[Lazarus] Dark theme suggestion

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Over on mantis I submitted a request to add a new dark theme for the Pascal Editor. Bellow are two screenshots, one is of the dark theme colors, and the other is of the default colors.

If you want to install the theme manually to test for yourself it requires a couple of steps.

1) Go to tools, options, display, colors
2) Hit the save button and create a new theme named dark.xml
3) Exit lazarus
3) Open you lazarus config userschemes folder
4) Overwrite dark.xml with this file
5) Restart lazarus, go to tools, options, display, colors, and choose darker from the drop down

The mantis request is here:

Also, since theme display colors dialog has a save to button feature, it might make sense to have an import button as well. This would eliminate the steps 2-5 as outlined above.

Re: [Lazarus] Dark theme suggestion

On 10/05/2019 12:53 pm, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> I submitted a request to add a new dark theme for the Pascal
> Editor.

I do love dark themes and have been using them for years. I especially
like the Solarized (light and dark) themes - very useful for someone
moving around with a laptop where light conditions change.

Now the BIG question:
   Do dark themes save on battery power?  ;-)

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Dark theme suggestion

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
It's doubtful that dark themes have any impact on battery life. To my knowledge unless you have an OLED display on your laptop, the light is generated by a flat panel with a uniform brightness. That is there is no local dimming. So in order to make any whites actually "white" the backlight needs to be a full brightness.

That said, if you have a dark theme everywhere you might want to turn down the entire screen brightness at the system level. That definitely will impact your battery life.

On 10/05/2019 13:53, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> Over on mantis I submitted a request to add a new dark theme for the
> Pascal Editor.

There is a great selection of other schemes, including dark ones:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/UserSuppliedSchemeSettings
This is also the way user supplied schemes are currently distributed.

The IDE already comes with several dark schemes build in. Further
schemes should use the above way.

If someone wants to supply a package that allows to distribute schemes
(and maybe other stuff) in an OPM like fashion, then that can be
discussed independently.

> If you want to install the theme manually to test for yourself it
> requires a couple of steps.
>
> 1) Go to tools, options, display, colors
> 2) Hit the save button and create a new theme named dark.xml
> 3) Exit lazarus
> 3) Open you lazarus config userschemes folder
> 4) Overwrite dark.xml with this file
> https://cache.getlazarus.org/themes/dark.xml
> 5) Restart lazarus, go to tools, options, display, colors, and choose
> darker from the drop down

You do NOT need to save a scheme first. Just create the userscheme
folder, and copy any scheme you like into it

Re: [Lazarus] Dark theme suggestion

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Okay thanks. I'll submit it to the wiki.