[Lazarus] Help! Lazarus compile fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi folks,

I've been stuck for a long time to lazarus 1.8 in order to maintain
installed applications. Now, before starting a new development I tried
to upgrade to 2.0.8 but lazarus rebuild to install my custom packages
fails. Platform is Linux, OS is CentOs 6.

The error reported after the usual warning "did you forget -T" is:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: /home/colla/.lazarus/bin/link.res contains output
sections; did you forget -T?
/usr/bin/ld: BFD version 2.20.51.0.2-5.48.el6_10.1 20100205 internal
error, aborting at reloc.c line 443 in bfd_get_reloc_size

/usr/bin/ld: Please report this bug.

Is it because the ld of my distro is too old and I should upgrade it, or
there is some other reason I fail to see?

Any help is welcome!

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.

Re: [Lazarus] Help! Lazarus compile fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 7 May 2020 09:39:20 +0200, Giuliano Colla via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've been stuck for a long time to lazarus 1.8 in order to maintain
>installed applications. Now, before starting a new development I tried
>to upgrade to 2.0.8 but lazarus rebuild to install my custom packages
>fails. Platform is Linux, OS is CentOs 6.

I would not "upgrade" an installation, rather I would install a new
version along side of the existing one.
And I always install fpc/lazarus inside of the home dir instead of
using a global installation.
So at the moment I have fpc 3.0.4 plus lazarus 2.0.2, 2.0.4, 2.0.6 and
2.0.8 all available from the Mate menu (mate desktop under Ubuntu
18.04 LTS).

You can definitely also have lazarus 1.8.x too if you want.
All sources are available via subversion.

Il 07/05/2020 13:55, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:
> I would not "upgrade" an installation, rather I would install a new
> version along side of the existing one.
> And I always install fpc/lazarus inside of the home dir instead of
> using a global installation.

I just gave a quick information. I do exactly the same as you, and I
still have all my versions around. But whatever I do,I succeed
installing  Lazarus, but I fail rebuilding it. I'm afraid my environment
has become too old, but I'd been glad to learn that is not the case, and
there's a simpler way, than switching to CentOs 7 or something.

Giuliano

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.

Re: [Lazarus] Help! Lazarus compile fails.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 8 May 2020 12:05:47 +0200, Giuliano Colla via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Il 07/05/2020 13:55, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:
>> I would not "upgrade" an installation, rather I would install a new
>> version along side of the existing one.
>> And I always install fpc/lazarus inside of the home dir instead of
>> using a global installation.
>
>I just gave a quick information. I do exactly the same as you, and I
>still have all my versions around. But whatever I do,I succeed
>installing  Lazarus, but I fail rebuilding it. I'm afraid my environment
>has become too old, but I'd been glad to learn that is not the case, and
>there's a simpler way, than switching to CentOs 7 or something.

Just to clarify:
I assume you have one config dir for *each* Lazarus version in your
home? Like this:

~ $ ll | grep .laza
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Nov  2  2019 .lazarus_2.0.2
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Nov 24 00:33 .lazarus_2.0.4
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 Feb  5 18:24 .lazarus_2.0.6
drwxr-xr-x  4 pi   pi     4096 May  2 08:11 .lazarus_2.0.8

I made once a "shortcut" when installing a new Lazarus version by
copying an earlier config dir into the new name and then starting
Lazarus.
But Lazarus discovered that it was using an older config and offered
to update it, so it seemed to work OK.

However, there were still settings lingering that pointed back to the
old config dir, for example the packages downloaded via online package
manager were there but the config pointed to the previous
directory....
Caused a lot of confusion until I understood how it worked.

The reason I did the copy was that I wanted my IDE settings to migrate
to the new Lazarus so I don't have to tediously customize the IDE
etc...

So whatever you do, do *not* copy the entire config dir to a new name
and use it with the new Lazarus!!!
Instead create a new *empty* dir to use instead and if needed copy the
editoroptions.xml file and perhaps some other settings file you use
after you have run Lazarus the first time with this pcp target.

Il 08/05/2020 15:17, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:

So whatever you do, do *not* copy the entire config dir to a new name
and use it with the new Lazarus!!!
Instead create a new *empty* dir to use instead and if needed copy the
editoroptions.xml file and perhaps some other settings file you use
after you have run Lazarus the first time with this pcp target.
Thank you for the hint. Actually I did reuse and old path, and I didn't take care to erase everything, just to avoid to reconfigure mi custom settings. In the past it did work, but perhaps the jump was too big! Maybe that's the reason of my problem. I'll try that.

Giuliano
--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.