[Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

[Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
I've been working on this project for more than a month and against my better judgement I'm posting a link. I thought maybe this long holiday weekend some people somewhere might look at it and give me some feedback (watch the video):

http://www.baregame.org/

Hint: It's a class library written around SDL 2.0 and includes an installer as well as recent binaries of SDL 2.0 for 32/64 bit Windows an Linux.

If you look at the site, please bear in mind i haven't had time to write up everything yet. Let me know what you think.

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Kjow
2013/5/23 Anthony Walter <[hidden email]>
I've been working on this project for more than a month and against my better judgement I'm posting a link. I thought maybe this long holiday weekend some people somewhere might look at it and give me some feedback (watch the video):

http://www.baregame.org/

Hint: It's a class library written around SDL 2.0 and includes an installer as well as recent binaries of SDL 2.0 for 32/64 bit Windows an Linux.

If you look at the site, please bear in mind i haven't had time to write up everything yet. Let me know what you think.

WOW!
Awesome, I will try it soon!

Kjow

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

duilio foschi-2
impressive!

A cosmetic bug in the main page of the site
How Everything is Orgranized

should be (of course)
How Everything is Organized

HTH
Duilio

2013/5/23 Kjow <[hidden email]>
2013/5/23 Anthony Walter <[hidden email]>
I've been working on this project for more than a month and against my better judgement I'm posting a link. I thought maybe this long holiday weekend some people somewhere might look at it and give me some feedback (watch the video):

http://www.baregame.org/

Hint: It's a class library written around SDL 2.0 and includes an installer as well as recent binaries of SDL 2.0 for 32/64 bit Windows an Linux.

If you look at the site, please bear in mind i haven't had time to write up everything yet. Let me know what you think.

WOW!
Awesome, I will try it soon!

Kjow

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Marcos Douglas
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Anthony Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working on this project for more than a month and against my
> better judgement I'm posting a link. I thought maybe this long holiday
> weekend some people somewhere might look at it and give me some feedback
> (watch the video):
>
> http://www.baregame.org/
>
> Hint: It's a class library written around SDL 2.0 and includes an installer
> as well as recent binaries of SDL 2.0 for 32/64 bit Windows an Linux.
>
> If you look at the site, please bear in mind i haven't had time to write up
> everything yet. Let me know what you think.

Awesome.
Where is the source?

Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
Marco,

I've updated the installation topic to include a direct link to the source code. The resources topic has download links to other files (installer, sdl 2.0 binaries).

Here is a link to a direct download of the source:

http://www.baregame.org/download/?file=bare.7z

Compilation requires FPC 2.7.1 trunk or greater.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Anthony Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marco,
>
> I've updated the installation topic to include a direct link to the source
> code. The resources topic has download links to other files (installer, sdl
> 2.0 binaries).
>
> Here is a link to a direct download of the source:
>
> http://www.baregame.org/download/?file=bare.7z
>
> Compilation requires FPC 2.7.1 trunk or greater.

Because the use of dots in namespaces?
I'm use 2.6.2 but I will try it.

Please, use Git to the sources!  ;-)

Thank you.
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
The dots in the name spaces are a small part of it. I use a lot of generics and record types which require features Sven Barth has added.

IBitmap = interface(ICloneable<IBitmap>)
TObjectList<TItem: TObject> = class(TIndexedList<TItem>)
TPointF = record public class function Create(X, Y: Float): TPointF; overload; static;

I have a github account and will host everything there (soon) including the topic documentation files, which along with the source code comments define what happens when I "build" the website. I've just been busy with other stuff like editing videos and writing tools/scripts and addition to testings and modifying the library code itself.

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
Also I should note, the installer doesn't mess with your existing FPC/Lazarus settings. It uses private FPC and Lazarus configurations bases on your chosen installation path.

Translation, you can run the installer and choose the FPC and Lazarus options (you'll get a very recent prebuilt FPC and Larzus from trunk sources) and it won't mess up your other FPC/Lazarus settings.

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Hi Anthony,

Nice work and all the best.

Some minor errors in your website:

1) Main page "Description" section.
  "...write once compile anywhere philosophy with with SDL..."

  Note the double 'with' usage.

2) Under "How everything is organised"
  "... As such, everything is very easy easy to reorganize"

  Note the double 'easy' usage.

3) Under "How everything is organised"
  "...As such, everything is very easy easy to reorganize"

  Note: mixed spelling or organised. In the title you use the English
  spelling of the work, but in the text you use the American English
  spelling.  s vs z

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
Fixed.

I also added a git repository at https://github.com/sysrpl/Bare.Game which includes the doc files (under source/docs). The docs contain everything on the website. I am new to open source collaboration, and I was planning on allowing others to edit these files, but am unsure how to administrate other people and their revisions. I guess I am looking for some mentoring with regards to collaboration and if anyone wants to offer assistance I'd appreciate it.

Side note: I've been aware of a small issue referenced here:

http://www.baregame.org/#topic_known_issues

Cannot compile program error points to imaging unit (to fix: double click the barerun package in the project inspector then press the package compile button)

Does anyone know what this happens and how to prevent others from getting that same error? It only happens if you are writing a program which references the package if the package hasn't been compiled yet.

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Anthony Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fixed.
>
> I also added a git repository at https://github.com/sysrpl/Bare.Game which
> includes the doc files (under source/docs). The docs contain everything on
> the website. I am new to open source collaboration, and I was planning on
> allowing others to edit these files, but am unsure how to administrate other
> people and their revisions. I guess I am looking for some mentoring with
> regards to collaboration and if anyone wants to offer assistance I'd
> appreciate it.

Using github others people can fork your project and send, to you, a
"Pull Request". You can merge or not those changes with a click on the
button.

> Side note: I've been aware of a small issue referenced here:
>
> http://www.baregame.org/#topic_known_issues
>
> Cannot compile program error points to imaging unit (to fix: double click
> the barerun package in the project inspector then press the package compile
> button)
>
> Does anyone know what this happens and how to prevent others from getting
> that same error? It only happens if you are writing a program which
> references the package if the package hasn't been compiled yet.

Regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] ANN: New free pascal library released based on SDL 2.0

Anthony Walter
Ah okay, then I guess as it is right now anyone could send me changes with a pull request. Thanks.