[Lazarus] Component-View Presets

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi All, I'm using Lazarus in a multi-screen setup and prefer the
Component-view form rather than using the menu-integrated top-palette to
pick components from.

In the Component-view there are 3 tabs: List, Palette and Inheritence -
All of them great for what they do.

My preference is to mainly use the Palette tab here, and then always
start from the "Collapsed" state. (I will open the section I wish to use
by clicking it - this is much faster than scrolling or typing in the
search bar).

Currently, every time i start Lazarus, I have to click the "Palette" Tab
to select it, then right-click the list and do "Collapse all". It's not
an insurmountable pain, but it is a pain in an otherwise flawless
environment.

Is there any way I could achieve that in a setting or such so that
Lazarus starts by showing the Palette tab and starts it with the
Collapsed state?

Thanks you kindly,
Ryan

Re: [Lazarus] Component-View Presets

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 13:59:34 +0200, "R.Smith via lazarus"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All, I'm using Lazarus in a multi-screen setup and prefer the
>Component-view form rather than using the menu-integrated top-palette to
>pick components from.
>
>In the Component-view there are 3 tabs: List, Palette and Inheritence -
>All of them great for what they do.
>
>My preference is to mainly use the Palette tab here, and then always
>start from the "Collapsed" state. (I will open the section I wish to use
>by clicking it - this is much faster than scrolling or typing in the
>search bar).
>
>Currently, every time i start Lazarus, I have to click the "Palette" Tab
>to select it, then right-click the list and do "Collapse all". It's not
>an insurmountable pain, but it is a pain in an otherwise flawless
>environment.
>
>Is there any way I could achieve that in a setting or such so that
>Lazarus starts by showing the Palette tab and starts it with the
>Collapsed state?

Is it not possible to set the palette in the wanted state and then
create a custom desktop with a new name.
Then if you use this desktop maybe the palette will appear in the
wanted state?
I cannot test this myself because I have crafted a custom desktop I
don't want to destroy and I don't have space on my screen either (it
is just 1920x1200 px).

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 1:59 PM R.Smith via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
..., but it is a pain in an otherwise flawless environment.

Lazarus project has over 2000 open bug reports, but yes it is almost flawless. :)

Is there any way I could achieve that in a setting or such so that
Lazarus starts by showing the Palette tab and starts it with the
Collapsed state?

The chosen tab, in this case Palette tab, should be persistent and stored in a configuration file.
It will be applied for sure if you implement it.

The Expanded/Collapsed state would require an option. Where to put it? The global options page for Component Palette is crowded. A new page for just 1 or 2 new options sounds like waste of space.
Any ideas?
If the Component-view window gets its own options, maybe the "Keep open" Checkbox should go there, too.

Re: [Lazarus] Component-View Presets

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In r64336 I made the selected tab (PageIndex) persistent.
I also added a test for define NoComponentListTreeExpand. Build Lazarus with it and the trees will not open as expanded. The define can be replaced with a proper option if you find a good place for it.
Please test.

Re: [Lazarus] Component-View Presets

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

Awesome - thanks.

Will get right on with testing and report back.