[Lazarus] A (simple) picture of Lazarus

shoKwave
Hi list,

from time to time there is a user (like me about one year ago) confused
of how to install Lazarus and where to place all the files. There are
some tutorials out there which tell the user to create a special
structure of directories  and copy files from here to there. But the
truth is there are no rules where to place and how to name the base
directories. It's highly configurable because of the ability of multiple
installations.

Today I had some time and made some graphics of my understanding of how
Lazarus "works".

Any comments are welcome. You are free to change and use these graphics
on a tutorial or Wiki or what ever you want.

--
regards

Ingo

LazDirs.odg (27K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] A (simple) picture of Lazarus

Andreas Schneider
 On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:03:31 +0100, shoKwave wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> from time to time there is a user (like me about one year ago)
> confused of how to install Lazarus and where to place all the files.
> There are some tutorials out there which tell the user to create a
> special structure of directories  and copy files from here to there.
> But the truth is there are no rules where to place and how to name
> the
> base directories. It's highly configurable because of the ability of
> multiple installations.
>
> Today I had some time and made some graphics of my understanding of
> how Lazarus "works".
>
> Any comments are welcome. You are free to change and use these
> graphics on a tutorial or Wiki or what ever you want.
>

> --
> regards
>
> Ingo

 Well, it's not that easy.

 fpc.cfg can hold all options that can be given via commandline too. One
 of these options is -FD (IIRC), which could add a different utility
 search path - for example for the binutils.

 Therefore, the GNU binutils don't NEED to be within %PATH%. (btw.,
 "make" and "cp" aren't binutils. "ld", "as" (and a few others) are.)

 Also, each Lazarus project may pass options to the FPC compiler to
 change any options or even switch to other modes (predefined in
 fpc.cfg). It is even possible to load a different config file.

 I guess for a start these graphics may provide some startup help. But
 they may get a wrong impression of how things work and could be confused
 if people suggest other workflows.

 Having such an overview is nice anyhow, but it needs to be refined :-)
 (IMHO)