[Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

[Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

silvioprog
Hi,

Please see here:

Thx.

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys
Hi,

> Please see here:

Please DO NOT copy Delphi units into the Lazarus project. All those
Delphi units are Copyright to Borland/Embarcadero.

  - Graeme -

2012/7/27 Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> > Please see here:
> >
> > http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22516
>

> Please DO NOT copy Delphi units into the Lazarus project. All those
> Delphi units are Copyright to Borland/Embarcadero.
>
> --
> Regards,
>   - Graeme -
> fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net

So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.

If the Gauge has copyright, can close the issue without problems.

Thanks.

On 27 July 2012 11:20, silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.

All units shipped with Delphi is copyrighted. It must have simply been
an oversight on their part if the gauges.pas unit doesn't have that
notice, but other units in the Samples directory does indeed have
copyright information. I'm pretty sure I also read somewhere in the
Delphi license that all code supplied by the Delphi product is
copyrighted too.

> If the Gauge has copyright, can close the issue without problems.

Mattias already declined and closed the issue. I simply wanted to
bring this to your attention - and to any future developer that are
thinking of copying Delphi code with the purpose of adding it into
Lazarus.

  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

silvioprog
2012/7/27 Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> On 27 July 2012 11:20, silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
>> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.
>
> All units shipped with Delphi is copyrighted. It must have simply been
> an oversight on their part if the gauges.pas unit doesn't have that
> notice, but other units in the Samples directory does indeed have
> copyright information. I'm pretty sure I also read somewhere in the
> Delphi license that all code supplied by the Delphi product is
> copyrighted too.
>

>> If the Gauge has copyright, can close the issue without problems.
>
> Mattias already declined and closed the issue. I simply wanted to
> bring this to your attention - and to any future developer that are
> thinking of copying Delphi code with the purpose of adding it into
> Lazarus.
>
> --
> Regards,
>   - Graeme -
> fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net

Yes, thank you Graeme!

I closed the issue, and thank for the informations about copyright too. ;)

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Mark Morgan Lloyd
silvioprog wrote:

> I closed the issue, and thank for the informations about copyright too. ;)

But I agree that a decent collection of gauges and knobs could be an asset.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

leledumbo
Administrator

leledumbo wrote:
> I think we already have them:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/uE_Controls
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/BGRAControls#TBGRAKnob

I've looked at the uE stuff in the past and for some reason decided it
wasn't appropriate. I really can't remember whether this was because it
required some non-portable underlying library, or what my excuse was :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Giuliano Colla
Mark Morgan Lloyd ha scritto:
> leledumbo wrote:
>> I think we already have them:
>> http://wiki.freepascal.org/uE_Controls
>> http://wiki.freepascal.org/BGRAControls#TBGRAKnob
>
> I've looked at the uE stuff in the past and for some reason decided it
> wasn't appropriate. I really can't remember whether this was because it
> required some non-portable underlying library, or what my excuse was :-)

Time ago, I fell in the same trap: for fpGui I simply took the TGauge
component which I had lifted from Delphi and adapted to Lazarus, with
the changes required to make it work in fpGui environment.

Then Graeme pointed to me that I had been using copyrighted material, so
I rewrote the code, making it different from the Delphi original.

Now in fpGui you may find a TGauge component, which has inherited the
functionalities of the Delphi component (plus some extra) but doesn't
share code with Delphi. Anybody can lift it from there, and adapt it
back to Lazarus environment (where it originally came from).

I was planning to do it myself, but being quite busy and also lazy, I've
been always postponing. If nobody does it before, one day or another
I'll do it.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is connected
(anonymous)

2012/7/27 Giuliano Colla <[hidden email]>:
[...] If nobody does it before, one day or another I'll do it.

> Giuliano
>
> --
> Giuliano Colla
>
> Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is connected
> (anonymous)

Me too.

I think I'll create a Gauge from zero, and send it to Lazarus team. (I
do not want more problems with copyright hehehe ^^' )

silvioprog wrote:

> 2012/7/27 Giuliano Colla <[hidden email]>:
> [...] If nobody does it before, one day or another I'll do it.
>> Giuliano
>>
>> --
>> Giuliano Colla
>>
>> Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is connected
>> (anonymous)
>
> Me too.
>
> I think I'll create a Gauge from zero, and send it to Lazarus team. (I
> do not want more problems with copyright hehehe ^^' )

Do that and I'll contribute my SNMP MIB to Pascal compiler :-) Although
SNMP's usage of "gauge" is obviously a bit odd.

If you start one off and post it somewhere, I'll knock together a test
program that monitors our UPSes, at the very least that would be a
decent portability test. At present I'm using KNutClient, but there are
graphics I don't like such as quadrant meters with max at top-left.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

silvioprog
2012/7/27 Mark Morgan Lloyd <[hidden email]>:
[...]
> Do that and I'll contribute my SNMP MIB to Pascal compiler :-) Although
> SNMP's usage of "gauge" is obviously a bit odd.

:D

> If you start one off and post it somewhere, I'll knock together a test
> program that monitors our UPSes, at the very least that would be a decent
> portability test. At present I'm using KNutClient, but there are graphics I
> don't like such as quadrant meters with max at top-left.
>
> --
> Mark Morgan Lloyd
> markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>
> [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

It would be interesting the gauge component natively in Lazarus. The
gauge is a nice and faster progress indicator. We can create it using
tshape, or anything that shows progress without "flicker" (I use
doublebuffered to solve flicker in progressbar ¬¬' ).

