[Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

[Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

vfclists .

I am trying out Lazarus 0.9.30 and on trying to install a component package I get this error during the installation phase after the package has been compiled.

 componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView used by ObjectInspector

The aforementioned file is sitting blissfully in C:\lazarus930\ideintf.

Is it a known issue, or could it have something to do with the package i am trying to compile: KGridLaz from www.tkweb.eu?

--
Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:30:11 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying out Lazarus 0.9.30 and on trying to install a component package
> I get this error during the installation phase after the package has been
> compiled.
>
>  componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView used
> by ObjectInspector
>
> The aforementioned file is sitting blissfully in C:\lazarus930\ideintf.
>
> Is it a known issue, or could it have something to do with the package i am
> trying to compile: KGridLaz from www.tkweb.eu?

Has the package the dependency IDEIntf?

On 27 March 2011 15:38, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:30:11 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying out Lazarus 0.9.30 and on trying to install a component package
> I get this error during the installation phase after the package has been
> compiled.
>
>  componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView used
> by ObjectInspector
>
> The aforementioned file is sitting blissfully in C:\lazarus930\ideintf.
>
> Is it a known issue, or could it have something to do with the package i am
> trying to compile: KGridLaz from www.tkweb.eu?

Has the package the dependency IDEIntf?

Its dependencies are DBFLaz, Printer4Lazarus, LCL(>-1.0)

Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:39:55 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 March 2011 15:38, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:30:11 +0100
> > Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying out Lazarus 0.9.30 and on trying to install a component
> > package
> > > I get this error during the installation phase after the package has been
> > > compiled.
> > >
> > >  componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView
> > used
> > > by ObjectInspector
> > >
> > > The aforementioned file is sitting blissfully in C:\lazarus930\ideintf.
> > >
> > > Is it a known issue, or could it have something to do with the package i
> > am
> > > trying to compile: KGridLaz from www.tkweb.eu?
> >
> > Has the package the dependency IDEIntf?
> >

> Its dependencies are DBFLaz, Printer4Lazarus, LCL(>-1.0)

What is the search path "Other source files" of the package?

On 27 March 2011 15:53, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:39:55 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 March 2011 15:38, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:30:11 +0100
> > Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying out Lazarus 0.9.30 and on trying to install a component
> > package
> > > I get this error during the installation phase after the package has been
> > > compiled.
> > >
> > >  componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView
> > used
> > > by ObjectInspector
> > >
> > > The aforementioned file is sitting blissfully in C:\lazarus930\ideintf.
> > >
> > > Is it a known issue, or could it have something to do with the package i
> > am
> > > trying to compile: KGridLaz from www.tkweb.eu?
> >
> > Has the package the dependency IDEIntf?
> >

> Its dependencies are DBFLaz, Printer4Lazarus, LCL(>-1.0)

What is the search path "Other source files" of the package?

Other  Sources is blank

Other Unit Files is ..\..\source

I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.

componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:37:06 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 March 2011 15:53, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:39:55 +0100
> > Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > been

> > ComponentTreeView

> > C:\lazarus930\ideintf.

> > package i

> > > Its dependencies are DBFLaz, Printer4Lazarus, LCL(>-1.0)
> >
> > What is the search path "Other source files" of the package?
> >

> Other  Sources is blank
>
> Other Unit Files is ..\..\source

Good.

> I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.
>
> componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Do you mean <lazaruspath>\ideintf\units\i386 ?

On 27 March 2011 16:43, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:37:06 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 March 2011 15:53, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:39:55 +0100
> > Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > been

> > ComponentTreeView

> > C:\lazarus930\ideintf.

> > package i

> > > Its dependencies are DBFLaz, Printer4Lazarus, LCL(>-1.0)
> >
> > What is the search path "Other source files" of the package?
> >

> Other  Sources is blank
>
> Other Unit Files is ..\..\source

Good.

> I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.
>
> componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Do you mean <lazaruspath>\ideintf\units\i386 ?

Yes

Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:18:43 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > > I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.

Do you know about the include file clashes of Indy?
This creates such errors.

> > > componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Compile with -vut to find out which include file conflicts and rename
it.

On 27 March 2011 18:37, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:18:43 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > > I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.

Do you know about the include file clashes of Indy?
This creates such errors.

The problem appeared before I added Indy to the system.
> > > componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Compile with -vut to find out which include file conflicts and rename
it.

I guess that would be ticking -vu and -vt in the Verbosity options
Can the -vut be set for Environment itself?
The problem appears to lie in the package itself, it appears to be in the environment.

In my last problem involving Indy, http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2011-March/061679.html, I had to check the files in the -pcp directory and remove all references to directories outside the Lazarus installation. I had quite a few and the directories had gotten mixed up. It appears that when I copied projects from the old installations to the new ones, the directories linked with projects got copied to the -pcp folders in the new installation and caused the problems with Indy and some other packages. This appears to happen even if you just open project related to the old installations.

I suspect that if you are not careful about how you set the search options in packages or projects, some of their directories will get copied to your main installations settings, even though the come from a different component tree.

I have searched the -pcp folder for directories related to the pre-existing installations but haven't found any.

I will try your suggestion to see.

Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:21:13 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 March 2011 18:37, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:18:43 +0100
> > Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >[...]
> >
> > Do you know about the include file clashes of Indy?
> > This creates such errors.
> >

> The problem appeared before I added Indy to the system.
>
> >  > > > componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory
> >
> > Compile with -vut to find out which include file conflicts and rename
> > it.
> >

> I guess that would be ticking -vu and -vt in the Verbosity options
> Can the -vut be set for Environment itself?

Yes, in your fpc.cfg, but then you get a lot of output, so only activate
this when you have such a problem.

> The problem appears to lie in the package itself, it appears to be in the
> environment.
>
> In my last problem involving Indy,
> http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2011-March/061679.html,
> I had to check the files in the -pcp directory and remove all references to
> directories outside the Lazarus installation. I had quite a few and the
> directories had gotten mixed up. It appears that when I copied projects from
> the old installations to the new ones, the directories linked with projects
> got copied to the -pcp folders in the new installation and caused the
> problems with Indy and some other packages. This appears to happen even if
> you just open project related to the old installations.

I can't follow you here. What do you mean with directories got copied?
The IDE does not copy directories. But when you set wrong
paths the compiler will create duplicate ppu files.

> I suspect that if you are not careful about how you set the search options
> in packages or projects, some of their directories will get copied to your
> main installations settings, even though the come from a different component
> tree.

Well, yes, you can do havoc with search paths.
The wiki lists more than 20 ways how to mess up your system
leading to the "unit not found" error.
I already added some tools for some cases and I plan an expert system
to find misconfigurations in search paths.

> I have searched the -pcp folder for directories related to the pre-existing
> installations but haven't found any.
>
> I will try your suggestion to see.

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

vfclists .

On 27 March 2011 18:37, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:18:43 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > > I also tried to install Indy and the same error comes up.

Do you know about the include file clashes of Indy?
This creates such errors.

> > > componenttreeview.ppu is present in the units\i386 directory

Compile with -vut to find out which include file conflicts and rename
it.

Mattias

After following your suggestion it appears that the packages are added twice to staticpackages.inc.

kgrid uses printer4lazarus and dbflaz, and they appear twice in the staticpackages.inc. I opened the file and realized that they are duplicated.

I went into the IDE and removed them ie uninstalled them, yet when it comes to building the IDE again they are duplicated yet again in staticpackages.inc.

The IDE appears to be generating the error that staticpackages.inc cannot be found, when it appears that the error is a duplicate file name error.

Another thing I want to ask - is the -pcp directory the normal location for staticpackages.inc? I thought it would be in the installation directory.

staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "PRINTER4LAZARUS"
staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "printer4lazarus"
staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "DBFLAZ"
staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "dbflaz"
componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView used by ObjectInspector

Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Error during Lazarus rebuilding 0.9.30

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:48:09 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> After following your suggestion it appears that the packages are added twice
> to staticpackages.inc.
>
> kgrid uses printer4lazarus and dbflaz, and they appear twice in the
> staticpackages.inc. I opened the file and realized that they are duplicated.

Darn.
What Lazarus version do you use exactly?

> I went into the IDE and removed them ie uninstalled them, yet when it comes
> to building the IDE again they are duplicated yet again in
> staticpackages.inc.
>
> The IDE appears to be generating the error that staticpackages.inc cannot be
> found, when it appears that the error is a duplicate file name error.
>
> Another thing I want to ask - is the -pcp directory the normal location for
> staticpackages.inc? I thought it would be in the installation directory.

No, the user can compile a new IDE with his own set of installed
packages.

> staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "PRINTER4LAZARUS"
> staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "printer4lazarus"
> staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "DBFLAZ"
> staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "dbflaz"

Hmm, seems like somewhere a package name is not compared case
insensitive.

On 28 March 2011 12:56, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:48:09 +0100
Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> After following your suggestion it appears that the packages are added twice
> to staticpackages.inc.
>
> kgrid uses printer4lazarus and dbflaz, and they appear twice in the
> staticpackages.inc. I opened the file and realized that they are duplicated.

Darn.
What Lazarus version do you use exactly?

It is the new 0.9.30 available at sourceforge

Version #: 0.9.30
Date: 2011-03-08
FPC Version: 2.4.2
SVN Revision: 29749
i386-win32-2in32/win64

> I went into the IDE and removed them ie uninstalled them, yet when it comes
> to building the IDE again they are duplicated yet again in
> staticpackages.inc.
>
> The IDE appears to be generating the error that staticpackages.inc cannot be
> found, when it appears that the error is a duplicate file name error.
>
> Another thing I want to ask - is the -pcp directory the normal location for
> staticpackages.inc? I thought it would be in the installation directory.

No, the user can compile a new IDE with his own set of installed
packages.

> staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "PRINTER4LAZARUS"
> staticpackages.inc(4,16) Error: Duplicate identifier "printer4lazarus"
> staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "DBFLAZ"
> staticpackages.inc(8,7) Error: Duplicate identifier "dbflaz"

Hmm, seems like somewhere a package name is not compared case
insensitive.

I have succeeded by following these steps.

I removed printer4lazarus and dbflaz from the package list and saved it. Then I closed the IDE and reopened it. Doing a build all from that state worked with Kgrid installing successfully.
I have also been able to install the Indy package after that without any problems.

Thanks for the help. I think the tool you are developing will come in very useful. It can't arrive too soon.

> componenttreeview.pas(44,18) Fatal: Can't find unit ComponentTreeView used
> by ObjectInspector

Frank Church