[Lazarus] Android & iOS

Direct to the subject:
Can I create Apps for Android and iOS using Lazarus nowadays?

I've seen frameworks like Castle-Engine that have a Tool which claims to be more easy to building and packaging Apps:

This framework looks like a piece of art, but I'm more interested to build business applications with Forms, Grids, Lists and so on.

I believe that Ionic framework is a good choice to build mobile apps, but if could have such apps using Free Pascal and Lazarus, would be nice.

Can I do that using Lazarus and its default widgets?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Android & iOS

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Direct to the subject:
> Can I create Apps for Android and iOS using Lazarus nowadays?
>
> I've seen frameworks like Castle-Engine that have a Tool which claims to be
> more easy to building and packaging Apps:
> https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/wiki/Build-Tool
>
> This framework looks like a piece of art, but I'm more interested to build
> business applications with Forms, Grids, Lists and so on.
>
> I believe that Ionic framework is a good choice to build mobile apps, but
> if could have such apps using Free Pascal and Lazarus, would be nice.
>
> Can I do that using Lazarus and its default widgets?

You can create some form of apps using the customdrawn
widgetset, but I cannot honestly recommend this approach. I do not think it
works on iOS (I could be mistaken) and it looks simply abysmal on android.

I have created some android apps using the FPC JVM compiler, but then you
need to start all over for iOS. I believe there is still some iOS desiger
package by Joost van der Sluis.

So at the moment the developer experience would not be very good,
I think you're better off using a HTML5 based Ionic app.

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can create some form of apps using the customdrawn
widgetset, but I cannot honestly recommend this approach. I do not think it
works on iOS (I could be mistaken) and it looks simply abysmal on android.

I have created some android apps using the FPC JVM compiler, but then you
need to start all over for iOS. I believe there is still some iOS desiger
package by Joost van der Sluis.

So at the moment the developer experience would not be very good, I think you're better off using a HTML5 based Ionic app.

Ok Michael, thanks for the advice.

Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Android & iOS

On 04.07.2017 08:04, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> So at the moment the developer experience would not be very good, I
> think you're better off using a HTML5 based Ionic app.

This of course is bad news, but we do hope for improvement when time
comes....

See -> http://www.remobjects.com/ .
They claim to allow for writing multi-target pascal applications:
"NEW: Elements 9.1, Oxygene, C# & Swift, for iOS, Android, Mac, .NET &
more."

(Of course not free / Open Source)
-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] Android & iOS

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
They claim Delphi VCL compatibility and hence it should be compatible to
LCL, as well.

-> http://www.elementscompiler.com/elements/whatsnew.aspx

(I did not test any of their products.)

On 05/07/17 10:30, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
> They claim Delphi VCL compatibility and hence it should be compatible to
> LCL, as well.
> -> http://www.elementscompiler.com/elements/whatsnew.aspx
> (I did not test any of their products.)

Might also be worth bering
https://blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2017/05/kotlin-on-android-now-official/
in mind. Not Pascal, but at least was designed with Pascal in mind.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Android & iOS

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Michael Schnell via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
This of course is bad news, but we do hope for improvement when time comes....

See -> http://www.remobjects.com/ .
They claim to allow for writing multi-target pascal applications:
"NEW: Elements 9.1, Oxygene, C# & Swift, for iOS, Android, Mac, .NET & more."

(Of course not free / Open Source)

I've read something about RemObjects but I prefer stay in FPC that is Open Source.
But thanks, anyway.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Android & iOS

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Might also be worth bering https://blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2017/05/kotlin-on-android-now-official/ in mind. Not Pascal, but at least was designed with Pascal in mind.

I didn't know Kotlin compiles to iOS.
They are using LLVM — but FPC has a branch for that too, right? — but "...Kotlin/Native is far from complete, so this Technology Preview has a number of limitations that will be eliminated at later stages" see https://blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2017/04/kotlinnative-tech-preview-kotlin-without-a-vm/

So, I believe Ionic and JavaScript is winning until now.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

[Lazarus] Android & iOS

I you limit yourself to Android: with LAMW you can make perfect Android apps !

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Alfred via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I you limit yourself to Android: with LAMW you can make perfect Android apps !

I saw this project. Looks good... but my client needs Android and iOS so... :(

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas