[Lazarus] Help for your applications

Richard Mace

Hi,
When writing help files and documentation for your apps, what are peoples preferences?

Richard

Re: [Lazarus] Help for your applications

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2015-07-03 21:34, Richard Mace wrote:
> When writing help files and documentation for your apps, what are peoples
> preferences?

Simply for authoring help or the actual help viewer and help format
shipped with the application?

Authoring:
  I use EditPad Pro. I has brilliant template, file navigation and
  customisable syntax highlighter.

Help viewer and format:
  Docview help file viewer with the INF help file format.

Even though Docview was written primarily for fpGUI based projects, it
works equally well as a eBook type application or integration with LCL
based applications.

Attached is a fully working LCL application with DocView+INF
incorporated. For the full discussion, see the Lazarus Forum post.

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,27864.msg173887.html#msg173887

Docview screenshots:
  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/screenshots_apps.shtml

Docview pre-compiled binaries:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpgui/files/fpGUI/1.4/

Regards,
  - Graeme -

help_using_docview.tar.gz (5K) Download Attachment

On 2015-07-03 22:56, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Authoring:
>   I use EditPad Pro. I has brilliant template, file navigation and
>   customisable syntax highlighter.

I use that because IPF (the source used to make binary INF help files)
is plain text with a very short and simple syntax.

For HLP or CHM I can recommend a product called HelpScribble
[http://www.helpscribble.com/]. The interface looks complex, but it is
in fact very easy to use.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Help for your applications

K. P.
I used to be a fan of CHM because of the single file concept, but now use HTML help (http://wiki.freepascal.org/Add_Help_to_Your_Application) because it very easy to pimp up plus every machine (no need to worry about the OS platform) has a web browser installed - no need to install viewers. Plus, if I ever wanted my applications to point at help hosted on my server(s), it would not take much since it's already in the required format!

I use "Help & Manual" and generate both help and PDF docs in one go from the same source - am extremely happy with it. I haven't tried any other competing products, though...

Kai

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 21:34:36 +0100
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Lazarus] Help for your applications

Hi,
When writing help files and documentation for your apps, what are peoples preferences?

Richard

Re: [Lazarus] Help for your applications

Marc Santhoff
On Fr, 2015-07-03 at 21:34 +0100, Richard Mace wrote:
> Hi,
> When writing help files and documentation for your apps, what are peoples
> preferences?

I like PasDoc, because it works like JavaDoc:

http://pasdoc.sipsolutions.net/

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>

On 2015-07-04 10:21, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> I like PasDoc, because it works like JavaDoc:

The original author wasn't clear about exactly what he wants. It might
be worth adding that PasDoc (like fpdoc) is meant for API Class (source
code) documentation , not for general application help.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Help for your applications

leledumbo
Administrator
> When writing help files and documentation for your apps, what are peoples preferences?

I use LaTeX / Markdown for my every non-code writings, including help files & documentation.