[Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
This dialog has one tabset -from PageControl, and another - from left
Listbox/Listview. Confusing. Better leave one Listbox.

Picture.

Alexey

dlg-tabs.png (75K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
+1

Better leave left Listbox.

Sandro

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Alexey via Lazarus wrote:

> This dialog has one tabset -from PageControl, and another - from left
> Listbox/Listview. Confusing. Better leave one Listbox.
>
> Picture.

Can you explain in more detail what is wrong with the dialog ?

I look at this picture, and I see absolutely nothing wrong or confusing about it ?

2017-04-23 10.25.10.png (85K) Download Attachment

On 2017-04-23 07:21, Alexey via Lazarus wrote:
> This dialog has one tabset -from PageControl, and another - from left
> Listbox/Listview. Confusing. Better leave one Listbox.

I kind-of see what you mean - duplicated information. The idea was
probably to have the "error state" available for all settings involved.
Obviously that can be resolved too. Simply remove the listbox and then
place error state icons in the tabs where applicable. So you will still
get an overview of what settings are wrong.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On 23 Apr 2017 10:30, "Graeme Geldenhuys
> Simply remove the listbox and then
> place error state icons in the tabs
> where applicable. So you will still get
> an overview of what settings are
> wrong.

-1

IMHO left ListBox is better because error states are visible even if tab is not selected. I would convert right tabs to frames or something similar.

Sandro

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Sandro Cumerlato via Lazarus wrote:

> If I have understand correctly, it is better to have only one list. I
> prefer the left Listbox.

Ah...

Why is it better ? I quite like the fact that there are 2 possibilities ?

Seems very much like a matter of taste to me.

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Sandro Cumerlato via Lazarus wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2017 10:30, "Graeme Geldenhuys
>> Simply remove the listbox and then
>> place error state icons in the tabs
>> where applicable. So you will still get
>> an overview of what settings are
>> wrong.
>
> -1
>
> IMHO left ListBox is better because error states are visible even if tab is
> not selected. I would convert right tabs to frames or something similar.

You can achieve the same with a status icon on the tabs.

*If* something needs to be removed, I would remove the listbox.
It only takes up a lot of space, and it's mostly empty.

On 2017-04-23 09:37, Sandro Cumerlato via Lazarus wrote:
> IMHO left ListBox is better because error states are visible even if tab is
> not selected.

That is why I said to place status icons in the tabs itself next to the
text "Compiler", "FPC Sources" etc. It will accomplish the same thing.

But then there is the matter of LCL inconsistency.... Does all LCL
widgetsets support icons in the tabs?

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

With Michael explanation it looks like the best solution.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Sandro

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

On 2017-04-23 09:49, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> *If* something needs to be removed, I would remove the listbox.
> It only takes up a lot of space, and it's mostly empty.

 +1

It is takes up a lot of space with not much or no benefit at all.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Sandro Cumerlato via Lazarus wrote:

> With Michael explanation it looks like the best solution.
>
> Sorry for my misunderstanding.

? No need to apologize.
All is clear in the end, that's what matters :)

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 10:49:02 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> *If* something needs to be removed, I would remove the listbox.
> It only takes up a lot of space, and it's mostly empty.

The idea was to add more checks/issues and some common choices, like
language and docked/undocked. Then the tabs will soon run
out of space.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 10:49:02 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> *If* something needs to be removed, I would remove the listbox.
>> It only takes up a lot of space, and it's mostly empty.
>
> The idea was to add more checks/issues and some common choices, like
> language and docked/undocked. Then the tabs will soon run
> out of space.

I like your use of "soon" :-)

Given that the dialog has not changed substantially in many years,
I think we can safely remove the listbox, still assuming that
something must be removed :)

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:13:43 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> I like your use of "soon" :-)
>
> Given that the dialog has not changed substantially in many years,
> I think we can safely remove the listbox, still assuming that
> something must be removed :)

It would be more "safe" to remove the tabs, as AFAIK not all widgetsets
support tab icons, other languages have wider captions and eventually
more items will be added.

Re: [Lazarus] Configure IDE dlg tab-set

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:13:43 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I like your use of "soon" :-)
>>
>> Given that the dialog has not changed substantially in many years,
>> I think we can safely remove the listbox, still assuming that
>> something must be removed :)
>
> It would be more "safe" to remove the tabs, as AFAIK not all widgetsets
> support tab icons, other languages have wider captions and eventually
> more items will be added.

I don't think the dialog needs to be changed to begin with,
but if general opinion is that it needs changing,
I don't have strong opinions on how it is changed, so "go ahead..."

Il 23/04/2017 12:14, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus ha scritto:

> I don't think the dialog needs to be changed to begin with,
+1

We have a summary on the left, and details on the right.

If you just need to check what has to be fixed you look to the list box,
while if you want to verify the proper Lazarus path, the selection of
the right compiler, the right sources etc. you use the right side tabs.