[Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

[Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Another oddity in the IDE designer.

I have a form which contains some group boxes, radio buttons and a buttonpanel.
Bordertstyle is bsDialog. No special properties regarding autosize or
whatsoever have been set.

When I switch (using F12) between source and form, it *always* resizes to
some seemingly standard size and I need to fix the size.

The form just contains the following:
   Height = 279
   Top = 218
   Width = 443
   BorderStyle = bsDialog
   Caption = 'Resize Selected elements'
   ClientHeight = 279
   ClientWidth = 443
   Position = poOwnerFormCenter
   LCLVersion = '1.9.0.0'

I have attached it for reference.

I suspect the scaling and high-dpi is at work here: I have a dual-monitor system, with xinerama.
To test that hypothesis, I tried to set scaled to false, but it doesn't help.

Also:
When the form designer is active, and I press save, the form is marked 'dirty'
(i.e. not saved!)

Anything I can do to help to diagnose the issue ?

frm.zip (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 05/07/2017 12:02 PM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another oddity in the IDE designer.
>
> I have a form which contains some group boxes, radio buttons and a
> buttonpanel.
> Bordertstyle is bsDialog. No special properties regarding autosize or
> whatsoever have been set.
>
> When I switch (using F12) between source and form, it *always* resizes to
> some seemingly standard size and I need to fix the size.
>
> The form just contains the following:
>   Height = 279
>   Top = 218
>   Width = 443
>   BorderStyle = bsDialog
>   Caption = 'Resize Selected elements'
>   ClientHeight = 279
>   ClientWidth = 443
>   Position = poOwnerFormCenter
>   LCLVersion = '1.9.0.0'
>
> I have attached it for reference.
>
> I suspect the scaling and high-dpi is at work here: I have a
> dual-monitor system, with xinerama.
> To test that hypothesis, I tried to set scaled to false, but it doesn't
> help.
>
> Also: When the form designer is active, and I press save, the form is
> marked 'dirty'
> (i.e. not saved!)
>
> Anything I can do to help to diagnose the issue ?

If you suspect on HiDPI then you should disable scaling at application
level (lazaruside) via Application.Scaled := False (or similar prop
name) . In that case TCustomForm.Scaled should not be taken into account
in any case.
Second thing: I assume that you're using Gtk2 ide. What is windowmanager
? Does it run compositing ?

zeljko

On Sun, 7 May 2017, zeljko wrote:

> On 05/07/2017 12:02 PM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Another oddity in the IDE designer.
>>
>> I have a form which contains some group boxes, radio buttons and a
>> buttonpanel.
>> Bordertstyle is bsDialog. No special properties regarding autosize or
>> whatsoever have been set.
>>
>> When I switch (using F12) between source and form, it *always* resizes to
>> some seemingly standard size and I need to fix the size.
>>
>> The form just contains the following:
>>   Height = 279
>>   Top = 218
>>   Width = 443
>>   BorderStyle = bsDialog
>>   Caption = 'Resize Selected elements'
>>   ClientHeight = 279
>>   ClientWidth = 443
>>   Position = poOwnerFormCenter
>>   LCLVersion = '1.9.0.0'
>>
>> I have attached it for reference.
>>
>> I suspect the scaling and high-dpi is at work here: I have a
>> dual-monitor system, with xinerama.
>> To test that hypothesis, I tried to set scaled to false, but it doesn't
>> help.
>>
>> Also: When the form designer is active, and I press save, the form is
>> marked 'dirty'
>> (i.e. not saved!)
>>
>> Anything I can do to help to diagnose the issue ?
>
> If you suspect on HiDPI then you should disable scaling at application level
> (lazaruside) via Application.Scaled := False (or similar prop name) . In that
> case TCustomForm.Scaled should not be taken into account in any case.

Is there a command-line option for the IDE to disable this ?
It seems silly to me that I would have to modify the IDE sources every time I do
a SVN update?

> Second thing: I assume that you're using Gtk2 ide. What is windowmanager ?
> Does it run compositing ?

I don't know. I use a standard Linux Mint using Cinnamon desktop.

On 05/07/2017 02:24 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sun, 7 May 2017, zeljko wrote:
>
>> On 05/07/2017 12:02 PM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Another oddity in the IDE designer.
>>>
>>> I have a form which contains some group boxes, radio buttons and a
>>> buttonpanel.
>>> Bordertstyle is bsDialog. No special properties regarding autosize or
>>> whatsoever have been set.
>>>
>>> When I switch (using F12) between source and form, it *always*
>>> resizes to
>>> some seemingly standard size and I need to fix the size.
>>>
>>> The form just contains the following:
>>>   Height = 279
>>>   Top = 218
>>>   Width = 443
>>>   BorderStyle = bsDialog
>>>   Caption = 'Resize Selected elements'
>>>   ClientHeight = 279
>>>   ClientWidth = 443
>>>   Position = poOwnerFormCenter
>>>   LCLVersion = '1.9.0.0'
>>>
>>> I have attached it for reference.
>>>
>>> I suspect the scaling and high-dpi is at work here: I have a
>>> dual-monitor system, with xinerama.
>>> To test that hypothesis, I tried to set scaled to false, but it doesn't
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Also: When the form designer is active, and I press save, the form is
>>> marked 'dirty'
>>> (i.e. not saved!)
>>>
>>> Anything I can do to help to diagnose the issue ?
>>
>> If you suspect on HiDPI then you should disable scaling at application
>> level (lazaruside) via Application.Scaled := False (or similar prop
>> name) . In that case TCustomForm.Scaled should not be taken into
>> account in any case.
>
> Is there a command-line option for the IDE to disable this ? It seems
> silly to me that I would have to modify the IDE sources every time I do
> a SVN update?

