[Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund
I have checked out lazarus_0_9_30_fixes branch today into a new folder
and successfully rebuilt lazarus using the release fpc 2.4.2 (on
windows).

Now inside Lazarus I need to register the SdpoSeriial package so I
open the sdposerial.laz package and clickcompile and it all works.
Then I click the Install button and now I am saked to rebuild lazarus,
which I accept.

But now I get another dialog saying:
"The package "CGILazIDE" is marked for installation, but can not be
found. Remove the dependency from the installation list of packages?"

What do I do now? Obviously I do not want to change Lazarus in any
other way than adding the SdpoSerial components.....

What causes this message to pop up in the first place?

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:16:58 +0100, Bo Berglund
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have checked out lazarus_0_9_30_fixes branch today into a new folder
>and successfully rebuilt lazarus using the release fpc 2.4.2 (on
>windows).
>
>Now inside Lazarus I need to register the SdpoSeriial package so I
>open the sdposerial.laz package and clickcompile and it all works.
>Then I click the Install button and now I am saked to rebuild lazarus,
>which I accept.
>
>But now I get another dialog saying:
>"The package "CGILazIDE" is marked for installation, but can not be
>found. Remove the dependency from the installation list of packages?"
>
>What do I do now? Obviously I do not want to change Lazarus in any
>other way than adding the SdpoSerial components.....
>
>What causes this message to pop up in the first place?

Forgot to say that I alos have the lazarus_0_9_29_fixes branch and
lazarus_trunk checked out (some time ago) and they both have the file
<lazarus dir>\packager\globallinks\cgilazide-0.lpl
But the new _0_9_30_fixes branch seems to not have this, why?

Can I safely accept to remove this?

(Because I have multiple lazarus versions I have redirected the user
settings to a config dir below each lazarus and every time I get a new
lazarus I copy this config dir as a starting point to the new lazarus
checkout)

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Andreas Schneider
 On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:16:58 +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have checked out lazarus_0_9_30_fixes branch today into a new
> folder
> and successfully rebuilt lazarus using the release fpc 2.4.2 (on
> windows).
>
> Now inside Lazarus I need to register the SdpoSeriial package so I
> open the sdposerial.laz package and clickcompile and it all works.
> Then I click the Install button and now I am saked to rebuild
> lazarus,
> which I accept.
>
> But now I get another dialog saying:
> "The package "CGILazIDE" is marked for installation, but can not be
> found. Remove the dependency from the installation list of packages?"
>
> What do I do now? Obviously I do not want to change Lazarus in any
> other way than adding the SdpoSerial components.....
>
> What causes this message to pop up in the first place?

 How did you rebuild Lazarus in the first place? I presume by using
 "make". In that case it didn't include the packages you selected some
 other time. Rebuilding from within the IDE however DOES include those
 packages. CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
 finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But now I get another dialog saying:
> "The package "CGILazIDE" is marked for installation, but can not be
> found. Remove the dependency from the installation list of packages?"

Just remove this package from your list of packages. It was obsolete
and was deleted.

You can do this in Package -> Install/Uninstall package, I think

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:27:22 +0100, Andreas Schneider <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How did you rebuild Lazarus in the first place? I presume by using
> "make".
- I checked out the branch to a new directory
- Then in this directory I executed these statements (in a batch
file):

set PATH=C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32
make.exe clean all

> In that case it didn't include the packages you selected some
> other time. Rebuilding from within the IDE however DOES include those
> packages.

Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....

> CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
> finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)

OK, but I don't even know what it is. I certainly did not install it
in the other version of lazarus....

Anyway, I stopped the process after answering yes to this and the
following similar dialogue and instead went to the rebuild of the
complete lazarus IDE and now I have done this and the 5dpo component
tab appears in the IDE, so I thought that all was done.
But not....
I cannot compile my test application, which uses sdposerial because:
formmain.pas(9,13) Fatal: Can't find unit SdpoSerial used by formmain

Why can it not find it this time? Some time ago I remember asking the
same question and then the solution was to open the package *once* in
the IDE and then it would be forever known where to find it. Now I
have actually *installed* it in the IDE, so should lazarus not know
where to find it then? Do I still need to open the package file in the
IDE????

