[Lazarus] Best examples of cross platform visual file or folder search application?

[Lazarus] Best examples of cross platform visual file or folder search application?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I am sure someone has to have written a program to do this, yet I don't know of any off hand or through a cursory google search.

Can anyone tell me if there are any popular minimal programs which allow users to search for files or folders on their computer using wildcard matching for file names, optionally containing some text, optionally with a range of file sizes or file modified dates?

All this in a simple stand alone application with a nice search results grid and available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Re: [Lazarus] Best examples of cross platform visual file or folder search application?

On 22/08/2019 3:20 am, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if there are any popular minimal programs which allow
> users to search for files or folders on their computer using wildcard

I can think of a few, though the SearchRec is not hard to use at all, so
is very easy to knock up exactly what you need.

Anyway, take a look at these:

  *  DoubleCmd (Double Commander) project
  *  See the "Iterator Pattern" article I wrote. You can very quickly
     adapt the regex iterator by feeding it SearchRec results and then
     filter out the output.
  *  In the fpGUI "core" code there is a cross-platform file searching
     class with filtering support. It is used to feed results into
     fpGUI's File Open/Save dialog.

I'm sure there are many more such examples.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Best examples of cross platform visual file or folder search application?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/flyingsheep/code/trunk/MijnLib/enumdirs.pas

--
Bart

Re: [Lazarus] Best examples of cross platform visual file or folder search application?

Thank you for the replies. I think what I was getting at is not the code related to such a program, but the user interface design and popularity of such a program. I think most of you remember Microsoft implemented a file search into XP featuring an animate dog and a small form:

But since Vista it's been replaced with a simplified edit box and many search options are either hidden or harder to use. I've already written a working cross platform search program (image of it below), but don't understand why I can find this type of user interface design in any current desktop OS or in the form of a tiny popular 3rd party program. Is it that users don't want a file / folder search form, or that at some point an OS dropped this kind of functionality and everyone else followed suite by copying them and removing file / folder search forms? Do you people prefer no file / folder search forms in your desktop OS?