AFAIK not.

>> Second thing: I assume that you're using Gtk2 ide. What is
>> windowmanager ? Does it run compositing ?
>
> I don't know. I use a standard Linux Mint using Cinnamon desktop.

Then compositing is on, and that's probably cause of problems.

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Sun, 7 May 2017, zeljko wrote:

>>> If you suspect on HiDPI then you should disable scaling at application
>>> level (lazaruside) via Application.Scaled := False (or similar prop
>>> name) . In that case TCustomForm.Scaled should not be taken into
>>> account in any case.
>>
>> Is there a command-line option for the IDE to disable this ? It seems
>> silly to me that I would have to modify the IDE sources every time I do
>> a SVN update?
>
> AFAIK not.
>

>>> Second thing: I assume that you're using Gtk2 ide. What is
>>> windowmanager ? Does it run compositing ?
>>
>> I don't know. I use a standard Linux Mint using Cinnamon desktop.
>
> Then compositing is on, and that's probably cause of problems.

Can you explain why this would cause problems ?

Because I see many more straneg things happening.

At runtime my StatusBar disappears for some mysterious reason.
I need to resize the form and then it appears again.
And it doesn't matter whether I allow scaling or not.

On 05/07/2017 06:24 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>>> Is there a command-line option for the IDE to disable this ? It seems
>>> silly to me that I would have to modify the IDE sources every time I do
>>> a SVN update?
>>
>> AFAIK not.

>>> I don't know. I use a standard Linux Mint using Cinnamon desktop.
>>
>> Then compositing is on, and that's probably cause of problems.
>
> Can you explain why this would cause problems ?

Don't know, tried to fix that inside gtk2 many times, besides that on
some wm's + compositing sizes are ok, on some not. Really don't know.
Using qtlcl for work and don't have such problems. See gtk2wsforms.pp
and stuff about form events ...

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I (and others co-workers) have experienced the same behavior on Linux mint cinnamon 17.3 when Lazarus is built using gtk2 (using Lazarus 1.4, 1.6, fixes and trunk). This strange behavior disappeared when Lazarus is built with QT.

The cinnamon looking glass can provide some debug information about this. I'll try reproduce this tomorrow, to collect the cinnamon debug info.

Em 7 de mai de 2017 14:40, "zeljko via Lazarus" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I (and others co-workers) have experienced the same behavior on Linux mint
> cinnamon 17.3 when Lazarus is built using gtk2 (using Lazarus 1.4, 1.6,
> fixes and trunk).

I have seen similar reports but no common cause was found.
Now it starts to look like a Cinnamon related issue. Somebody should
debug it there.

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It does sound kind of similar to what i demo in the video here:

https://webmshare.com/q78rb

On Mon, 8 May 2017, Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus wrote:

> Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It does
> sound kind of similar to what i demo in the video here:
>
> https://webmshare.com/q78rb

It certainly looks like it.

Michael.

Em 8 de mai de 2017 04:43, "Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

On Mon, 8 May 2017, Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus wrote:

Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It does
sound kind of similar to what i demo in the video here:

https://webmshare.com/q78rb

It certainly looks like it.

Maybe, but on Mint cinnamon, one time that the form is resized to default size, it's not resized anymore.

On Mon, 8 May 2017, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus wrote:

> Em 8 de mai de 2017 04:43, "Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus" <
> [hidden email]> escreveu:
>

> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus wrote:
>
> Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It does
>> sound kind of similar to what i demo in the video here:
>>
>> https://webmshare.com/q78rb
>>

> It certainly looks like it.
>

> Maybe, but on Mint cinnamon, one time that the form is resized to default
> size, it's not resized anymore.

I have been experimenting, and the 'default' size depends on what controls
are present in the form and what their sizes are.
So that definitely smells of the lazarus LCL layouting algorithms...

On 08.05.2017 12:08, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> Em 8 de mai de 2017 04:43, "Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus" <
>> [hidden email]> escreveu:
>>

>> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It
>> does
>>> sound kind of similar to what i demo in the video here:
>>>
>>> https://webmshare.com/q78rb
>>>

>> It certainly looks like it.
>>

>> Maybe, but on Mint cinnamon, one time that the form is resized to default
>> size, it's not resized anymore.
>
> I have been experimenting, and the 'default' size depends on what controls
> are present in the form and what their sizes are. So that definitely
> smells of the lazarus LCL layouting algorithms...