Very confused....

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
> So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
> since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....

I usually do: make bigide

But it requires then that you install your extra packages again

> OK, but I don't even know what it is. I certainly did not install it
> in the other version of lazarus....

Unfortunatelly it was installed by default in older versions of Lazarus...

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 16:06 geschrieben:

>[..]
> Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
> So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
> since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....

You can compile Lazarus from scratch with "make".

> > CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
> > finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)
>
> OK, but I don't even know what it is.

Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?

> I certainly did not install it in the other version of lazarus....

> Anyway, I stopped the process after answering yes to this and the
> following similar dialogue and instead went to the rebuild of the
> complete lazarus IDE and now I have done this and the 5dpo component
> tab appears in the IDE, so I thought that all was done.
> But not....
> I cannot compile my test application, which uses sdposerial because:
> formmain.pas(9,13) Fatal: Can't find unit SdpoSerial used by formmain
>
> Why can it not find it this time?

Have you tried right click on the message and use "Search unit"?

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:30:08 +0100 (CET), Mattias Gaertner
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 16:06 geschrieben:
>
>>[..]
>> Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
>> So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
>> since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....
>You can compile Lazarus from scratch with "make".

If you had read the conversation where this comment was made you'd
have seen that:
1) I had used make clean all already
2) Andreas had stated that using make would not build the packages and
hence I should use the built-in compile instead, which of course is
not possible following an svn checkout...

>> > CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
>> > finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)
>>
>> OK, but I don't even know what it is.
>Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?

And this is also a rather odd comment since apparently this package
was installed by *default* in earlier versions of lazarus and has now
been removed from the sources (by the developers of lazarus) causing
the error meassage to appear.
Being a developer does not mean that one searches out each and every
item in an IDE and learns its use. I sure don't when I am just
evaluating lazarus and fpc as a development platform alternative to
Delphi...

>> Anyway, I stopped the process after answering yes to this and the
>> following similar dialogue and instead went to the rebuild of the
>> complete lazarus IDE and now I have done this and the 5dpo component
>> tab appears in the IDE, so I thought that all was done.
>> But not....
>> I cannot compile my test application, which uses sdposerial because:
>> formmain.pas(9,13) Fatal: Can't find unit SdpoSerial used by formmain
>>
>> Why can it not find it this time?
>Have you tried right click on the message and use "Search unit"?
No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
the path to the unit file that was missing.
But I still do not know if this is the right place. It will probably
only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the next.
I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Mattias Gaertner

Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 17:27 geschrieben:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:30:08 +0100 (CET), Mattias Gaertner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 16:06 geschrieben:
> >
> >>[..]
> >> Hmmpf... After checking out lazarus there is no IDE to run, right?
> >> So I cannot use any IDE dialog to specify a better way of compiling
> >> since as yet there is no lazarus.exe to start....
> >You can compile Lazarus from scratch with "make".
>
> If you had read the conversation where this comment was made you'd
> have seen that:
> 1) I had used make clean all already
> 2) Andreas had stated that using make would not build the packages and
> hence I should use the built-in compile instead, which of course is
> not possible following an svn checkout...

If you install from scratch you have to build level after level. First use 'make' to get the basic IDE/lazbuild then use that to build an extended IDE.

Because the last step can compile third party packages the Lazarus Team can not guarantee it will work, although in 99 of 100 cases it works, so that some people think the lazarus devels should enable it by default.

> >> OK, but I don't even know what it is.
> >Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?
>
> And this is also a rather odd comment since apparently this package
> was installed by *default* in earlier versions of lazarus and has now
> been removed from the sources (by the developers of lazarus) causing
> the error meassage to appear.

I think too, that it would have been better to keep a dummy package that gives an error messages on compile with a hint why the package was removed and a hint what to use instead. But it was the decision of the package maintainer and as always in open source: You can be glad that the package was not simply abandoned but rewritten from scratch and improved.

My note was meant constructive: What can the IDE do in a case, where there is no trace of a package left?

