[Lazarus] Debugging Lazarus using Lazarus

[Lazarus] Debugging Lazarus using Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
When multiple copies of the same version (e.g. trunk) Lazarus are being
run, with a view to stepping through a problem in IDE-related code, is
there any way to force an override so that all windows associated with
the "inner" copy are marked distinctively with e.g. an implausible
background colour, a thin diagonal line overlaying the content, or at
the very least an instance identifier in every caption?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Debugging Lazarus using Lazarus

On 07/07/2018 11:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:
> When multiple copies of the same version (e.g. trunk) Lazarus are
> being run, with a view to stepping through a problem in IDE-related
> code, is there any way to force an override so that all windows
> associated with the "inner" copy are marked distinctively with e.g. an
> implausible background colour, a thin diagonal line overlaying the
> content, or at the very least an instance identifier in every caption?

In menu Run > Run Parameter, specify --primary-config-path=/somefolder

- Then on first run, go into options > editor > colors, and change
whatever color you like. (e.g. background or gutter). well ok that is
only the editor windows. It will not affect breakpoints, etc....
- The main IDE bar has/has not the word "debugging" in it.
- You can also have a different projects open. As the last open project
will be re-open, and that is stored in primary conf. With that, the
debugged IDE will not open the stack and watches window (unless you want
it to).

On 07/07/18 10:45, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:

> On 07/07/2018 11:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:> When multiple
> copies of the same version (e.g. trunk) Lazarus are > being run, with a
> view to stepping through a problem in IDE-related > code, is there any
> way to force an override so that all windows > associated with the
> "inner" copy are marked distinctively with e.g. an > implausible
> background colour, a thin diagonal line overlaying the > content, or at
> the very least an instance identifier in every caption?>In menu Run >
> Run Parameter, specify --primary-config-path=/somefolder
> - Then on first run, go into options > editor > colors, and change
> whatever color you like. (e.g. background or gutter). well ok that is
> only the editor windows. It will not affect breakpoints, etc....- The
> main IDE bar has/has not the word "debugging" in it.- You can also have
> a different projects open. As the last open project will be re-open, and
> that is stored in primary conf. With that, the debugged IDE will not
> open the stack and watches window (unless you want it to).

I've got /two/ main editor bars with "debugging" in them, two windws
called "Source Editor (2)" and so on :-)

I'd have thought that a comparatively easy way round this would have
been a global option to put the main-process PID on all form/dialogue
captions. That would have result in a useful distinction even when
multiple instances were using the same configuration files.

But I'm not volunteering to do it this weekend ;-)

On 07/07/2018 13:09, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:

> On 07/07/18 10:45, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:
>> On 07/07/2018 11:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus wrote:> When
>> multiple copies of the same version (e.g. trunk) Lazarus are > being
>> run, with a view to stepping through a problem in IDE-related > code,
>> is there any way to force an override so that all windows >
>> associated with the "inner" copy are marked distinctively with e.g.
>> an > implausible background colour, a thin diagonal line overlaying
>> the > content, or at the very least an instance identifier in every
>> caption?>In menu Run > Run Parameter, specify
>> --primary-config-path=/somefolder
>> - Then on first run, go into options > editor > colors, and change
>> whatever color you like. (e.g. background or gutter). well ok that is
>> only the editor windows. It will not affect breakpoints, etc....- The
>> main IDE bar has/has not the word "debugging" in it.- You can also
>> have a different projects open. As the last open project will be
>> re-open, and that is stored in primary conf. With that, the debugged
>> IDE will not open the stack and watches window (unless you want it to).
>
> I've got /two/ main editor bars with "debugging" in them, two windws
> called "Source Editor (2)" and so on :-)
But unless the inner IDE (the one being debugged) is itself debugging a
third IDE, you can use the current project name.

Tools > Options > Window: CheckBox "IDE title shows starts with project
name" (and related options)
In fact, I think the project name is always show (just usually at the end)

And with separate primary conf, the debugged IDE loads a project of your
choice
But if you need to have the IDE as 3rd debuggee, then modify/hide the
component palette.

> I'd have thought that a comparatively easy way round this would have
> been a global option to put the main-process PID on all form/dialogue
> captions. That would have result in a useful distinction even when
> multiple instances were using the same configuration files.
Do they need the same config?

But your idea with the PID, just hack TForm.SetCaption (or SetRealText)

On 07/07/2018 12:41, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:
> In menu Run > Run Parameter, specify --primary-config-path=/somefolder

Another big benefit: You can move the windows of the debugged IDE to a
different location, and that will be saved. So from then on, when you
start debugging the IDE, the windows will not overlap/clash with the
outer IDE.
(and the position also helps identifying which is which)

I am doing exactly this myself, right now.