[Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I would like to add a video player to my Lazarus program (currently on
Windows using Laz 2.0.0).

I have browsed through the article "Displaying video files using Free
Pascal and Lazarus", which I found here:
https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/lazvlc/lazvlc.pdf

Other web references also quote this document.

Problem is that it states:
Lazarus users can install thelazvlcpackage.

But I can not find where one can obtain this package...

Any ideas?

Note:
I am currently programming this application on Windopws 7 X64 and I
have installed both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Lazarus 2.0.0.

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

On Tue, 7 May 2019, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> I would like to add a video player to my Lazarus program (currently on
> Windows using Laz 2.0.0).
>
> I have browsed through the article "Displaying video files using Free
> Pascal and Lazarus", which I found here:
> https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/lazvlc/lazvlc.pdf
>
> Other web references also quote this document.
>
> Problem is that it states:
> Lazarus users can install thelazvlcpackage.
>
> But I can not find where one can obtain this package...

It's available in the lazarus installation:

lazarus/components/vlc/lazvlc.lpk

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 7 May 2019 09:41:39 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Lazarus users can install the lazvlc package.
>>
>> But I can not find where one can obtain this package...
>
>It's available in the lazarus installation:
>
>lazarus/components/vlc/lazvlc.lpk

Or rather I found it here:

Package/Install_Uninstall_Packages/Available_for_Installation

I actuially entered lazvlc into the search box and it appeared as
version 1.0.
So from there I installed and rebuilt the IDE...

Now I have to get it working too, but youre document should help here.

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 07 May 2019 12:15:35 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, 7 May 2019 09:41:39 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
>lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Lazarus users can install the lazvlc package.
>>>
>>> But I can not find where one can obtain this package...
>>
>>It's available in the lazarus installation:
>>
>>lazarus/components/vlc/lazvlc.lpk
>>

>Or rather I found it here:
>
>Package/Install_Uninstall_Packages/Available_for_Installation
>
>I actuially entered lazvlc into the search box and it appeared as
>version 1.0.
>So from there I installed and rebuilt the IDE...
>
>Now I have to get it working too, but youre document should help here.

Unfortunately (for me) the lazvlc package is not graphical so I cannot
use it in RAD fashion...
But I found another package PasLibVlc that does what I need:
https://prog.olsztyn.pl/paslibvlc/

There is also a blog article describing how to get going:
http://lazplanet.blogspot.com/2018/01/how-to-make-simple-video-player-in.html

This made it possible for me to create my videoplayer and it works OK
for the level of functionality described in the blog.

I have run into difficulties trying to implement incremental position
move buttons in the player, though.
Described on the Lazarus forum here:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=45343.new#new

On Thu, 9 May 2019, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Tue, 07 May 2019 12:15:35 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It's available in the lazarus installation:
>>>
>>> lazarus/components/vlc/lazvlc.lpk
>>>

>> Or rather I found it here:
>>
>> Package/Install_Uninstall_Packages/Available_for_Installation
>>
>> I actuially entered lazvlc into the search box and it appeared as
>> version 1.0.
>> So from there I installed and rebuilt the IDE...
>>
>> Now I have to get it working too, but youre document should help here.
>
> Unfortunately (for me) the lazvlc package is not graphical so I cannot
> use it in RAD fashion...

What do you mean by this ?
It's a component you can drop on a form, and on which you can set properties.
Is this not RAD ?

What is missing to make it usable for you ?

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:57:53 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Unfortunately (for me) the lazvlc package is not graphical so I cannot
>> use it in RAD fashion...
>
>What do you mean by this ?
>It's a component you can drop on a form, and on which you can set properties.
>Is this not RAD ?
>
>What is missing to make it usable for you ?

What I mean is: when I drop the TLCLVLCPlayer component on my form I
get a small VLC icon rather than a video viewer panel. It is similart
to dropping a non-visual component like a TOpenDialog on the form....

With the alternative I found (also operating through VLC) I get a
video screen item I can drag the size of and position RAD-fashion on
the form.

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Thu, 9 May 2019, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:57:53 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt via
> lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately (for me) the lazvlc package is not graphical so I cannot
>>> use it in RAD fashion...
>>
>> What do you mean by this ?
>> It's a component you can drop on a form, and on which you can set properties.
>> Is this not RAD ?
>>
>> What is missing to make it usable for you ?
>>

> What I mean is: when I drop the TLCLVLCPlayer component on my form I
> get a small VLC icon rather than a video viewer panel. It is similart
> to dropping a non-visual component like a TOpenDialog on the form....

Yes.
You must indicate a control (for example a panel) in which the video will be shown.
(ParentWindow property)

> With the alternative I found (also operating through VLC) I get a
> video screen item I can drag the size of and position RAD-fashion on
> the form.

Indeed. But you can shape the indicated control in any way you want.

But creating a TCustomPanel descendent that embeds the player should not be
difficult...

Re: [Lazarus] How to install lazvlc?

On Thu, 09 May 2019 08:30:12 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>This made it possible for me to create my videoplayer and it works OK
>for the level of functionality described in the blog.
>
>I have run into difficulties trying to implement incremental position
>move buttons in the player, though.
>Described on the Lazarus forum here:
>https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=45343.new#new

Just to close this thread:
I made a mistake in my code (!) where I assumed times into the video
was in seconds where PasLibVlc actually uses ms. So my steps were 1000
times too small to be visible...

Now working as I need.