And it was meant as a question: It was not clear to me from your mail, if you have searched for the reason the package is needed and what you have done to solve the problem.

> Being a developer does not mean that one searches out each and every
> item in an IDE and learns its use. I sure don't when I am just
> evaluating lazarus and fpc as a development platform alternative to
> Delphi...

What about searching only the items you use?

>[...]
> >Have you tried right click on the message and use "Search unit"?
> >
> No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
> project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
> the path to the unit file that was missing.
> But I still do not know if this is the right place.

The documentation of these search paths might help here.

> It will probably only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the next.

That's why there are packages. Put shared units into packages. Then you need to change search paths only once.

> I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
> also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
> corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....

No, that would easily result in name clashes and unportable projects.
Of course tools like the above also searches outside the scope of the project. It does not yet search in all the packages on disk. That is on my todo list.

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Sven Barth
Am 31.01.2011 17:27, schrieb Bo Berglund:

>>> Anyway, I stopped the process after answering yes to this and the
>>> following similar dialogue and instead went to the rebuild of the
>>> complete lazarus IDE and now I have done this and the 5dpo component
>>> tab appears in the IDE, so I thought that all was done.
>>> But not....
>>> I cannot compile my test application, which uses sdposerial because:
>>> formmain.pas(9,13) Fatal: Can't find unit SdpoSerial used by formmain
>>>
>>> Why can it not find it this time?
>> Have you tried right click on the message and use "Search unit"?
>>
> No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
> project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
> the path to the unit file that was missing.
> But I still do not know if this is the right place. It will probably
> only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the next.
> I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
> also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
> corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....

While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a
possibilty I personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the
Project Inspector and click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and
search for your Sdpo package in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package
will appear as dependency in the Project Inspector besides LCL (and
maybe FCL).
You can now remove the path you added to
CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles again and then your application
should compile succesfully.

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:41:13 +0100, Sven Barth
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
>> project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
>> the path to the unit file that was missing.
>> But I still do not know if this is the right place. It will probably
>> only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the next.
>> I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
>> also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
>> corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....
>
>While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a
>possibilty I personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the
>Project Inspector and click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and
>search for your Sdpo package in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package
>will appear as dependency in the Project Inspector besides LCL (and
>maybe FCL).
>You can now remove the path you added to
>CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles again and then your application
>should compile succesfully.

OK, I tried this but apparently yours and my lazarus differ...
- Used menu Project/Project Inspector
- A window pops up with a button on top marked with +
- After clicking this a new window pops up with 3 tabs:
  "Add editor files"
  "New requirement"
  "Add files"
as you can see no tab named "Dependency" where I can do anything like
the suggested action.
However, the "New requirement" tab has a combobox with "Package name"
as its designator so I used that to select the SDpoSerialLaz package.

Then I also removed two Sdpo-related paths from the Project options
and made a quick compile. Working!

Thanks, this looks much cleaner.

On 31.01.2011 21:06, Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:41:13 +0100, Sven Barth
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>>> No, I did not know about such a shortcut. Instead I located the
>>> project options and in CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles I added
>>> the path to the unit file that was missing.
>>> But I still do not know if this is the right place. It will probably
>>> only affect this project so it has to be repeated for the next.
>>> I would have thought that adding a component to the IDE pallet would
>>> also make its location known to the IDE so it can find the file that
>>> corresponds to the dropped component when compiling....
>>
>> While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a
>> possibilty I personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the
>> Project Inspector and click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and
>> search for your Sdpo package in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package
>> will appear as dependency in the Project Inspector besides LCL (and
>> maybe FCL).
>> You can now remove the path you added to
>> CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles again and then your application
>> should compile succesfully.
>>

> OK, I tried this but apparently yours and my lazarus differ...
> - Used menu Project/Project Inspector
> - A window pops up with a button on top marked with +
> - After clicking this a new window pops up with 3 tabs:
>    "Add editor files"
>    "New requirement"
>    "Add files"
> as you can see no tab named "Dependency" where I can do anything like
> the suggested action.

Sorry, I meant "requirement". I have translated it a bit wrong on the fly...