Probably gtk2 sends some garbled size messages. I cannot reproduce such
thing with qtlcl (tried under windowmaker too, as it is mentioned in link)

zeljko

On Mon, 8 May 2017, zeljko wrote:

> On 08.05.2017 12:08, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>>> Em 8 de mai de 2017 04:43, "Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus" <
>>> [hidden email]> escreveu:
>>>

>>> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe it is also related to the problem i mentioned a few days ago? It
>>> does

>>> It certainly looks like it.
>>>

>>> Maybe, but on Mint cinnamon, one time that the form is resized to default
>>> size, it's not resized anymore.
>>
>> I have been experimenting, and the 'default' size depends on what controls
>> are present in the form and what their sizes are. So that definitely
>> smells of the lazarus LCL layouting algorithms...
>
> Probably gtk2 sends some garbled size messages. I cannot reproduce such thing
> with qtlcl (tried under windowmaker too, as it is mentioned in link)

How can I investigate this ?
Where can/should I put some writelns to see what is happening ?

I don't mind helping out, but I need some pointers where to start.

On 08.05.2017 15:51, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> How can I investigate this ? Where can/should I put some writelns to see
> what is happening ?
>
> I don't mind helping out, but I need some pointers where to start.

Gtk2WSForms.pp , line 168 see my comment about it. Seem that it's your
problem (my comment is about Mint16 WM + compositing).
Can you see if your wm name fits into
   if (Copy(Gtk2WidgetSet.GetWindowManager,1,6) = 'mutter') then ...
Just put writeln('WM=',Gtk2WidgetSet.GetWindowManager) above that statement.

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Mon, 8 May 2017, zeljko wrote:

> On 08.05.2017 15:51, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>

>> How can I investigate this ? Where can/should I put some writelns to see
>> what is happening ?
>>
>> I don't mind helping out, but I need some pointers where to start.
>
> Gtk2WSForms.pp , line 168 see my comment about it. Seem that it's your
> problem (my comment is about Mint16 WM + compositing).
> Can you see if your wm name fits into
>  if (Copy(Gtk2WidgetSet.GetWindowManager,1,6) = 'mutter') then ...
> Just put writeln('WM=',Gtk2WidgetSet.GetWindowManager) above that statement.

I did that. I added a print of the GDK geometry.

gdk geometry : 10,33,320,240
Warning: GDK_CONFIGURE: Designed form is misconfigured because of bad compositing manager (see issue #25473).
Warning: GDK_CONFIGURE: Fixing problem by setting current LCL values l=655,t=220,r=1152,b=461
WM=mutter (muffin)
gdk geometry : 10,33,320,240

At the following point I clicked the TLAbel button on the component palette,
and the form was again resized to something 'too small':

WM=mutter (muffin)
gdk geometry : 10,33,497,241
AddComponent TLabel Parent=ReportPropertiesForm:TReportPropertiesForm 38,140,0,0
Parent is 'ReportPropertiesForm:TReportPropertiesForm'
TObjectInspectorDlg.FillPersistentComboBox: Updating ComboBox with components
WM=mutter (muffin)
gdk geometry : 10,33,320,241
WM=mutter (muffin)
gdk geometry : 10,33,320,240

The X,Y are of course completely bogus.

After this, I disabled compositing in Mint, and the situation is slightly
better. Now the window doesn't resize so much any more, but it still
resizes.

So the "if Gtk2WidgetSet.compositeManagerRunning then" can be removed in fact.

Anything else I can do ? (except dumping linux mint, obviously...)

On 16.05.2017 20:44, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> Anything else I can do ? (except dumping linux mint, obviously...)

Maybe this is an option for you until it gets properly fixed: you could
build the IDE for Qt. (You can still develop your own applications for
Gtk2 even if the IDE is built for Qt.)

Ondrej

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:

> On 16.05.2017 20:44, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>> Anything else I can do ? (except dumping linux mint, obviously...)
>
> Maybe this is an option for you until it gets properly fixed: you could
> build the IDE for Qt. (You can still develop your own applications for
> Gtk2 even if the IDE is built for Qt.)

I think that is a bad tactical move. It's better to keep nagging if you want
things to get fixed sooner than later ;)

What I don't get is:

Why don't other programs in linux mint seem to have problems with this ?
Surely, if the situation is that bad, then things would have been fixed a
long time ago, no ?

On 16.05.2017 21:08, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> Surely, if the situation is that bad, then things would have been fixed a
> long time ago, no ?

IIRC people complained about Gtk2 resizing their windows under some
window managers for several years. If I am not mistaken nobody really
tried to fix it.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Form resize to standard size in IDE.

On 16.05.2017 21:08, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:

> What I don't get is:
>
> Why don't other programs in linux mint seem to have problems with this ?
> Surely, if the situation is that bad, then things would have been fixed a
> long time ago, no ?

Just because other gtk2 programs on linux are mostly C (or whatever, but
they aren't lcl based), and such programs use gtk2 "as is", without
tricks to get gtk2 delphi (lcl) compatibile in case of events and order
of events.

zeljko