[Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

[Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi all,

I have no experience at all on deploying Lazarus app for Windows,
because up to now I have always addressed to Linux platform. The few
Windows

Now I need to deploy an application for Windows, which requires not only
the executable, but also some auxiliary files. It would be nice to put
everything in a subfolder of the Programs folder, and maybe to touch
also something in the Window registry.

I have no idea of where to start from, in order to create a setup.exe
which will take advantage of the Windows installer.

Thanks in advance,

Giuliano

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

On 28.04.2017 0:46, Giuliano Colla via Lazarus wrote:
> I have no idea of where to start from, in order to create a setup.exe
> which will take advantage of the Windows installer.

Try InnoSetup. AFAIK Lazarus IDE setup is built with it as well.

Ondrej

El 27/04/17 a las 19:46, Giuliano Colla via Lazarus escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> I have no experience at all on deploying Lazarus app for Windows,
> because up to now I have always addressed to Linux platform. The few
> Windows
>
> Now I need to deploy an application for Windows, which requires not
> only the executable, but also some auxiliary files. It would be nice
> to put everything in a subfolder of the Programs folder, and maybe to
> touch also something in the Window registry.
>
> I have no idea of where to start from, in order to create a setup.exe
> which will take advantage of the Windows installer.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Giuliano

I remember using these:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Leonardo M. Ramé
Medical IT - Griensu S.A.
Av. Colón 636 - Piso 8 Of. A
X5000EPT -- Córdoba
Tel.: +54(351)4246924 +54(351)4247788 +54(351)4247979 int. 19
Cel.: +54 9 (011) 40871877

Il 28/04/2017 00:55, Leonardo M. Ramé via Lazarus ha scritto:

> I remember using these:
>
> http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Many thanks to you and to Ondrej.

Giuliano

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

Dear Giuliano:

When I finisf the design phase, I copy the executable and the auxiliary files in other folder: "executable".

Then I compress in a winrar, and in a self-extracting winrar. When deploy, I instruct the user to create/open the new folder "executable", copy the self-extracting and execute.

Yours
Ing. Héctor Fiandor Rosario

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

>> I remember using these:
>>
>> http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
>> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

If you need installer in Microsoft Installation Package format (*.msi)
then you can look at WiX toolset: http://wixtoolset.org and WixEdit:
http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/
-Laco.

Il 28/04/2017 07:11, LacaK via Lazarus ha scritto:
> If you need installer in Microsoft Installation Package format (*.msi)
> then you can look at WiX toolset: http://wixtoolset.org and WixEdit:
> http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/
> -Laco.

Thanks again to everybody. I'll investigate what is more suitable for my
case.

Giuliano

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

innosetup has scrips in Pascal that allows  some special features

Inviato tramite il client di Posta WPS
Il Giuliano Colla via Lazarus <[hidden email]>, 28/apr/2017 06:22 PM ha scritto:

Il 28/04/2017 07:11, LacaK via Lazarus ha scritto:
> If you need installer in Microsoft Installation Package format (*.msi)
> then you can look at WiX toolset: http://wixtoolset.org and WixEdit:
> http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/
> -Laco.

Thanks again to everybody. I'll investigate what is more suitable for my
case.

Giuliano

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hello all.

I to use InnoSetup with Inno Script Studio
https://www.kymoto.org/products/inno-script-studio/screenshots

Best.

innosetup has scrips in Pascal that allows  some special features

Inviato tramite il client di Posta WPS
Il Giuliano Colla via Lazarus <[hidden email]>, 28/apr/2017 06:22 PM ha scritto:

Il 28/04/2017 07:11, LacaK via Lazarus ha scritto:
> If you need installer in Microsoft Installation Package format (*.msi)
> then you can look at WiX toolset: http://wixtoolset.org and WixEdit:
> http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/
> -Laco.

Thanks again to everybody. I'll investigate what is more suitable for my
case.

Giuliano

Re: [Lazarus] How to deploy a Lazarus app for Windows?

+1

IMHO, WIX is the best way to create Windows installer packages. It has
the great advantage of using XML scripts to define the installation
package. This allows you to put them under proper change control and
makes it easy to copy and edit the script for each new application
rather than start from scratch. The WIX toolset also runs under wine and
with a FPC cross-compiler, it is possible to build both a Windows
executable and the installer package under Linux. I have some
applications that I deploy under both Windows and Linux and all the
builds are performed from a single bash script under Linux. You can also
use 7-zip to create a self-installer package from the .msi.

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:00:14AM +0100, Tony Whyman via Lazarus wrote:

> +1
>
> IMHO, WIX is the best way to create Windows installer packages. It has the
> great advantage of using XML scripts to define the installation package.
> This allows you to put them under proper change control and makes it easy to
> copy and edit the script for each new application rather than start from
> scratch. The WIX toolset also runs under wine and with a FPC cross-compiler,
> it is possible to build both a Windows executable and the installer package
> under Linux. I have some applications that I deploy under both Windows and
> Linux and all the builds are performed from a single bash script under
> Linux. You can also use 7-zip to create a self-installer package from the
> .msi.

WiX also makes installing drivers painless.  It fits nicely into the
Makefile paradigm, so plays well with the rest of our build system, too.

Henry