> However, the "New requirement" tab has a combobox with "Package name"
> as its designator so I used that to select the SDpoSerialLaz package.
>
> Then I also removed two Sdpo-related paths from the Project options
> and made a quick compile. Working!
>
> Thanks, this looks much cleaner.

You're welcome :)

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

wkitty42
On 1/31/2011 10:30, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> hat am 31. Januar 2011 um 16:06 geschrieben:
>
>  >[..]
>  > > CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
>  > > finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)
>  >
>  > OK, but I don't even know what it is.
>
> Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?

because he is a new developer to this lazarus environment and is still, like
many, trying to learn the environment and its various nuances ;)

granted, he (bo) has a delphi background but many do not... [facetious] having a
delphi background is not a requirement is it? [/facetious]

On 1/31/2011 11:27, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Being a developer does not mean that one searches out each and every
> item in an IDE and learns its use. I sure don't when I am just
> evaluating lazarus and fpc as a development platform alternative to
> Delphi...

+100

or even just trying to get involved and learn the environment as it is along
with its growing and living beingness :P

On 1/31/2011 13:41, Sven Barth wrote:
> While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a possibilty I
> personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the Project Inspector and
> click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and search for your Sdpo package
> in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package will appear as dependency in the
> Project Inspector besides LCL (and maybe FCL).

i think there's a step missing in here... consider a total newbie's situation...
reading each and every word and step as it is written... "search for your [...]
package in the combobox. Now click Ok."... ummm... ok, it is found in the list
of packages... am i supposed to click on it and then click OK or am i just
making sure that it is listed??

i recall a time, way back yonder, when i discovered a major bug in the published
documentation of the Tandy 1000... this was a machine with no HD so it had to
boot off of a floppy disk in drive A:... after an initial season of selling
these machines, there was a flurry of people coming in with machines that would
not boot... careful questioning turned up that they were following the
documentation exactly as it was written... to whit (and from memory)...

"insert the master boot disk in drive A: and turn on the machine. once it is
booted, we need to make a backup copy of the master boot disk so that we will
use the copy instead of the master in case there are problems. type in 'format
a:' and hit enter. follow the prompts. when the process is finished, reboot the
machine with the newly made disk"

the problem was that they never told the new machine owner to place a blank
floppy in the drive! so everyone was formatting their master boot disks! it
didn't take me long to discover the problem and get it reported to Radio Shack
headquarters for them to figure out a fix... in the mean time, anyone who called
or came in with this problem was told to come by the store and they were given
two sets of boot disks... one to store and one to use... IIRC, i also told them
to bring their original masters and fixed them so that they contained their
original contents as well...

as many have found, the devil is in the details... especially the explicit
details that we, who have been doing this forever, assume that everyone knows
already :P

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Hans-Peter Diettrich
waldo kitty schrieb:

>>  > > CGILazIDE is deprecated for some time now and as it seems
>>  > > finally gone (or renamed?). If you don't need it, kick it out ;-)
>>  >
>>  > OK, but I don't even know what it is.
>>
>> Well, if you as developer do not know, how should the IDE know?
>
> because he is a new developer to this lazarus environment and is still,
> like many, trying to learn the environment and its various nuances ;)

The package descriptions often are quite useless. IMO they should answer
questions like above.

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:55:07 -0500, waldo kitty
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>i recall a time, way back yonder, when i discovered a major bug in the published
>documentation of the Tandy 1000... this was a machine with no HD so it had to
>boot off of a floppy disk in drive A:... after an initial season of selling
>these machines, there was a flurry of people coming in with machines that would
>not boot... careful questioning turned up that they were following the
>documentation exactly as it was written... to whit (and from memory)...
>
>"insert the master boot disk in drive A: and turn on the machine. once it is
>booted, we need to make a backup copy of the master boot disk so that we will
>use the copy instead of the master in case there are problems. type in 'format
>a:' and hit enter. follow the prompts. when the process is finished, reboot the
>machine with the newly made disk"
>
>the problem was that they never told the new machine owner to place a blank
>floppy in the drive! so everyone was formatting their master boot disks! it
>didn't take me long to discover the problem and get it reported to Radio Shack
>headquarters for them to figure out a fix... in the mean time, anyone who called
>or came in with this problem was told to come by the store and they were given
>two sets of boot disks... one to store and one to use... IIRC, i also told them
>to bring their original masters and fixed them so that they contained their
>original contents as well...
>
>as many have found, the devil is in the details... especially the explicit
>details that we, who have been doing this forever, assume that everyone knows
>already :P

