->Environment->Window
> Here I have the following checkboxes:
> []Minimize all on minimize main (checked and disabled)
> []Hide IDE windows on run
> []Hide Messages icons
> Then there is a panel dealing with window positions only.
>
> Can't see the one you suggest.
>
> The Lazarus Help/About box shows:
> Version #:0.9.28.2-8ubuntu1 b (possibly more but hidden beneath the

right dialog, and tab.

But the feature you look for only exists since 0.9.30

Re: [Lazarus] How to minimize/restore lazarus (Ubuntu)?

Malcolm Poole
On 12/04/11 15:22, ik wrote:
2011/4/11 Flávio Etrusco <[hidden email]>
>> (...)
>> When doing this I had to look at files from the test application and
>> then code back and forth. But it was very annoying that it seems not
>> to be possible to minimize Lazarus and then clicking the Lazarus icon
>> on the task bar to bring it all back up.
>> There are a whole bunch of buttons on the task bar all having the
>> Lazarus icon and when I click them I only get a single window of the
>> IDE visible each time. So I have to click them in turn one by one.
>>
>> Why is this so (at least in Ubuntu 10)?

These are the default behaviors of the platforms. Unfortunately
there's no Window Manager for Linux/X that can automatically group
windows of a process :-(

Sure you have. I have it on my KDE (that I do not use it, but it's there), and I'm sure others also have it.
On Mandriva 2010.2 using KDE, if i minimize the principal Lazarus IDE menu window, all the other windows are minimized too. If I then restore the main window, all the other windows are also restored.

I didn't do anything to set this up - it seems to be the default on this system and version (Lazarus SVN 27340)