[Lazarus] Annoyance with 1.8RC5

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi All!

I have been using RC5 for a couple of days and am annoyed by one
change.  Maybe its a configuration item that I can't find, but I would
really like to turn off 'Always on Top' for the Object Inspector,
Messages, Call Stack and other IDE forms.

I've been using Delphi since version 1 and got used to being able to
click on an IDE form to bring it to the front.  Now I have to slide it
out of the way or minimize it (if possible) to get access to other forms
or the running application.

What can I do about this?

Thanks,

Don

Re: [Lazarus] Annoyance with 1.8RC5

On 15.10.2017 17:05, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus wrote:
> What can I do about this?

Find the revision that broke it and fill a bug report. And please give
information about your OS and WS. I assume you are on Linux/Gtk2.

Ondrej

On 10/15/2017 01:51 PM, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> On 15.10.2017 17:05, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus wrote:
>> What can I do about this?
>
> Find the revision that broke it and fill a bug report. And please give
> information about your OS and WS. I assume you are on Linux/Gtk2.
>
> Ondrej

ok  I'll try

Re: [Lazarus] Annoyance with 1.8RC5

I agree with Don, Object Inspector "always on top" is in the way for
other forms. Actually, this issue came up a year ago and was resolved.
Now popped up again.

@Don did you find and report the revision that reintroduced this behaviour?

On 10/26/2017 09:42 PM, kapibara wrote:
> I agree with Don, Object Inspector "always on top" is in the way for
> other forms. Actually, this issue came up a year ago and was resolved.
> Now popped up again.
>
> @Don did you find and report the revision that reintroduced this
> behaviour?

I found that it appeared (in the source) going from RC4 to RC5.  I
dropped back to RC4 so I can get some work done;-).
I tried to find the exact units involved but I couldn't find them.

On 15.10.2017 19:53, Donald Ziesig wrote:
> ok I'll try

The easiest way is to get SVN sources and then bisect the guilty
version: http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_To_Help_Developing_Lazarus .
Read "Dealing with regressions".

Ondrej

On 27/10/17 02:42, kapibara via Lazarus wrote:

> I agree with Don, Object Inspector "always on top" is in the way for
> other forms. Actually, this issue came up a year ago and was resolved.
> Now popped up again.
>
> @Don did you find and report the revision that reintroduced this behaviour?
>

> On 10/15/2017 05:05 PM, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus wrote:
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I have been using RC5 for a couple of days and am annoyed by one
>> change.  Maybe its a configuration item that I can't find, but I would
>> really like to turn off 'Always on Top' for the Object Inspector,
>> Messages, Call Stack and other IDE forms.
>>
>> I've been using Delphi since version 1 and got used to being able to
>> click on an IDE form to bring it to the front.  Now I have to slide it
>> out of the way or minimize it (if possible) to get access to other
>> forms or the running application.
>>
>> What can I do about this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Don

I think this is:

There is a patch there that fixes the problem.

Colin