[Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML

[Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML

Peter Williams
Hi All,

I have been working on a project from Delphi 3 from Ann Lynnworth which is Delphi form to html conversion tool.

It was written for Ann's company and she has kindly offered it to the Lazarus community under this licence (originally commercial I believe):

> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

> Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.

1) I have made some progress with the code but I am stuck on how to install it as a registered component. Help please. I believe that the code exists for adding in it Delphi 3 (in this project)... it is just a matter of me using it in Lazarus.

2) We need to set up a repository for this project with TortoiseSVN and Windows on my system. I have the code and I would like to be the point of contact for alll changes to it.

All help will be appreciated. I will post the code when I know how to set up a repository.

I have more changes to make, but they will wait until I get some answers.

Best Regards,
Peter E. Williams
Hobart, Australia

> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 05:58:54 +0000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML
>
> [resending; original sent 30-Dec-2010]
> Hi Peter,
>
> I cleaned up the source, removing unnecessary IFDEFs and making the
> copyright comments consistent. F2H has now been released under Creative
> Commons Share-Alike license, the very brief and very clear terms of
> which are here:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>
> Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.
>
> When you have it working with Lazarus, I would be interested to see your
> version and compare. I don't know whether we can keep the source in
> sync between the Lazarus subversion repository and ours, but it's worth
> a try if the changes are minimal.
>
> I'm attaching our standard "hrefdefines.inc" file which has all the
> DEFINEs that we use. I think only Delphi6Up is used in F2H, and
> probably Lazarus has another way of saying the same thing. So it is
> mostly for your reference.
>
> I'm not offering to pay you anything for any modifications you may or
> may not make. I am waiving the $99 source code fee that was effective
> until yesterday. You are of course welcome to make an online payment to
> HREF Tools at some future point, at your sole discretion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ann

Re: [Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML

Sven Barth
Am 23.02.2011 16:06, schrieb Peter Williams:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been working on a project from Delphi 3 from Ann Lynnworth which
> is Delphi form to html conversion tool.
>
> It was written for Ann's company and she has kindly offered it to the
> Lazarus community under this licence (originally commercial I believe):
>
>  > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>  >
>  > Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.
>
> 1) I have made some progress with the code but I am stuck on how to
> install it as a registered component. Help please. I believe that the
> code exists for adding in it Delphi 3 (in this project)... it is just a
> matter of me using it in Lazarus.

If that component is released as CreateCommons now, where can I find the
(original) source of it? I've looked at the href.com page and haven't
found it yet...

As I weren't yet able to look at the code I'll have to guess regarding
your problem:
You need to put the component into a Lazarus package (create a new
package and add all units to it). Then you need to mark all units that
contain a Register procedure as such (at the bottom of the package are
two check boxes, one of them is for units with "register" procedures).
Then you need to install this package into the IDE (of course you need
to recompile the IDE then).

> 2) We need to set up a repository for this project with TortoiseSVN and
> Windows on my system. I have the code and I would like to be the point
> of contact for alll changes to it.

If it is indeed released as CreativeCommons, what about adding it to the
Lazarus Code and Component Repository on SourceForge?

> All help will be appreciated. I will post the code when I know how to
> set up a repository.
>
> I have more changes to make, but they will wait until I get some answers.

Re: [Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML

Peter Williams
Hi Sven,

> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:52:14 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of TwhForm2HTML
>
> Am 23.02.2011 16:06, schrieb Peter Williams:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have been working on a project from Delphi 3 from Ann Lynnworth which
> > is Delphi form to html conversion tool.
> >
> > It was written for Ann's company and she has kindly offered it to the
> > Lazarus community under this licence (originally commercial I believe):
> >
> > > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
> > >
> > > Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.
> >
> > 1) I have made some progress with the code but I am stuck on how to
> > install it as a registered component. Help please. I believe that the
> > code exists for adding in it Delphi 3 (in this project)... it is just a
> > matter of me using it in Lazarus.
> >

> If that component is released as CreateCommons now, where can I find the
> (original) source of it? I've looked at the href.com page and haven't
> found it yet...
At the moment there exists only 2 copies of the source code: (1) Ann Lynneworth has the original code with her company; and (2) I have a slightly later copy which I have been working on.

The original code is copyright to Ann's company and sold for US$99 and was only available by purchasing the software. The new Lazarus version will be under the CreativeCommons licence.

I have found some documented procedures for detecting and calling the default web browser which I want to add to the software (probably) before releasing it.

> As I weren't yet able to look at the code I'll have to guess regarding
> your problem:
> You need to put the component into a Lazarus package (create a new
> package and add all units to it). Then you need to mark all units that
> contain a Register procedure as such (at the bottom of the package are
> two check boxes, one of them is for units with "register" procedures).
> Then you need to install this package into the IDE (of course you need
> to recompile the IDE then).

Yes, that's basically what I needed to know. I will need to check as there *may* already be some Delphi 3 code which does this in the component. I expect that there should be.

I am not the original author of it. I am however, the second author to work on this code, on Ann's behalf.

> > 2) We need to set up a repository for this project with TortoiseSVN and
> > Windows on my system. I have the code and I would like to be the point
> > of contact for alll changes to it.
> >

> If it is indeed released as CreativeCommons, what about adding it to the
> Lazarus Code and Component Repository on SourceForge?

What is the procedure for doing this?

Ann has nominated CreativeCommons as the licence which is *will* be released under, however, it needs to be finished before it should be released, in my opinion.

I refer to the change I mentioned above re checking for default browser (so as to make it fully cross-platform). This code is document on the Lazarus website, so it should not be a big deal once I can work out *where* the code needs to be amended/inserted.

> > All help will be appreciated. I will post the code when I know how to
> > set up a repository.
> >
> > I have more changes to make, but they will wait until I get some answers.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

Best Regards,
pew

Am 24.02.2011 10:23, schrieb Peter Williams:

> Hi Sven,
>
>  > Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:52:14 +0100
>  > From: [hidden email]
>  > To: [hidden email]
>  > Subject: Re: [Lazarus] FW: *** ECN: Lazarus or Delphi 5 version of
> TwhForm2HTML
>  >
>  > Am 23.02.2011 16:06, schrieb Peter Williams:
>  > > Hi All,
>  > >
>  > > I have been working on a project from Delphi 3 from Ann Lynnworth which
>  > > is Delphi form to html conversion tool.
>  > >
>  > > It was written for Ann's company and she has kindly offered it to the
>  > > Lazarus community under this licence (originally commercial I believe):
>  > >
>  > > > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>  > > >
>  > > > Payment is by donation, at the discretion of any developer.
>  > >
>  > > 1) I have made some progress with the code but I am stuck on how to
>  > > install it as a registered component. Help please. I believe that the
>  > > code exists for adding in it Delphi 3 (in this project)... it is just a
>  > > matter of me using it in Lazarus.
>  > >
>  >
>  > If that component is released as CreateCommons now, where can I find the
>  > (original) source of it? I've looked at the href.com page and haven't
>  > found it yet...
>  >
>
> At the moment there exists only 2 copies of the source code: (1) Ann
> Lynneworth has the original code with her company; and (2) I have a
> slightly later copy which I have been working on.
>
> The original code is copyright to Ann's company and sold for US$99 and
> was only available by purchasing the software. The new Lazarus version
> will be under the CreativeCommons licence.

Ok, now I understand ^^

> I have found some documented procedures for detecting and calling the
> default web browser which I want to add to the software (probably)
> before releasing it.
>
>  > As I weren't yet able to look at the code I'll have to guess regarding
>  > your problem:
>  > You need to put the component into a Lazarus package (create a new
>  > package and add all units to it). Then you need to mark all units that
>  > contain a Register procedure as such (at the bottom of the package are
>  > two check boxes, one of them is for units with "register" procedures).
>  > Then you need to install this package into the IDE (of course you need
>  > to recompile the IDE then).
>
> Yes, that's basically what I needed to know. I will need to check as
> there *may* already be some Delphi 3 code which does this in the
> component. I expect that there should be.

Delphi only uses a procedure called Register without the need to check
it anywhere. But for registration in the IDE to work you need to have
the unit in a DesignTime package (this is valid for Lazarus as well). In
Lazarus you also must tell which units contain a "Register" procedure,
because Lazarus does not detect that by itself.

> I am not the original author of it. I am however, the second author to
> work on this code, on Ann's behalf.
>
>  >
>  > > 2) We need to set up a repository for this project with TortoiseSVN and
>  > > Windows on my system. I have the code and I would like to be the point
>  > > of contact for alll changes to it.
>  > >
>  >
>  > If it is indeed released as CreativeCommons, what about adding it to the
>  > Lazarus Code and Component Repository on SourceForge?
>
> What is the procedure for doing this?

You should ask one of the Lazarus devs, e.g. Vincent Snijders.