Backups are good to have if treated correctly....
Back in the end of the 1970:s I was working at a company devloping
stuff in two different areas, instrumentation and factory automation.
We used Motorola 6800 microprocessors and the development system
(assembler of course) was from Motorola. Big box with two 8" floppt
drives.
The procedure was to always keep backups, so this other automation guy
(I was in instrumentation) had I believe no less than 4 backups.

Anyway he loaded the original and it failed, so he turned to the
backup and it failed. Hmm, next backup but it also failed.
Then he blindly continued to the 3rd backup which of course also
failed.
Finally he actually started thinking and did *not* feed the 4th
backup.
The problem was that the floppy drive was faulty and actually
destroyed the disks!
He got away with it but that was really luck, if he had continued the
work would have been lost.

So backups are fine, but you need to treat them with respect. Normally
they should not be needed for restoration, just as insurance.

Am 01.02.2011 01:55, schrieb waldo kitty:

> On 1/31/2011 13:41, Sven Barth wrote:
>> While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a
>> possibilty I
>> personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the Project
>> Inspector and
>> click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and search for your Sdpo
>> package
>> in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package will appear as dependency
>> in the
>> Project Inspector besides LCL (and maybe FCL).
>
> i think there's a step missing in here... consider a total newbie's
> situation... reading each and every word and step as it is written...
> "search for your [...] package in the combobox. Now click Ok."...
> ummm... ok, it is found in the list of packages... am i supposed to
> click on it and then click OK or am i just making sure that it is listed??

In principle you are right that there is a step missing (and thanks for
pointing out), but I don't consider Bo a complete newbie as he's already
worked with Delphi before and he's also managed to follow my
instructions with a bit of freedom (e.g. "requirement" <> "dependeny")
as his mail proves. :D

On 2/1/2011 04:01, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 01.02.2011 01:55, schrieb waldo kitty:
>> On 1/31/2011 13:41, Sven Barth wrote:
>>> While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a
>>> possibilty I personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open
>>> the Project Inspector and click the "plus". Select the Tab
>>> "Dependency" and search for your Sdpo package in the combobox. Now
>>> click Ok. Your package will appear as dependency in the Project
>>> Inspector besides LCL (and maybe FCL).
>>
>> i think there's a step missing in here... consider a total newbie's
>> situation... reading each and every word and step as it is written...
>> "search for your [...] package in the combobox. Now click Ok."...
>> ummm... ok, it is found in the list of packages... am i supposed to
>> click on it and then click OK or am i just making sure that it is listed??
>
> In principle you are right that there is a step missing (and thanks for pointing
> out), but I don't consider Bo a complete newbie as he's already worked with
> Delphi before and he's also managed to follow my instructions with a bit of
> freedom (e.g. "requirement" <> "dependeny") as his mail proves. :D

you are correct, bo is moving right along and making it work... and i also want
to thank you for taking my post as it was intended :)

Re: [Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:37:48 -0500, waldo kitty
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> In principle you are right that there is a step missing (and thanks for pointing
>> out), but I don't consider Bo a complete newbie as he's already worked with
>> Delphi before and he's also managed to follow my instructions with a bit of
>> freedom (e.g. "requirement" <> "dependeny") as his mail proves. :D
>
>you are correct, bo is moving right along and making it work... and i also want
>to thank you for taking my post as it was intended :)

I am not used to Lazarus/FPC and I also have trouble some times to
find relevant information on the web. So I come here for advice.
I must say that this group is very good in supplying the relevant
solutions most of the time! :-)
And given some hints I usually could go in the right direction.

So thank you all who contribute to help a lazarus newbie get going!
I hope I am not overusing the group, though....