[Lazarus] Desktops - some features overengineered (?)

[Lazarus] Desktops - some features overengineered (?)

Ondrej Pokorny
I'd like to discuss the Desktops feature. In particular the fact that
some settings are stored within the desktop and not IDE-wide. That means
that changing desktops means also changing some of the settings.

For now I have these IDE options in mind:

"Environment -> Window"
"Environment -> IDE coolbar"
"Environment -> Editor toolbar"
"Environment -> Component Palette"
"Environment -> AnchorDocking"

I personally use 4 different destops (external monitor vs laptop monitor
AND editing vs debuging - which makes 4 combinations). I use different
IDE coolbar settings for edit and debug desktop.

Does anybody take advantage of the fact that these settings are
different for every desktop? Or did I overengineer the feature? For me
it looks like the users are only confused (like Graeme in the "IDE
Docking windows and Editor Toolbar" thread).

Honestly, I can live without different IDE coolbars for edit & debug
destops although I use them now.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Desktops - some features overengineered (?)

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2016-09-21 13:46, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> I personally use 4 different destops (external monitor vs laptop monitor
> AND editing vs debuging - which makes 4 combinations). I use different
> IDE coolbar settings for edit and debug desktop.

Nice idea - now all I need to do is figure out how VirtualBox guests
could take advantage of my multi-monitor host system.

I've just set up a "debugging" desktop, which will come in pretty handy.

As for over-engineering. True, I did get confused, but then I didn't
even know Lazarus IDE had multiple desktop layout support. If I knew
that, then things would probably have made a bit more sense.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Desktops - some features overengineered (?)

Balázs Székely
>>Does anybody take advantage of the fact that these settings are
different for every desktop?
Yes.
>>Or did I overengineer the feature?
No.

>>For me it looks like the users are only confused.
What is confusing the Restore Windows Geometry feature(Options-->Environment-->Window). Which one is gonna have the upper hand? More over, when you install anchordocking the "Default Desktop" is unusable. Other then this is a nice feature.

Re: [Lazarus] Desktops - some features overengineered (?)

leledumbo
Administrator
> Does anybody take advantage of the fact that these settings are
different for every desktop?

Yes

> Or did I overengineer the feature?

No

> For me it looks like the users are only confused (like Graeme in the "IDE
> Docking windows and Editor Toolbar" thread)

they just need explanation, this feature is surprising for those who aren't quite involved in the development. One wouldn't expect it at first glance.