[Lazarus] Demo for Computer Camp on Monday

[Lazarus] Demo for Computer Camp on Monday

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Some of you might have been following a few of my recent posts and know that I have been tutoring kids on the subject of computer programming. Iv'e been using Lazarus as an introduction with some kids, but on Monday I am going to put on a little presentation for a group at summer camp to spur their interest in our mini computer camp sessions.

I wanted to ask you, the Lazarus community, what existing open source Lazarus projects would be good example to engage kids between the ages of 8 and 14? I am looking for some existing projects that have a simple code base, yet do something unusual or fun that might interest kids.

Examples might include (written in Free Pascal and easily compiled):

A nyan cat and song with animation and rainbows.
A painting program that can lay out many different shapes rapidly with many colors.
A visually impressive version of a board game like Scrabble or Sorry.
Any animated fractal rendering program, especially one where the program allows you to create your own fractals.
A simple 2D physics program with features you can control.
Any type of complex interactive visual effects (and runs on low end hardware).

Or any other program that is free open source and might be interesting to show briefly to a group of kids.

The only requirements would be that these are free open source demo, do not require many extra pascal packages, and can run on low end hardware (Core2 Duo 4GB RAM).

Thank you and I'll let everyone know how many kids sign up for out mini coding camp and the end of next week.

Re: [Lazarus] Demo for Computer Camp on Monday

Blaise pascal magazine has a simple pacman game demo, written in lazarus.
It's a one-unit program, just the main form.

I think I still have the sources somewhere. It's definitely open source.

Michael.