[Lazarus] Change of lfm files

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hello,
Let us suppose, I have changed a form inside tool/debugserver
I see what inside .lfm file a version of LCL changed  from 1.3 to 2.10
for example.

What is policy about LCL compatibility for patches?
Where can I read about this?

--
Andrey

Re: [Lazarus] Change of lfm files

On 26.01.2021 09:31, Andrey Sobol via lazarus wrote:
> Hello,
> Let us suppose, I have changed a form inside tool/debugserver
> I see what inside .lfm file a version of LCL changed  from 1.3 to 2.10
> for example.
>
> What is policy about LCL compatibility for patches?
> Where can I read about this?

We somehow internally agreed on forwards compatibility for 1 legacy version.

That means that LFM created in the latest stable Lazarus version should
open in the stable version prior to it.

For development it means that 2.0.10 should be able to open LFMs from trunk.

Backwards compatibility is obvious.

Ondrej

On 26.01.2021 10:02, Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus wrote:

> On 26.01.2021 09:31, Andrey Sobol via lazarus wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Let us suppose, I have changed a form inside tool/debugserver
>> I see what inside .lfm file a version of LCL changed  from 1.3 to
>> 2.10 for example.
>>
>> What is policy about LCL compatibility for patches?
>> Where can I read about this?
>
> We somehow internally agreed on forwards compatibility for 1 legacy
> version.
>
> That means that LFM created in the latest stable Lazarus version
> should open in the stable version prior to it.
>
> For development it means that 2.0.10 should be able to open LFMs from
> trunk.
>
> Backwards compatibility is obvious.

What I wrote is about component development and its streaming mechanism.

If you want to change forms and frames within Lazarus sources, do so
freely. There is no need for any compatibility across different versions.

Ondrej