[Lazarus] Cross-compile on Windows for Linux Raspbian (Raspberry Pi) - what are the requirements?

[Lazarus] Cross-compile on Windows for Linux Raspbian (Raspberry Pi) - what are the requirements?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I have tried to develop my RPi4 application on the RPi4 itself but
have problems with Lazarus IDE crashing suddenly and inexplicably when
just using the IDE, losing all unsaved changes.

So I have now tried to find a way to develop on Windows 7 (my laptop)
and check build for Raspbian there, but not run. Then transfer sources
to RPi via subversion and build there for testing.

On Windows 7 Pro x64 I have the native Lazarus 2.0.4 and FPC 3.0.4
both of which are 64 bit. Installed via the official sourceforge
installers.
On RPi4 I build the environment entirely from svn sources.

Raspbian on the RPi4 is 32 bit so applications must be built in 32 bit
mode.

I use a few hardware dependent things on RPi4 (GPIO I/O) but I think
these are handled through files etc in Linux so it should not be a
showstopper to at least build on Windows.

Since I never ever created an environment for cross-compiling on
Lazarus I really need a simple to follow byt full description on how
to accomplish the task. Is it even possible for RPi?

I have read somewhere that you cannot really cross-compile from
Windows because of some quirks with floating point support.
I can live with having to use a virtual environment (Linux in a VMWare
virtual machine on Windows) as long as Lazarus does not crash on me
any longer and I can work in the VMWare console.

Currently I work on Lazarus on the RPi4 via VNC....

Any ideas (and links to working how-to pages) welcome!

Re: [Lazarus] Cross-compile on Windows for Linux Raspbian (Raspberry Pi) - what are the requirements?

Il 24/11/2019 10:08, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:

> Since I never ever created an environment for cross-compiling on
> Lazarus I really need a simple to follow byt full description on how
> to accomplish the task. Is it even possible for RPi?

I can't help you as far as Windows is concerned, because we learned from
experience to carefully avoid using Windows for any purpose other than
testing applications which must run under Windows. But I can provide our
experience with RPI3.

We installed Lazarus and fpc on Raspberry by using fpcupdeluxe. A few
troubles if not using the latest version of fpcup, but then everything
working just fine. We can develop natively; no lockups or whatever
annoyance.

We did set up a cross environment on Linux (again taking advantage of
fpcupdeluxe) and after a few struggling with the proper setting for the
specific ARM flavour, again no troubles.

But as it is an annoyance sending back and forth binaries, we ended up
with using a git repository in our server, thus sharing sources between
Linux and RPI, and compiling natively on Linux for preliminary testing,
and on RPI for final tests and production.

Hope that it helps.

Giuliano

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.