[Lazarus] Alternative linker

Mark Morgan Lloyd
When building Lazarus on Linux, is there an easy way to tell fpc to use
gold rather than ld to get comparative timings?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Alternative linker

leledumbo
Administrator
You can try fooling the compiler by making ld symlink to gold (of course you better back up your real ld)

Re: [Lazarus] Alternative linker

Andrew Haines
On 06/03/11 17:47, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> When building Lazarus on Linux, is there an easy way to tell fpc to use
> gold rather than ld to get comparative timings?

If you compile your program with -s a "ppas.sh" file will be generated
which you can edit and then run to link the program.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Haines wrote:
> On 06/03/11 17:47, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> When building Lazarus on Linux, is there an easy way to tell fpc to use
>> gold rather than ld to get comparative timings?
>>

> If you compile your program with -s a "ppas.sh" file will be generated
> which you can edit and then run to link the program.

Thanks, but that's something I specifically don't want to do since I'm
trying to get a reproducible time for building Lazarus on a very tight
system.

leledumbo wrote:
> You can try fooling the compiler by making ld symlink to gold (of course you
> better back up your real ld)

Thanks, that had occurred to me. As a general point I notice that in the
case of Debian ld is a symlink internal to /usr/bin, rather than going
through /etc/default which is their normal convention.

In practice it looks as though as of binutils 2.20.1 gold is only being
shipped for x86, and I don't want to know the answer to the extent that
I'll start investigating why.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Alternative linker

Marco van de Voort
On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:14:38AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > which you can edit and then run to link the program.
>
> Thanks, but that's something I specifically don't want to do since I'm
> trying to get a reproducible time for building Lazarus on a very tight
> system.

Pass parameter -XPnonsense- and make a symlink of nonsense-as, nonsense-ar and
nonsense-ld  to the ones you want.

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:14:38AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> which you can edit and then run to link the program.
>> Thanks, but that's something I specifically don't want to do since I'm
>> trying to get a reproducible time for building Lazarus on a very tight
>> system.
>
> Pass parameter -XPnonsense- and make a symlink of nonsense-as, nonsense-ar and
> nonsense-ld  to the ones you want.

Thanks Marco, noted.