[Lazarus] Accessing USB HID from Lazarus programs?

[Lazarus] Accessing USB HID from Lazarus programs?

Bo Berglund
I need to create a program using Lazarus/FPC to access a data
collection device built using a PIC24F series microprocessor with
built-in USB support. The firmware makes the PIC processor register as
a Human Interface Device (HID) class USB device.

I understand that for the HID class one does not have to provide a USB
driver, there is already a generic one on Windows and possibly also on
Linux.
And the HID interface is not limited to mice and such, for example the
PicKit3 PIC programmer and ICE uses the HID driver and it can both
program code into PIC:s and execute PIC code with breakpoints from
within MPLAB (the PIC develeopment IDE).

My objective is to read the data from the data collection device using
the USB interface and display the data on screen and also save to the
PC disk.
My FPC program should be able to run on Windows and preferably also on
Linux.

But I can't find any good examples on how to access the USB HID
device....

Can someone here please provide some help, links to code examples or
similar?

Or is this OT for this list since it is basically a hardware access
question?

[Lazarus] FW: Accessing USB HID from Lazarus programs?

Peter Williams
Hi Bo,

I found these 2 links with google. They discuss the unit libusb which seems to work (I have NOT tried it myself).

http://laurensdelangeelectronics.blogspot.com/2011/01/interfacing-with-usb-parallel-port.html

It appears from the article that it only works as a linux superuser. I suggest that it would probably work in Windows.

PEW