Please see this comparision:

http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2012-July/075027.html

I don't know if the Lazarus team will accept the gauge component
natively in the Lazarus, but it would be very interesting a component
of this type available after installing the IDE. ;)

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Juha Manninen
On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 4:54 AM, silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know if the Lazarus team will accept the gauge component
natively in the Lazarus, but it would be very interesting a component
of this type available after installing the IDE. ;)

I think it will be accepted.

I am using this thread now to mention another component which should be improved without copying code from Delphi:
  TValueListEditor
I made a basic version already some time ago. Then I studied Delphi's code and added some skeleton methods which only have comments explaining what it should do. Someone else can create code based on the comments.
There are many other features missing completely.
Patches are welcome.

Regards

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Sven Barth
On 28.07.2012 00:43, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Do that and I'll contribute my SNMP MIB to Pascal compiler :-) Although
> SNMP's usage of "gauge" is obviously a bit odd.

You have a SNMP MIP to Pascal compiler? This is such a good timing then,
because I'll need that in a couple of weeks for a monitoring project at
the university :)

Sven Barth wrote:
> On 28.07.2012 00:43, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Do that and I'll contribute my SNMP MIB to Pascal compiler :-) Although
>> SNMP's usage of "gauge" is obviously a bit odd.
>
> You have a SNMP MIP to Pascal compiler? This is such a good timing then,
> because I'll need that in a couple of weeks for a monitoring project at
> the university :)

You're welcome to it, but here's the health warning :-)

What I've done is relied on an MIB being run through smidump and stored
as a file. Provided that that works, I run that file through a recursive
descent parser (circa 1964 vintage :-) and eventually output a class
definition for each described object. All descriptive text etc. is
preserved and I've been careful with formatting, output files can get
big (>500Kb for RFC1213_MIB.pas).

What I've not done is the final stage where objects are instantiated
with an IP address etc., including code to interface to e.g. Synapse. I
couldn't work out how best to do that, ideally it wouldn't rely on any
more processing stages, and something else cropped up.

What I should have done was work directly from the data structures built
up by the sming (?) library, but I couldn't get my head round how they
were representing things and working from a human-readable file was easier.

What I wanted to do was to be able to instantiate e.g. a router as a
graphical component contained in a DLL, so that each DLL could have its
own mix of classes; ultimately, something like a tailored Lazarus for
building NMSes. However that's moving outside my abilities.

/If/ it turned out there was money to be made out of it we could use
some :-)

On 27 July 2012 23:23, silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I'll create a Gauge from zero, and send it to Lazarus team. (I
> do not want more problems with copyright hehehe ^^' )

fpGUI's components are licence compatible with LCL components. So you
can save yourself some time and simply port the fpGUI's TfpgGauge
component to LCL. The fpGUI one works very well, supports various
styles (bar, text, needle, pie etc) and is very fast. Have a look in
<fpgui>/src/gui/fpg_gauge.pas

  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Hans-Peter Diettrich
silvioprog schrieb:

> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.

Current (international) copyright requires that an *author* is
identified with every unit/document, or for all parts of a project. This
author can give permission for the use of the unit.

It's too easy to remove a copyright notice, but doing so doesn't make
the document PD.

DoDi

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> silvioprog schrieb:
>
>> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
>> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.
>
> Current (international) copyright requires that an *author* is
> identified with every unit/document, or for all parts of a project. This
> author can give permission for the use of the unit.

But at the same time, a collection can be copyrighted even if the
constituent parts can't be by virtue of being PD or purely factual. So
if, as an example, a proprietary development tool took PD example code
and added a project file or makefile, they would have a defensible
copyright applicable to the overall assemblage even if what they'd added
wasn't marked.

Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:

> Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> silvioprog schrieb:
>>
>>> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
>>> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.
>>
>> Current (international) copyright requires that an *author* is
>> identified with every unit/document, or for all parts of a project.
>> This author can give permission for the use of the unit.
>
> But at the same time, a collection can be copyrighted even if the
> constituent parts can't be by virtue of being PD or purely factual.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In German (EU?) law such a collection
can have it's own protection *as a whole*, regardless of and not
affecting the original protection or rights on its components.

> So
> if, as an example, a proprietary development tool took PD example code
> and added a project file or makefile, they would have a defensible
> copyright applicable to the overall assemblage even if what they'd added
> wasn't marked.

Then the PD parts, and whatever else has been added from third parties,
can be pulled out of the collection by everybody, and can be used at the
original conditions applicable to every single part.

The Win-SDK part of older Delphi Help is such a part, whose rightholder
still is Microsoft. It can be assumed that Borland has obtained the
right to distribute these files, otherwise they had not been allowed to
do so.

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Héctor F. Fiandor Rosario
Please, some time ago I have made this screen for an application to simulate
a comercial flight.

Is this you are talking about?

thanks in advance,

Ing. Héctor F. Fiandor Rosario

Este mensaje le ha llegado mediante el servicio de correo electronico que ofrece Infomed para respaldar el cumplimiento de las misiones del Sistema Nacional de Salud. La persona que envia este correo asume el compromiso de usar el servicio a tales fines y cumplir con las regulaciones establecidas

Infomed: http://www.sld.cu/

pantallaAT.jpg (95K) Download Attachment